Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

a well needed dent to the gus ego........

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It wasnt meant to sound pompous - it is only my opinion. Please don't get me wrong - I am very happy with how the season has gone and where we are. But with any club (and with a very ambitious chairman and manager) there will be the questions as to what is needed to move onto the next level. Whether its Crawley looking at league 1 or Charlton looking at the Championship.

We had a great start to the season and then a sticky couple of months when we needed to think through how to improve our style from last year to this, We've done that and are far more penetrative than we were last Oct/Nov for example when teams started to suss us out. the signings of Reyes, Mattock, the two Man C ones, Vokes etc all outline how Gus is looking to evolve the team and build on the strength he has.

If we have ambitions to move to the next level then it is a natural progression and we need to evolve.

We can and will do it - I'm sure. But there will be changes on the way to get there.

I agree and I have to say the most concerned person yesterday might have been Tony Bloom, as I doubt whether Poyet is shy coming forward and demanding upgrading where needed to continue the progression.

But the style wont really change, it might just be delivered by higher grade players and they will cost money.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't blame Bridcutt for either of his two own goals - the threat should have been dealt with by the defence and keeper long before Liam managed to knock it in the back of the net.
I do blame him for the first (not that it matters, everyone makes mistakes), he was it the air and heading in the wrong direction as the ball was cleared off the line. Unlucky, yes, but he shouldn't have been there.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
With an upgrading of players then this style of football will improve and ultimately can deliver genuine success.

If we had gone to Anfield with a different team and style and given it 'a real go' then we were likely to lose anyway, but maybe have offered the fans a battling display which would have been accepted by most.

Thats fine, but the pundits would of just said that we were outclassed and then we could all go home and continue the season in mediocrity.

This is the conundrum, Poyet has a unique belief and style that is nearly exclusive to latin/foreign coaches, its in his DNA and to some extent it is likely to be contrary our own instinctive desire to watch a full bloodied battle in every game, it wont happen.

The 'pay off' for me is a real chance of success, but it might be a bumpy ride.

I'm not saying we should have changed our style for Liverpool, and nor am I saying Gus is flawed in his beliefs. My point is that it was a starker version of what we have seen this season, namely that taking Poyets style of play to teh next level, does require an injection of pace to the style of play. Just rolling it around slowly doesn't hurt better teams. We need to be able to play this way, but be able to up the pace at times to catch better players out. Still passing football, but a quick one-touch interchange that can open a team up.

That is a very hard skill for us to develop, but we need to see who can and who can't do it, then bring in players who can, if we are to continue progressing.

For example, most of our players look comfortable in possession, moving with the ball, and picking a pass, on teh halfway line, but Vicente looks to have the same composure, confidence and time on the ball in a far more advanced area. That, for me, is the big signal of his class, and that is what we need more of.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I think I know what you mean. We got a reality check. Obvs, the score line wasn't great but we were almost certainly going to lose against a very strong Liverpool team.

I doubt you're pleased at the result (as someone suggested) but it will be a great character builder for the squad and Gus.

A bit of humble pie for those "fairweather fans" that seem so confident all the time. Didn't see much facebook banter from one individual last night.

Chill out, we've had a great season. :guitar:

At last - someone who's talking sense
Good on you sir :thumbsup:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm not saying we should have changed our style for Liverpool, and nor am I saying Gus is flawed in his beliefs. My point is that it was a starker version of what we have seen this season, namely that taking Poyets style of play to teh next level, does require an injection of pace to the style of play. Just rolling it around slowly doesn't hurt better teams. We need to be able to play this way, but be able to up the pace at times to catch better players out. Still passing football, but a quick one-touch interchange that can open a team up.

That is a very hard skill for us to develop, but we need to see who can and who can't do it, then bring in players who can, if we are to continue progressing.

For example, most of our players look comfortable in possession, moving with the ball, and picking a pass, on teh halfway line, but Vicente looks to have the same composure, confidence and time on the ball in a far more advanced area. That, for me, is the big signal of his class, and that is what we need more of.

I think we are agreeing.

At times it will look quite boring especially when we aren't delivering results, a win will always validate our style.

I do think however some will find it increasingly frustrating if we hit a run of poor results.

But with the seemingly close relationship between the Chairman and Manager I can see it evolving into a successful period with a more dynamic version of what we are seeing at present.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
For a conspiracy theorist, I'm surprised you've taken a Murdoch headline and non-story at such face value.

well you probably believe tax goes to good, 911 was done by muslims, and invasions into oil rich countries is for freedom.

this makes you a nonsense theorist.

the word conspire is latin and simply means "with breath" - so yes, i do strongly believe much of what goes on in our reality is done with humans collaborating whilst breathing.

i love people who label others without knowing them - remember, no-one is ever a madman, one can only act mad at a specific moment.

the english language is too floored, it creates weird perceptions in peoples minds.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
well you probably believe tax goes to good, 911 was done by muslims, and invasions into oil rich countries is for freedom.

this makes you a nonsense theorist.

the word conspire is latin and simply means "with breath" - so yes, i do strongly believe much of what goes on in our reality is done with humans collaborating whilst breathing.

i love people who label others without knowing them - remember, no-one is ever a madman, one can only act mad at a specific moment.

the english language is too floored, it creates weird perceptions in peoples minds.

Ooooh, a Sixth Form common room rant.

Largely meaningless, and a bit contradictory, but a good rant nonetheless.

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Perhaps Gus will have seen that we do not have the players to play total possession tippy tappy football against good opposition. Trying to keep possession passing aimlessly without making chances, just means that we don't hurt anyone, and when we inevitably give the ball away at some point we are straight back under the cosh. Especially as it is often in dangerous areas of the pitch.

Whilst I reckon, as he has stated, that he doesn't have the players for his style of football at the highest level, I have to agree with what you are saying here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here