Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Victory for Tactics?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
timco said:
Anyone who posts something that states we won but we were lucky is going to be classed miserable just because they dared to do that.

No, people say similar things all the time. It's more the way you did it. Funny how so many people reacted in exactly the same way! Four people used the same word to describe you - miserable. Doesn't that tell you anything?

Such bland responses is usually a sign that they do not have the intellectual capacity to understand the argument, or the mental dexterity to form a counter argument, in your case you don't have that luxury.

I think that should be 'are usually' as the word 'responses' is clearly a plural noun. Furthermore, I have no desire to discuss worktops.

So tell me my little bearded Welshman what have I done too upset you so much?

It should be 'to' not 'too', and I don't have a beard. Nevertheless, it was a good try. C+ for effort.

What you did to upset me was you were a miserable git on a day when the rest of us thought we had done rather well.

Still, all will be forgiven if you sing us a verse or two of "Always look at the bright side of life..."

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Originally posted by Juan Albion
What you did to upset me was you were a miserable git on a day when the rest of us thought we had done rather well. [/i]
I'd use the word honest as opposed to deluded by victory, if the pen had been given then we may not have won, in the chat room I was one of a few batting for victory when the others would have settled for a draw.

As to your picky comments about my writing style that's low, even for you.

Its down to education and I never had one so go hang the lazy bastards who were paid to teach me and failed to do so.

As to Desi's snide comments about wood, no-one is commenting on what we used to be like but what we are like now.

But I will concede that if the tactics were we will give Leicester 3 or 4 good chances to score and they will be too shit to get them on target let alone in the net, then it was a victory for tactics, if not then it was a victory for sheer dumb luck.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You dont get clean sheets away against teams like Leicester due to luck. We harased them contstantly and never let them get any rhythm or flow. im not sure they managed more than 4 or 5 consecutive passes with out their move being broken down by a toe poked in.

Flukey goal i'll grant you, but the fact we didnt concede was down to tactics.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Why not let Micky Adams comment on our performance?

From the BBC website

Leicester boss Micky Adams:
"I'm disgusted. One or two of my players were average and the rest were very poor.

"That display was as poor a performance as I've ever been involved with as a manager. That was not a Micky Adams team out there, that's not the way I want to play.

"I don't want to take anything away from Brighton though because they worked as hard as any team I've ever seen. They're a good bunch of professionals and that's what I'm trying to get here."

Note the phrase 'worked as hard as any team I've ever seen'

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
timco said:

But it was not down to the tactics if we played like that against a team that had something about them we would have got thumped.

Just out of interest what tactics do you think we should use against a team that has "something about them?"

To be honest I think there are teams in this division that have such good players that if they play well we won't be able to beat whatever the tactics (such as Wigan with their 2 Million pound + strikers). I think the best tactics we can use against such teams are those used at Leicester. If we try and play pretty attacking football we'll get thumped.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Kneon Light said:
Just out of interest what tactics do you think we should use against a team that has "something about them?"

To be honest I think there are teams in this division that have such good players that if they play well we won't be able to beat whatever the tactics (such as Wigan with their 2 Million pound + strikers). I think the best tactics we can use against such teams are those used at Leicester. If we try and play pretty attacking football we'll get thumped.

I asked the same question at the beginning of this thread - seems to have been conveniently ignored.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
you make your own luck Timco.
Sure it wasnt a great game, but that isnt the point really is it.
If your expecting us to start keeping possesion of the ball for 90 mins, and cut teams apart in this division with the squad we have then you are watching the wrong team pal.

You have to play with what you have, and to the best formation with those players, and i think Mcghee got it spot on.
The result tells you that.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I refer you to Bozza.

It was a fantastic result, and McGhee and the team can take great confidence from it.

I only saw the last 30 mins on the box, from what I saw Leicester didn't deserve anything from the game.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
I thought we passed the ball better than Leicester did (other than the last 10 mins where anywhere would do !)

Ok we only had 1 shot on target but so did they, and we looked dangerous every time we attacked.

This was NOT a lucky win !

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Tactics my arse.

Two games I haven't been able to listen to, Two victories.

I am open to bribes for the rest of the season

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
I thought McGhee got it just right, we played a style of football that suited the players we had available, and frustrated the opposition. It was a brave decision to play Virgo up front, which could have left him looking like a bit of a tit. As it turned out, he gave 100% and was excellent, putting over-paid arseholes like Kieran Dyer to shame.

The second half substitutions were made at the right time, with Hinshelwood moving into the back four to help Cullip and Butters cope with the extra pressure. Currie looked a bit jaded as well, so replacing him with Jones mad sense.

In fact, it was nice to see an Albion manager making substitutions that everyone seemed to agree with, thinking back to the mystifying changes that Barry Lloyd and Jimmy Case used to make. McGhee definitely earnt his corn this weekend.

:clap:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Come on Timco, I've followed this thread with interest. You are correct to say that football-wise it was a poor game, Leicester were probably the better side, we won with a breakaway goal, the refereeing decisions went our way, and we did not have the lion's share of territory or possession. But you haven't answered the question that Bozza and Kneon Light have asked. What tactics should we have used playing away to the pre-season favorites? Five up front perhaps? No goalkeeper? Leicester huffed and puffed by created very few chances. That cannot be dismissed as pure luck or the fact that, yes, they were poor, but was the result of our tactics and our players doing their jobs to the best of their abilities.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dear Mr McGhee,
I am writing with regard to the shocking tactics you employed in yesterdays match at Leicester City, which we won 1-0. This appalling scoreline was as a direct result of your overly cautious approach and cack-handed judgement in setting up the team. Not that you should need reminding, but can I point you towards our goal difference ? In case you hadn't noticed, it currently stands at -4. Despite this, you approached the match at Leicester with a defensive attitude. For crying out loud man, we should have been looking to rack up a 3 or 4 nil win AT LEAST. Instead, the team defends doggedly, nicks a flukey goal, and then hangs on to it as if this was in some was sufficient or acceptable. Well I'm telling you, it's NOT. Two clean sheets in a row is all well and good, but I thought the whole point of football is SCORING GOALS, so do your job and damn well get them to score some more. What on earth do you do all week for christs sake ? I want nothing less than 12 points from the next 2 games, and four goals scored in EACH match by our OWN players, and NOT by defenders either thank you very much.

I also noticed that it nearly rained yesterday. Had it done so, we would clearly have been beaten out of sight. You are a lucky manager McGhee, everyone knows it, and I want to see the look on your FACE when your luck finally runs out.

While I'm still on, can you also please explain to me why you were wearing a suit with no tie yesterday ? Dress down day was it ? Tidy yourself up man, you are supposed to be an ambassador for the club for goodness sake. Sort it out McGhee.

Yours in disgust,

Timco.

Last edited:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Easy 10 said:
Dear Mr McGhee,
I am writing with regard to the shocking tactics you employed in yesterdays match at Leicester City, which we won 1-0. This appalling scoreline was as a direct result of your overly cautious approach and cack-handed judgement in setting up the team. Not that you should need reminding, but can I point you towards our goal difference ? In case you hadn't noticed, it currently stands at -4. Despite this, you approached the match at Leicester with a defensive attitude. For crying out loud man, we should have been looking to rack up a 3 or 4 nil win AT LEAST. Instead, the team defends doggedly, nicks a flukey goal, and then hangs on to it as if this was in some was sufficient or acceptable. Well I'm telling you, it's NOT. Two clean sheets in a row is all well and good, but I thought the whole point of football is SCORING GOALS, so do your job and damn well get them to score some more. What on earth do you do all week for christs sake ? I want nothing less than 12 points from the next 2 games, and four goals scored in EACH match by our OWN players, and NOT by defenders either thank you very much.

I also noticed that it nearly rained yesterday. Had it done so, we would clearly have been beaten out of sight. You are a lucky manager McGhee, everyone knows it, and I want to see the look on your FACE when your luck finally runs out.

While I'm still on, can you also please explain to me why you were wearing a suit with no tie yesterday ? Dress down day was it ? Tidy yourself up man, you are supposed to be an ambassador for the club for goodness sake. Sort it out McGhee.

Yours in disgust,

Timco.

As ever Easy, you've it the nail on the head :clap:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:

Yours in disgust,

Timco.

He started with a tie showing off the Scots flag but took it off before the game. I think this may have been because it was rather warm, still, he should be ashamed.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
From now on I want to see our players shooting at goal whenever they have the ball, irrespective of the positions of other players. It seems that shots on target is the most important statistic in football. I always thought it was goals but there you go.

On the subject of Mr McGhees attire, in my opinion he has been getting more and more scruffy with every game. He started off with that dazzling all-white suit number at Reading but over the weekend he looked very common in his shirt (without tie) with the sleeves rolled up. He looked like a right commoner. I want to see him wearing nothing less than a hand-cut, pin-stripe suit WITH blazer badge.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Dear Mr McGhee,

Class as ever Easy. The trouble is there are Brighton fans who really do think that! Timco isn't one of them though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do belive that Timco has a contract to cover for Ernest whilst he's away. You've not done a bad job, for the first attempt, Marvin but disappointing that there was no Magoo out reference or DK milking the victory rant. :clap:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
See some of us have too work you know!

I have never claimed to be a tactical genius I just disagreed with the thread title that the game was won on tactics, play the same game tactics against a better team than Leicester were on the day and they would have murdered us.

If MM Knew that Leicester's strikers were so shite and that they could not hit a barn door at 2 paces then well done to him, I just think it was luck more than judgement. Leicester had 3 clear chances (and were denied a penalty from a Virgo handball, where would the tactics have been then?) all their shots were not long range and Kuipers made a couple of good stops. Our only shot was long range and was well taken, the Leicester strikers should take some lessons from it.

those who saw Wigan game what went wrong? Did MM get the tactics so shockingly wrong? What happened against BR did the tactics for the game include giving away 2 soft goals? and the tactics against Preston, did it include an OG?

As my sig says
"Winning does not mean you got the tactics right it means your opponents got them wrong!"

Tactics can give an edge but the on the day its down to what you are up against and Leicester were that poor I hope all their fans are worried cos if they continue to play like that they are going down.

When I get the time I will look at the whole game again and see if I change my mind but at the moment clearly winblock has muddled some of your eyesight's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here