Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Victory for Tactics?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
timco said:

I'm not miserable, in fact I'm quite happy having put money on us winning the game, but come on get a dose of realism here if those were the best tactics McGhee can come up with then we are doomed.

I suggest you get a dose of realism. We have by far the smallest budget in this division and have to win games any way we can. We have beaten the pre-season favourites for promotion on their own ground and you are suggesting we are doomed??? Unbelievable. What will make you happy? Beating Man UTD in the Champions league? (Or will you moan if a defender scores?)

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
May I suggest you all read the thread title again its a victory for tactics.

Our tactics were shite and had we been playing a team who were not slightly worse than us we would have got thumped.

It was a victory for luck not for the tactics, leicester had enough chances to win the game but were not good enough.

My only problem is with McGhee and his lack of tactical nouse, unless you think boring 0-0's and rely on luck is good tactics, I don't.

I want a decent manager not a lucky one, eventually luck runs out.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I thought our tactics today were superb.

Leicester were full of far better players than us and most had premiership experience. Knowing this we defended well (there shots on goal didn't exactly bother Kuipers) and made the most of the chance we created.

To be honest before the game I'd have settled for a boring 0-0 draw.

What more do you want from McGhee given the squad and money at his disposal? As I said before Leicester were pre-season favourites for promotion. Do you really think we would go there and play them of the park?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Kneon Light said:
I thought our tactics today were superb.

Leicester were full of far better players than us and most had premiership experience. Knowing this we defended well (there shots on goal didn't exactly bother Kuipers) and made the most of the chance we created.

To be honest before the game I'd have settled for a boring 0-0 draw.

What more do you want from McGhee given the squad and money at his disposal? As I said before Leicester were pre-season favourites for promotion. Do you really think we would go there and play them of the park?

:clap: exactly....timco shut it muppet!

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
timco said:

Our tactics were shite and had we been playing a team who were not slightly worse than us we would have got thumped.

And there was me thinking tactics were about looking at how to play, and get a result against, the team you are playing on the day. ???

TWAT. Great tactics. Great result. :clap2: :drink: :drink:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
timco said:
It was a victory for luck not for the tactics, leicester had enough chances to win the game but were not good enough.

Now let's get this clear. Were Leicester unlucky or us lucky?

You have just typed that Leicester were not good enough. That means it wasn't down to luck but the better side won or to put it in your negative way, the least worse side won.

I think tactics played a big part of it and the commentators on Sky did too.
They called our defence brilliant.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
timco said:

My only problem is with McGhee and his lack of tactical nouse, unless you think boring 0-0's and rely on luck is good tactics, I don't.

Let's say you are right, Timco. Maybe this was a fluke. Maybe it will turn out to be our best result of the season. Then shouldn't you be making the most of it? If you are right, then you've just spoiled your best day of the season. I hope you enjoyed it.

Sadly, you do actually seem to enjoy being miserable - this is hardly the first time. :angry:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
mcghee knows what he is doing, he knows our weakness and plays to our strengh. We are not the sort of team to win 3-0 so we play for the 1-0

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
McGhee said shortly after taking over that we are not a free-scoring team. He therefore identified our strengths, good central defensive partnership, runners in midfield, puppy like enthusiasm from the younger players and played to them.

If Leicester had scored then I could not have seen us getting a second, but the same comment could be levelled against us at Swindon and Cardiff.

We are never going to score more than two goals in a game in this division, we do not have the firepower (Leon will sulk for most of the rest of the season) or the creativity. Therefore the aim when playing away is to get men behind the ball, defend like tigers,and hope to sneak one on the break.

If we get a few breaks then fourth bottom may be ours, and we should be proud of the achievement given the resources constraint that the club has to operate under.

Leicester paid £500,000 for Connolly, that is more money than we have paid for transfers for the last ten years.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
If I remember rightly the only effort in the whole match that looked like it would beat a keeper apart from Virgs goal was Curries free kick that had it been touched by Hinsh or a foot to the left we would have won 2-0. yeah leicester were poor but their shots were very poor and did not trouble FDM at all.

Well done Brighton. I will take 1-0 every week. was funny in the walkabout when we were all singing we are going up. :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
timco said:
Yes I did but not through rose tinted glasses.

We were rubbish and they were slightly worse, it was not a good game.

I'm not miserable, in fact I'm quite happy having put money on us winning the game, but come on get a dose of realism here if those were the best tactics McGhee can come up with then we are doomed.

The goal was the only bright spot in the game well taken by a defender, a defender!

Leon Knight is a lazy prat he spent more time offside than on, when he was not lying down, and all because he could not be arsed to stay onside.

Our defence looks very shaky, why? they have been the best part of our team for 5 or 6 years. Our strike force looks a bit toothless who have we got to come in and change that?

McGhee's tactics? go defend and hope for a draw, good tactics, he was lucky. As he was against Swindon and BC last season, but he has always been rated as a lucky manager.

15 shots on goal (not all long range and a couple of good saves from Kuipers) for Leicester and 1 for us and it was on target tells you all you really need to know.

Luckily that 1 shot on goal was the only statistic too count.

Now a question for you had we lost that game would you still be saying the same things? I know I would we have to improve and I don't think (and I said this last year too) we have the manager to do it consistently.

Are you Tom Hark, Preston Park in disguise? :D

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Juan Albion said:
Let's say you are right, Timco. Maybe this was a fluke. Maybe it will turn out to be our best result of the season. Then shouldn't you be making the most of it? If you are right, then you've just spoiled your best day of the season. I hope you enjoyed it.

Sadly, you do actually seem to enjoy being miserable - this is hardly the first time. :angry:

Juan you must explain the logic behind that post sometime but now I understand how you think McGhee is a tactical genius.

I'm not miserable all I said was I did not agree that tactics won it as in the title of this thread. Please stop attributing things to me that are far from the truth.

I saw one of the best goals scored in recent years by a player who has played just about every where bar his right position (not McGhee's fault and well done to him, if it was him, for noticing the potential in Virgo to play upfront.)

I am happy we won, I was f***ing miserable that we lost to Wigwam, not seeing the game I don't know, but did we go out with the same tactical ideas we did today?

If our tactics are to defend a 0-0 everytime we go away and hope to get lucky then we are in trouble. I hope we have more to us than that.

Mark McGhee, November 2003 to August 2004

Ten months of LUCK :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

That's one LUCKY S.O.B. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Napoleon liked his lucky generals, I LOVE our lucky managers :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
See My Assessment thread. I do not think tactics won it. Both manager's got their tactics right. Leicester's players were just not good enough on the day.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
timco said:
Juan you must explain the logic behind that post sometime but now I understand how you think McGhee is a tactical genius.

I'm not miserable

Tim, if I was the only one that thought you were being miserable, then fair enough. But I was the FOURTH! Count 'em. That's 1+1+1+1.

Plus one nice piece of sarcasm from Mr Hut. So 5 out of the 6 people posting immediately after you said or implied you were a being miserable something or other! :clap2:

You pour cold water over our best result of the season so far and reckon you aren't being miserable. Outstanding work, fellah! :lolol:

Anyway, try taking my previous argument one step at a time and you'll work it out eventually. Anyway, I thought 'Marvin' suited you better. "Life, don't talk to me about life..." Or even "3 points, don't talk to me about 3 points..." :(

:shootself

Last edited:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Juan Albion said:
Tim, if I was the only one that thought you were being miserable, then fair enough. But I was the FOURTH! Count 'em. That's 1+1+1+1.

Plus one nice piece of sarcasm from Mr Hut. So 5 out of the 6 people posting immediately after you said or implied you were a being miserable something or other!

Anyone who posts something that states we won but we were lucky is going to be classed miserable just because they dared to do that.

I can live with that, but it does not make them right nor does it invalidate my argument.

Such bland responses is usually a sign that they do not have the intellectual capacity to understand the argument, or the mental dexterity to form a counter argument, in your case you don't have that luxury.

My argument stands that it was not tactics that won it but that we played a team slightly worse than us and came out slightly on top.

Now you seem to take great delight in taking an opposite view to me regardless of the subject.

So tell me my little bearded Welshman what have I done too upset you so much?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Happiness, Happiness something that eludes Marvin :lolol:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Beach Hut said:
Happiness, Happiness something that eludes Marvin :lolol:

OK for those who don't read too well I'll shout it

I AM f***ing HAPPY! WE WON, I WON, I AM f***ing ECSTATIC

Ok

But it was not down to the tactics if we played like that against a team that had something about them we would have got thumped.

Leicester should have at least put 3 or 4 away but Dublin was having problems hitting a cows arese with his banjo today and Connolly could not even see the barn door let alone hit it from 2 foot!

Oh and I'm off to bed now got to be up at 4

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You are so funny when you are angry :lolol: :lolol:

Can you now vent your anger on the Dwayne banning ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here