Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread of old-fashioned office procedures no longer used

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When I started work at the Alliance and Leicester,Hove Park in 1987 they still used internal memos called 'Ping Pongs'. Long before the days of email of course

Ah, Ping-Pongs, I'd forgotten them.

I was at the Alliance about 10 years earlier than you and in the days before computers we worked out interest payments manually, using massive books (they showed the daily calculation for every possible interest rate). I still remember updating a passbook that hadn't been touched since 1947 - it took me the best part of the day to work out the interest on the capital.

When the company got computerised, we had to have all passbooks up-to-date - there was normally a two week backlog. I remember that we got triple time working on Sunday and double time on Saturday. One week I took home about £110, which was a massive amount in 1978.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You mean like the disk packs on Burroughs mini computers, that suddenly went "weeeeeeeeee" and lost all your data?

Maybe but I meant the multiplatter devices that you dare not drop.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That crap about me saying something about Hitler, with a small mind like yours I can understand how you forgot. Still seeing as you took a 'difficult' degree I suppose memory isn't important to you.

Has anyone ever had a run in with Irish gypsy travellers?

Here it is. Your Hitler comment is post 51.

I roll with most stuff on here but I value honesty and integrity highly and no one has a reason to question me on this. You incorrectly called me a liar so I hope you have the grace and balls to apologize, just as I have done when I have over stepped the line on here.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Has anyone ever had a run in with Irish gypsy travellers?

Here it is. Your Hitler comment is post 51.

I roll with most stuff on here but I value honesty and integrity highly and no one has a reason to question me on this. You incorrectly called me a liar so I hope you have the grace and balls to apologize, just as I have done when I have over stepped the line on here.

Not at all, you're a liar because that comment was taken totally out of context, so typical of your type, what a sad little man you are. I would bet that your clients think you're as big a wanker as I do. I suggest you get back to your fantasy life and leave reality to the rest of us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whilst you could never condone Hitler's ideas you have to say he might have had a point when it comes to Gipsies. .

Here's your comment for all to see, and clicking on the thread provides all the context.

You've been rumbled, and the best you can do is resort to name calling.

It's a sad little man who does not acknowledge their mistakes and have the balls to apologise.

Feel free to carry on, but there is only going to be one person who looks stupid from here on it. You know you're in a hole, so my advice is to stop digging.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not at all, you're a liar because that comment was taken totally out of context, so typical of your type, what a sad little man you are. I would bet that your clients think you're as big a wanker as I do. I suggest you get back to your fantasy life and leave reality to the rest of us.

Interesting signature you have as well

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010

Out of interest, if these comments were out of context what was it you were trying to say?

Last edited:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
As a very young engineering apprentice in the mid 70s, i seem to remember the middle aged women on the production having a few lively procedures. They never trained us for that at School road

School road, that takes me back, spent a year there filing, bending, drilling, milling bits of metal for year, it was great fun, full year on site trainng paid for by Allenwest, only thing was i was an electrical engineering apprentice !:lolol: still enjoyed that year though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Pa-ra-pa-pum-pum...

david-bowie-and-bing-crosby.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here