Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread of old-fashioned office procedures no longer used

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I worked at Amex and the Computer Room was kept at a special temperature and only certain personnel were allowed in there. The computer was HUGE and took up the same space as a 5-a-side football pitch.

There were punch cards and punch tape, similar to telex tape with holes in it. The tape was less sophisticated than the cards which replaced them. The cards were rectangular and data holes were punched in them. The verifier would re-punch the data, and the card would lock if the newly-punched data didn't match. Amex replaced punch card machines with machines which put the info onto magnetic tape. These tapes were then taken to the aforementioned computer room. This was a good decade or more before floppy disks.

I worked foe Amex in Westchester House in their computer room on the 4th floor. I remember the IBM 550 interpreter which converted tapes to punch card. Come the 1st January I will start my 39th year in IT.

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
Multi part proformas - white for the customer, pink for accounts, yellow for sales and blue for the files! Happy days!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Were they still around in 1992? I got them when I first went to work for Amex in 1970!

Yes, I used to get a bundle of them every month. I worked on Kingsway just off Holborn at the time and there was only one place called Benjies which used to accept them. This might be a dumb question but what was their purpose? Why not just give cash?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I worked foe Amex in Westchester House in their computer room on the 4th floor. I remember the IBM 550 interpreter which converted tapes to punch card. Come the 1st January I will start my 39th year in IT.

..and you learnt everything on the job yawn yawn yawn

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, I used to get a bundle of them every month. I worked on Kingsway just off Holborn at the time and there was only one place called Benjies which used to accept them. This might be a dumb question but what was their purpose? Why not just give cash?

I think that, originally, there were some tax advantages to LVs but eventually these started disappearing. I'm sure an accountant can correct me on this if I got it wrong.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
..and you learnt everything on the job yawn yawn yawn

Well I didn't end up telling lies about other people to make myself look less of an idiot. However,as you enjoy being wrong who paid for my MCSE, my CNE and my ITIL qualifications ? Not you that's for certain.

I think that, originally, there were some tax advantages to LVs but eventually these started disappearing. I'm sure an accountant can correct me on this if I got it wrong.

I used to get LV's when I changed jobs in 1997, these lasted until the early noughties when they were replaced by money that came with our salary, slightly more to account for the tax. I believe that Lv's were a taxable benefit also but for some convoluted reason there were benefits to the company by paying the money direct.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Not having fire drills.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I used to get LV's when I changed jobs in 1997, these lasted until the early noughties when they were replaced by money that came with our salary, slightly more to account for the tax. I believe that Lv's were a taxable benefit also but for some convoluted reason there were benefits to the company by paying the money direct.

Looked it up on Wikipedia, which I know is not always reliable, but it said that when LVs started, 3s (15p) was tax-free, but this didn't actually change with inflation. I'd imagine that getting 15p tax-free is not much a benefit these days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well I didn't end up telling lies about other people to make myself look less of an idiot. However,as you enjoy being wrong who paid for my MCSE, my CNE and my ITIL qualifications ? Not you that's for certain.

Hold on, can you explain yourself. Who have I lied about? I'm lost.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Talking of floppies, the media that replaced the punch card, the 8" floppy disk, not many will remember them. When PCs arrived the floppies 5 and and quarter and then three and a half inched. Of course there was also the Zip disk but not many will remember them.

I remember compiling Cobol programs on a Cromemco "micro" with twin 8" floppy drives. No other drives. Verbatim floppies used to become see-though if you used them too much.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Having a receipt book

many builders/carpenters/plumbers etc etc still use them

1. Writing or typing a letter

I still type letters, on a computer keyboard

filing

rectangular thick wooden desks

Still file letters to clients and have a thick wooden desk

those green string things with metal bits on the ends........

treasury tags, that's them.

use treasury tags most days (although they do have plastic ends now that dont go rusty)

almost daily

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not exactly an office procedure but... getting somebody a Strip-O-Gram, usually a policewoman, for their birthday/promotion/leaving do.

Oh, and Health & Safety. We never had that in my day. Nobody died.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Stationary monitors who you used to have to ask if you wanted something out of the ordinary, like a bigger envelope. The conversation would go something like this:
'Could I have a brown envelope big enough to post this in please?'
'Ah you mean an EV(L)209'
'Well if you say so, I just call it a brown envelope big enough to post this in'
'What do you want it for?'
'I want to post this out in it'
''That would probably fit in an EV(L) 207, as we are getting short on EV(L)209s'
'Please can I just have an envelope'
'Sign in the 3 places marked with a cross'

Although this was in the civil service at an office overpopulated with dunderheads, so this may be just a personal experience.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not exactly an office procedure but... getting somebody a Strip-O-Gram, usually a policewoman, for their birthday/promotion/leaving do.

Oh, and Health & Safety. We never had that in my day. Nobody died.

Someone I know who works in recruitment had a strip-o-gram for a leaving do. The company set up a spoof interview and the stripper played the part of a job applicant......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here