Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread dedicated to the person who first introduced you to the Albion

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
On the 23/04/71 , my Dad decided it was time for me to visit the Goldstone and take in my first Albion match. I was 10 years old ,
It was against Halifax Town, it was in the third division . It was a 4000 crowd and we lost 1.0.

Regardless of the result , I was hooked. I will always remember first stepping over the top of the terrace and see the pitch for the first time . I had never seen anything so green . I know grass is green , but this was super green.

He took me to every home game up until 1976/77,when I think he felt his job was done and I started going with my mates .
If it was not for him , I could have been a Leeds fan or an Arsenal fan or any other team doing well at the time .Because of him , I am a Brighton fan as are my children.

My Dad sadly passed away on Sunday, in my life he did many great things for me , but ensuring I am an Albion fan has to be at the top.

This thread is dedicated to him and all others like him who first introduced us to the Albion.

RIP Dad x

Sorry for your loss PFJ, I'm sure he was as proud as the first time you were at footy together :) Loved my mum to bits until she passed away 3 years ago, but have my old man to thank for installing the Albion in my blood. Cheers to all Dads :)

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
ok, im going to say .. it wasnt my dad, it was my big sister and then boyfriend ( now hubby) who took me to my first game.. remember it as it was the culmination of my albion cup run excitement. 1983 got me hooked, and the xmas present that year was my first match, a scarf and a teddy ( i named fozzie). new year match v blackburn rovers, jan 1984 - best day ever!
thanks sis... as you will probably read this! x

BHABen

Jan 12, 2010
Sorry to hear about your dad fella.
Mine was also by my dad, he took me and my bro to the 3rd round of the FA Cup 1983, 1-1 at home to Newcastle, been going with my bro ever since. Try to get my dad out the Amex if we can but the cold gets to him these days. I have since introduced my son who is now a season ticket holder. My dads first game was with his dad, so it's gone through 4 generations.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Great thread..........

It as my Dad who took me to my first game in 1980 against Coventry City and result was 0-0. We stood in the roofless North Stand and it rained the whole game and we got soaked, my Dad thought I'd never go again but I was hooked. Sadly he died nearly 3 years ago. I still miss going to the football with him and sad he never saw the Amex. They started building the Amex just before he died so he saw the foundations laid, we passed by there on his funeral. He missed about 10 home games at the Goldstone and Withdean in 60 years, I still feel bitter to Norman Baker and Falmer residents for fighting against the stadium being built, if it had gone ahead when the John Prescot decision was made he would have seen it. I now take my Daughter to every game and hope she will follow our family tradition of forever following the Albion. Good to see the memorial garden is there and should be be putting my Dads ashes there in the near future. I know he would be very happy to see the Albion where we are now.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
My Uncle Bob and cousin Kev were regulars and occasionally my family would visit them and my treat would be to go to the Goldstone, I guess I was 10ish, maybe a little younger or maybe a little older. My Uncle Bob died some 33 years ago and Kev is a 1901 member.

Condolences to the OP but you seem to have great memories of your Dad.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My Grandad in April 1987. I was 11.
Brighton v Palace... We won 2-0 (Wilson & Hughes) and it was Barry Lloyd's first win at the 14th attempt!
I was hooked good and proper, and thankfully my Grandad is still with us to talk 'Albion' well into his 90th year

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
My Grandad in April 1987. I was 11.
Brighton v Palace... We won 2-0 (Wilson & Hughes) and it was Barry Lloyd's first win at the 14th attempt!
I was hooked good and proper, and thankfully my Grandad is still with us to talk 'Albion' well into his 90th year

Quality JTM, has Grandad made it to the Amex?

Coggersc1974

Jun 25, 2009
Really is sad to read posts about dads who are no longer with us and those who never got to see a game at the Amex. I will be forever grateful to my dad for taking me to my first game at the Goldstone in October 1982, a 3-1 win against West Ham. Also to both cup final and replay in 83. I am also really thankful that despite his health problems I am still able to sit next to my dad at the Amex watching the Albion. Thanks Dad.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Like almost everyone else, My Dad was the driving force behind it. First game, age 6, vs Bristol City/Rovers. Sat in the South Stand and observed a tedious 0-0 draw. I've no idea if I enjoyed it or not. Spent the next few years on the East Terrace, stood on an upturned toy box.
These great stories and all the emotions behind them have hit home. These times: signing players for millions, playing in one of the best stadiums in the country and looking at the Prem as an achievable goal..these times are for you, dads. Thank you.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Dad for me too

Around '77 at the goldstone vs Cambridge
Ward scored
Was hooked ever since
He passed a while ago but forever miss him
Take my son and daughter (10&7) now
he like me would be proud they are albion fans totally.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Who introduced me to the Albion...? Me,.....Dad hated football and after the warI begged him to take me to a game...he never did and as I was only7 and had no pocket money I was denied the game till I was 19.....Brighton v Sunderland 2-0.....I made sure I took my son in turn he takes his grandchildren (my great grandchildren)......Albion live on....

Mr Albion

Nov 7, 2003
brighton
My Dad it's his fault

My Dad. I can't recall the opponents but we won 1-0. 73/4, the thing I remember most was the smell of evergreen and the turf and my Dad pointing over to the dugout and saying "That's a man called Brian Clough, he's a very famous manager". I believe young Nigel was sat next to him. I still sit with him now for most games. Born and bred and his Dad (my Grandad) took him in '52. When watching The Albion is blissful I ironically always say "its your fault". Bless 'im. The greatest gift ever.
Thanks Dad. Brighton Til I Die.

Last edited:

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Sorry about your loss. A great and fond memory to keep forever.

My first was Jan 1976, taken by an older brother.

I saw Brighton 6 - 0 Colchester. Mid table Brigtton were watched by 16,000 in the third tier. A sign of the massive underlying support for the only professional club for miles.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Nobody did,the clouds parted and a blinding light shone down on me,a voice from above then commanded that I should tread the long and winding road that leads to the glory of the mighty Brighton and Hove Albion.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
My Dad, I was around 5 or 6 approx 1976/77 amazing memories watching Peter Ward do his magic, (I even had the perm) which have lived with me forever. Sadly he passed away when I was 11 and I couldn't go back to watch without him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here