Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread dedicated to the person who first introduced you to the Albion

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
On the 23/04/71 , my Dad decided it was time for me to visit the Goldstone and take in my first Albion match. I was 10 years old ,
It was against Halifax Town, it was in the third division . It was a 4000 crowd and we lost 1.0.

Regardless of the result , I was hooked. I will always remember first stepping over the top of the terrace and see the pitch for the first time . I had never seen anything so green . I know grass is green , but this was super green.

He took me to every home game up until 1976/77,when I think he felt his job was done and I started going with my mates .
If it was not for him , I could have been a Leeds fan or an Arsenal fan or any other team doing well at the time .Because of him , I am a Brighton fan as are my children.

My Dad sadly passed away on Sunday, in my life he did many great things for me , but ensuring I am an Albion fan has to be at the top.

This thread is dedicated to him and all others like him who first introduced us to the Albion.

RIP Dad x

Lovely story, sorry for the loss of your dad.

My dad also took me to my first game, it was Boxing day 1987 0-0 vs Southend Utd.

We still go together to this day along with my 9 year old son , so that's 3 generations of Albion fans going now thanks to my dad.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
One of the first games I remember my Dad taking me to was against Shrewsbury in August 1955. The last he saw was a 2-1 win against Fulham in September 1972. He'd left his seat in the West Stand and I'd been on the East Terrace. We had a quick, happy chat and went our separate ways. He died the next day, aged 50. I often wonder what he'd have made of the Cup Final, Withdean and now the Amex. RIP Dad and all the other Albion supporters who never lived to see it.

Last edited:

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
My father took me to the Albion for the second home game of the 1964/65 season. Bobby Smith, Johnnie Goodchild are the players I remeber from that game.
Not sure who who the opposition was.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My dad hates football, but took me to my first game in 1979 and sowed the seed. Walking across Hove Park, up the East Terrace steps and seeing the pitch as you came over the top for the first time and the crowd etc. Magic.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Sincere commiserations on your sad loss PFJ, I'm sure many posters reading this will feel your pain.

It was also my Dad who stood me on the old "chicken run" back in 1953 as a 6 year old. I can't remember who we played or the score. The first game I can remember was in 1954 against Tonbridge who, I believe, we beat 5-0. The die was cast. I helped to pay back to my Dad some of what I owed him by getting a sem-final ticket at Highbury, I was a season ticket holder and lottery agent, and then getting him a ticket for the final. I managed to do this by buying him a season ticket for the following season which qualified for the '83 final. I gave him the ticket on Fathers Day. He couldn't believe it and said that he "never expected to see the Albion at Wembley" in his lifetime.

After a wonderful life, creating the love for the Albion to me and my two brothers, he passed away five years after Wembley. However, I'm glad to say that my son and two daughters are avid Albion fans.

Keep the memories PFJ and pass on the love for BHA.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My Dad. I LOVE you.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Like loads of people on here, it was my Dad who first took me to the Goldstone when I was 10 years old. He passed away many years ago but I think he'd be very proud now of me, Supaseagull and both my Grandsons who go to every home game, plus a few away as well.
That's 4 generations of Albion fans that started off with him.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Like PFJ and many others, my dad introduced me to the Albion even though he was a Pompey fan followed by Shrewsbury and then Albion (don't ask!). Thankfully we lived in Seaford which is obviously on Brighton's doorstep otherwise had we lived in West Sussex I'd have been Pompey. My first game was spent in the chicken run and was against Aldershot on boxing day 1973. We lost 1-0. It was not the most auspicious start but due to my dad's love of football and growing affection for the Albion, a lifelong habit was formed.

R.I.P. PFJ's dad. I'm really sorry to hear of your loss.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
My Dad. Took me to the Goldstone for the first time in 1971/2, v Shrewsbury, when we bought a house in Old Shoreham Rd..I was 12. He died very suddenly, and way too young, in 1985. I can't believe that I only watched Albion with him for 14 years but have watched them for 28 years since... those 14 years seemed so much longer. I always think about him at special moments, like Doncaster last season, and always will. The club for me is a direct link to the time we shared and it's one reason why I hung in there supporting us in the gory years, Adams second spell put that to the test though.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Thank you everyone for your kind words.It has been very moving for me to read some of your experiences.

Just to add , I was very proud to include his photo on the Albion Mosaic in Dicks Bar ,so he will still always be with me in spirit, especially when watching the Albion.

bubbaseagull

Nov 28, 2012
Hove
sorry to hear of your loss mate. My dad introduced me when I was about 8 (6 years ago) and I have never gone back, Albion will always be my only team thanks to my dad and Its mainly dads which introduce you to teams (regardless of the sport) and for that I will always respect him. rip PFJ's dad :angel:

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
My dad also took me to my first game a 1-0 victory at the Goldstone against Port Vale, courtesy of a Peter Ward goal.

Was hooked from that moment. Sadly, the old man passed away in September. RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here