Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thought on Jake Robinson

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
I think that i'm bored of hearing about Jake Robinsons potential, we need him to show this potential in more than 10 minute flurrys, be it an issue with stamina, fitness, confidence whatever. we don't need excuses or potential we need points.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
gazwag said:
Is anybody else pissed off with the excuse "he's only young" as if he's 14.

He is 19, Micheal Owen was 19 when he scored "that" goal against the Argies in the world cup, yet many people seem to think he will grow up to be another Michael Owen. He is currently the same weight and just an inch shorter.

"only young" is starting to wear a bit thin now

If he was michael owens standard at 19 then he wouldn't be playing for Brighton. He has got a long way to go. Strikers peak much later. He might never make the grade for championship football, but we have to work with what we have at the moment.

I personally think he will improve and be an asset for Brighton in the future.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
If he was michael owens standard at 19 then he wouldn't be playing for Brighton. He has got a long way to go. Strikers peak much later. He might never make the grade for championship football, but we have to work with what we have at the moment.

I personally think he will improve and be an asset for Brighton in the future.

I think you have strikers confused with goalkeepers there.

Strikers have a habit of scoring from day one in the team, Zamora?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I always thought League 1 was higher than the conference.

As for Robinson at those games he was still the worst brighton player at the palace game and to say his goal at plymouth was lucky to go in would not be to wide of the mark as he almost fluffed it.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
KinkyGoebels said:

As for Robinson at those games he was still the worst brighton player at the palace game and to say his goal at plymouth was lucky to go in would not be to wide of the mark as he almost fluffed it.

And for the game at Selhurst he was fantastic.....

Jim D said:

However, at the moment it seems that the greatest problem is in Jake's head. He seems startled and just never looks like scoring when he gets into position.

I'd agree with that. If he can get right mentally I think he can be a success at this level, but at the moment he seems scared of the goalmouth. A bit more discipline is needed with his positioning as well but I would hope that this comes with time.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Uncle Buck said:
I think you have strikers confused with goalkeepers there.

Strikers have a habit of scoring from day one in the team, Zamora?

Zamora was physically ready. He was tall and lets face it, far more talented. He was bought as a goalscorer, where as Jakey is a different prospect entirely.
I meant 4 or 5 yrs time when they reach their peak.

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
BarrelofFun said:
Zamora was physically ready. He was tall and lets face it, far more talented. He was bought as a goalscorer, where as Jakey is a different prospect entirely.

But we dont have 4 or 5 years, i don't want Robinson to start banging in the goals on tuesday night away at Mansfield, we want to stay in the championship, to do this we need the right sort of service to the strikers we have. A little more composure in front of goal and we'd be mid table. But, we're not, we're down the bottom in need of a win now, not 4 or 5 years time.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BarrelofFun said:

If you are a natrual goal scorer, then generally scoring from day 1, however some players have to work on elements of their game and suddenly it clicks, I guess Hayter at Bournemouth is a good example of that.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
KinkyGoebels said:

If you think Robinson was our worst player at Selhurst we'll have to just agree to disagree...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Redhead said:
But we dont have 4 or 5 years, i don't want Robinson to start banging in the goals on tuesday night away at Mansfield, we want to stay in the championship, to do this we need the right sort of service to the strikers we have. A little more composure in front of goal and we'd be mid table. But, we're not, we're down the bottom in need of a win now, not 4 or 5 years time.

What is your solution then? Sell him? To speed up his progress , he needs to be starting games and frankly I dont think we have the right back up to loan him off....

We have to make the most of what we have. I agree that we need to start scoring that goes without saying. If he can finish the season with 10 goals then I would be pleased with that.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Most of the criticism on this thread could be levelled at all four of the strikers who turned out for us on Saturday.

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
BarrelofFun said:
What is your solution then? Sell him? To speed up his progress , he needs to be starting games and frankly I dont think we have the right back up to loan him off....

We have to make the most of what we have. I agree that we need to start scoring that goes without saying. If he can finish the season with 10 goals then I would be pleased with that.

Mcghee needs to settle on a front two, for me knight and CKR, and then the third striker, be it Robinson or CKR, but importantly one of those two, should go on loan to a lower LEAGUE club. Go and bang some goals in get some confidence even if its one month. I think 90 mins for a Rotherham or Swindon is better than half games for us because the constant subbing, not starting, starting but coming off after an hour regardless of his performance, is not helping his confidence.

Spot on Jimmy Saville, but the title is Jake Robinson.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Redhead said:
Mcghee needs to settle on a front two, for me knight and CKR, and then the third striker, be it Robinson or CKR, but importantly one of those two, should go on loan to a lower LEAGUE club. Go and bang some goals in get some confidence even if its one month. I think 90 mins for a Rotherham or Swindon is better than half games for us because the constant subbing, not starting, starting but coming off after an hour regardless of his performance, is not helping his confidence.

Hopefully he can do that when McCammon comes back from injury. Confidence does seem to be low when it comes to shooting, noone seems to want to be responsible for missing a shot.

Last season we took 343 shots and got just over 50% on target, hitting the woodwork 6 times.

This season 196 shots and again just over 50% on target, hitting the woodwork 6 times.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
BarrelofFun said:
Hopefully he can do that when McCammon comes back from injury. Confidence does seem to be low when it comes to shooting, noone seems to want to be responsible for missing a shot.

Last season we took 343 shots and got just over 50% on target, hitting the woodwork 6 times.

This season 196 shots and again just over 50% on target, hitting the woodwork 6 times.

To be fair half the shots last year where Virgo form about 45 yards:lolol:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Robinson's hopefully going to be one for the future so worth perserving with. He's not yet ready and nor should he be expected, to lead the line and score 15 goals. But he is a talent and should be on the bench to come on and run at weary defenders in the last 15 minutes or so. My big worry is that he's just a bit small.

The thing I find frustrating ( apart from them not scoting many goals) with both Robinson and CKR is they both frequently get caught offside. Time after time this season they've been offside. It's not a difficult concept and I can't believe how often they're offside. Surely this is something the club need to look at in training.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sneaky George said:
Robinson's hopefully going to be one for the future so worth perserving with. He's not yet ready and nor should he be expected, to lead the line and score 15 goals. But he is a talent and should be on the bench to come on and run at weary defenders in the last 15 minutes or so. My big worry is that he's just a bit small.

The thing I find frustrating ( apart from them not scoting many goals) with both Robinson and CKR is they both frequently get caught offside. Time after time this season they've been offside. It's not a difficult concept and I can't believe how often they're offside. Surely this is something the club need to look at in training.

Something to do with late deliveries from the midfield? They are not the only ones to blame

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here