Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A team with no town

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Dagenham and Redbridge used to be two separate teams. As did Rushden and Diamonds.

We are the only team that didn't merge to be named after two places.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
jonny.rainbow said:
Dagenham and Redbridge used to be two separate teams. As did Rushden and Diamonds.

We are the only team that didn't merge to be named after two places.

Yes, and therefore we are the only English League club to ever be named after 2 diferent places. Dagenham and Redbrige have never been a league club, and There is no such place as Diamonds.:)

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Race said:
queens park rangers?
Don't be a div. What do you know about football, Tank?:lolol:

Oct 25, 2003
Statto said:
Yes, and therefore we are the only English League club to ever be named after 2 diferent places. Dagenham and Redbrige have never been a league club, and There is no such place as Diamonds.:)

MK DONS

milton keynes

wimbledon

!

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
turienzo's lovechild said:
MK DONS

milton keynes

wimbledon

!

Yes, but the place is called WIMBLEDON not DON.

If they were called MK Wimbledon It would be a different story and you would be right. I Understand the Don suffix was put in as a nickname rather than reference to Wimbledon. It's one and a half place names.:D :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Statto said:
(the smallest town in England to ever have a league club, I think:D)

Correct. Nelson used to be the smallest town in England to ever have a league club with a population of 29,000 but Irlingborough is much smaller.

Irthlingborough is a small town on the River Nene in Northamptonshire, England with a population of around 6,000 people. It is the smallest town in England to have possessed a league association football team, Rushden & Diamonds F.C..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought Arsenal were named after The Woolwich Arsenal which was definately a place, a gun foundry infact.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Statto said:

Not quite right though!

AFC Bournemouth used to be known as Bournemouth & Boscombe. therefore we are NOT the only English League club to ever be named after 2 diferent places

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Rushden and Diamonds was an amalgation of Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds. "Rushden and Irthlingborough" would be too much of a tongue twister!

Dandyman

In London village.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Tubthumper said:
I thought Arsenal were named after The Woolwich Arsenal which was definately a place, a gun foundry infact.

Which is now an industrial estate. (Definitely)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The year after Liverpool won the Champions League (2 years ago?) - they had to play the first qualifying game against Total Network Solutions who had won the Welsh Premier League.

I think TNS have now amalgamated with Oswestry again and still play at their old ground in Llansantffraid and are now called The New Saints.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Vicar! said:
Going back to the original question Forest Green Rovers!

Small Village in Gloucestershire. Near Nailsworth. I know someon who went to watch his team there (Woking). There ground is called the lawn. (or it used to be)

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Metropolitan Police

Ford United

Both named after the businesses their playing staff work for. Sort of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here