Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A team with no town

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Are Grimsby the only club to have their permanent ground in another town ?

Another (easy) question

Which clubs players cross into a different country as they run onto the pitch ?

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
It's Chester. The ground is actually in Wales but the main stand is in England. For adminstrative purposes this means the address of the Deva Stadium is in England

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
What about Queen of the South?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Arsenal were indeed originally Woolwich Arsenal. The team moved north of the river and the arsenal stayed. Everton is in fact a suburb of Liverpool and QPR are the only team besides Port Vale to not be named after a place.

The ex league Rushden and Diamonds came about when two lower league teams were merged and let's not forget that relegation candidates Leyton Orient were just 'Orient' for a while.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
clapham_gull said:
Are Grimsby the only club to have their permanent ground in another town ?

Another (easy) question

Which clubs players cross into a different country as they run onto the pitch ?

Chelsea don't play in Chelsea.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Hearts

'Heart Of Midlothian' (their full name) is not a town, although Mid-Lothian is obviously a place (a county, I think).

Also, is Hibernian actually a place? They play in Edinburgh, so maybe it's a suburb???

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Hearts were named after a dance hall, apparently, it was called the Heart of Midlothian...think it was where the club was formed. If anyone goes to Edinburgh make sure to visit the Heart of Midlothian stone on the High Street (Royal Mile), it is supposed to bring you luck if you spit on it...I did when I moved there and Hearts won the Scottish Cup about 6 months later.

The only other team I can think of, albeit in Scotland, that is not named after a place is Raith Rovers who play in Kirkcaldy.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Frutos, I think Hibernia was the Latin name for Ireland, with which the Hibees have a connection...hence they play in green and white.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
We must be the only team named after two different places, with the home fans watching from one and the away fans from the other.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Gully said:
We must be the only team named after two different places, with the home fans watching from one and the away fans from the other.

Right on both counts.

Edit: To answer an eirlier question, Rushden and Diamonds are another one who dont play in that town. Their ground is in the tiny nearby town of Irthlingbrough. (the smallest town in England to ever have a league club, I think:D). Suppose,as they are in the conference now, it dosent count.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here