Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Summer Of Missed Opportunities?

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
The Complete Badger said:
I know one or two signings have been made by a few clubs, but that's usual, and we haven't missed out on anyone that we have been known to be after. It's only June 7th today, I wouldn't mind betting 75% of footballers/managers/directors are on holiday at this time - and rightly so, this is the middle of a one month period in the whole year where NOTHING happens. Contracts expire on 30th June (about the same time as pre-season training starts), and I would expect the vast majority of out-of-contract players to leave it until the last week or two before that to decide where they are going to sign. So, if people like Whing are going to sign for us, I really wouldn't expect him to do it for at least another 10 days to two weeks anyway.
exactly. Players will wait to see what they can get. They know that if nothing better comes along they have us as a safety net. Until we have Falmer, that's the way it is for us

The Complete Badger said:
I know one or two signings have been made by a few clubs, but that's usual, and we haven't missed out on anyone that we have been known to be after. It's only June 7th today, I wouldn't mind betting 75% of footballers/managers/directors are on holiday at this time - and rightly so, this is the middle of a one month period in the whole year where NOTHING happens. Contracts expire on 30th June (about the same time as pre-season training starts), and I would expect the vast majority of out-of-contract players to leave it until the last week or two before that to decide where they are going to sign. So, if people like Whing are going to sign for us, I really wouldn't expect him to do it for at least another 10 days to two weeks anyway.

Thanks for repeating what I said earlier!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:
I am not so much moaning about the lack of signings, more about the missed chance for real changes to the squad which proved it was not good enough last season.

Getting rid of the deadwood and bringing in some new players was what was needed and it has not happened.

We may well sign a couple of half decent players but we still have a lot of rubbish in our squad and we missed the chance to get rid of it.

That is spot on...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We will do well to stay up with Wilkins in charge, I expect 20th at best.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I am chuffed about Whing joining... well done to Wendy and Dick... :clap: :clap2: :clap2: :clap:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Re: Re: A Summer Of Missed Opportunities?

The Large One said:
Good to see your fingers are still on the pulse, Richie.

But he is right to a degree, Whing is looking for a higher level than we are at.

I think its far to early to say is been a summer of MISSED oppertunities, some clubs dont even know what their final accounts for the previous season are till July, I suspect we are in that boat, without that, its difficult to convince your accountant to splash the cash.

The way the market is, EVERYONE is struggling unless you have some dimwit just ploughing money in, and we all know that that generally ends in tears, there are going to be some bargains before the Start of the season, from what I hear of some of the offers made to players at oither clubs, there is going to be a hell of a lot of moving around.

We forget we are not in the worst financial state in our division, in fact far from it, regardless of stadium, as I have said many many times, these guys are ONLY concerned with salaries nothing else.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
whing is the first and there will be plenty (2 or 3) more, give them a bit of time. Players are on hoilday at the moment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here