Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A remarkable day for the Conservatives..

Fixtures

Aug 12, 2007
FreedomoftheSeasatGrandCaym

this summer you will find me here

Is that your shag in the bottom right corner then, dave?

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
And indeed the country with the Tories poling 44% of the vote with sorry Labour coming in with 24% behind excuse me the lib Dems at 25%. The worst set of numbers for the Government in over 40 year's, indeed worse than those in 95 when as we all know John Major was booted out bt the Grinning Jackanapes himself, I feel the wind of change heading to these shores very soon! Rt hon David Cameron MP Prime Minister anyone :clap:

I presume given your pleasure that you went to Eton and have a country pile, in which case, you and your class have every reason to celebrate.

Or are you a cap-doffing little oik who thinks that political power, social justice etc is 'not for the likes of us?'

I wonder!

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I presume given your pleasure that you went to Eton and have a country pile, in which case, you and your class have every reason to celebrate.

Or are you a cap-doffing little oik who thinks that political power, social justice etc is 'not for the likes of us?'

I wonder!

Labour, Conservative whats the difference. Same old bollocks from both of them

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Brown was infact one of the worst if not the worst chancellor this country has ever had and its only the spin that people have brought. He pillaged
£ 100 000 000 000 from your pension funds, he meant Stamp duty is 4 x what it would be for most people in this part of the country, the supposed propsperity was based on credit, it was based on virtualy equity in properties, it was based on a buy now pay later approach , he laso held office during the greatest global econmoic conditions ever known and inherited a very healthy economic position from the tories.

This Labour government has been the worst, most corrupt, wasteful government
this country has ever had the misfortune to elect , 3 times !. The true extent of their appaling running of the country will only be realised in decades to come.

As much as I have little time for New Labour, that is an incredibly biased assessment. £100 billion from pension funds sounds a tad extreme, where on earth do you get your maths from?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It seems that my fellow Albion supporters have some very strange ideas about the reality of the global economy in the twenty-first century. It matters little what the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer does one way or another for the economy as a whole, although specific decisions will undoubtedly benefit one group or another, or disadvantage one group or another.

Some of the points here are valid to an extent; eg, the meddling with pension funds was inadvisable, but put in the wider context, not particularly important. The problem with pension funding has been a failure of governments (and insurers come to that) to have an honest, open and informed debate about the implications of an aging population. Longevity has been increasing beyond everybody's expectations over the past decade or so. We have a population, the majority of whom expect a higher and higher living standard throughout their lives.Ipso facto, we will stumble from one pension crisis to another. Ditto, healthcare provision; aging population, higher expectations. How is it to be funded.

Economies increasingly float on a sea of debt. Debt is good; without debt there would be no economic growth. (Where would entrepreneurs get the money to start businesses if they didn't borrow in one form or another).

The world economy has changed. We have at least three major new players on the scene now - China, India, Brazil - whose economies can pick up an amount of any slack, if the US or W Europe goes into recession. The chances of all major economies being at exactly the same stage of the economic cycle at more or less the same time is relatively small.

My own view (as a lifelong Labour supporter and sometime party member) is that this Government has been disappointing. Not a disaster, but not a success, either. What reforms it has introduced it has done half-heartedly (eg constitutional reform). However, the alternative, if it is a Tory one, seems to me possibly the most scary prospect in my adult lifetime. Not because any Tory government will be more right wing than that of Margaret Thatcher's administration, but because they are a bunch of Old Etonian toffs. Now, Old Etonian Toffs have run the country before (as recently as 1963), but at least in those days they were both trained to run the country and expected to. I think Cameron and co will have such self-doubt about themselves and lack the experience of ordinary people that they will be a disaster. As for the the potential new Mayor of London - heaven help us. Unless he has minders with him 24/7 he will alienate so many people - in the UK and abroad, that the viability of London will be severely undermined.

Still,only the local elections; and how much power do local authorities have these days. Diddly-squit to be frank. That's why protest votes are so strong. Let's see what happens in 2009/2010 when people have to actually vote for a government.

God, how much more do I have to type to make this the longest ever post on NSC?

........and one of the most sensible too, you forgot to say WILKINS OUT, or DK where's your cheque book too

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And indeed the country with the Tories poling 44% of the vote with sorry Labour coming in with 24% behind excuse me the lib Dems at 25%. The worst set of numbers for the Government in over 40 year's, indeed worse than those in 95 when as we all know John Major was booted out bt the Grinning Jackanapes himself, I feel the wind of change heading to these shores very soon! Rt hon David Cameron MP Prime Minister anyone :clap:

Calm down, dear, it's only the local elections :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here