Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A question for all you Seagulls in 'exile'...

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
When I moved up here, Coventry City were about the 3rd longest standing members of Div.1 (PL) and Albion were in Div 3. Believe it or not, the first time we pitched up at Highfield Road in 1979 I was as awestruck as if we were playing at the Camp Nou. I saw loads of City's big games during the 70s (mainly relegation escapes) so I have a bit of a soft spot for them. However, it was rather surreal when their fans were so proud of a 1-3 cup defeat at the Amex a couple of seasons ago.

Palace ? I only go near the place now on the train and they mean nothing to me, even though I was there the night the "rivalry" is supposed to have started in 1976.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Interesting to see differing opinions. It’s nice to see that I’m not alone, albeit still in the minority, in starting to place more emphasis on games with the local teams over Palace. I don’t doubt that a large part of it is down to the fact that I’m in contact with fans of Villa, Wolves and West Brom on a daily basis so there is more ‘banter’ to be had before and after those fixtures.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It would be better if Palace weren't such a small suburban club in the most anonymous part of Surrey.

Some of us up here have to put up with the fantasy that Everton are a "big club".

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I’ve lived away from Sussex for 36 years and it’s still Palace for me. I enjoy the games against the local teams more as less traveling and I know more of the home fans but doesn’t come close in terms of game importance.

Wow just realised you live in same part Birkenhead as my brother....

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Mrs AR and moi moved to Ruislip in 1994.
Living in the fan Bermuda triangle of QPR, Watford, Fulham, Chelsea and Brentford has its moments.
"What you're a Brighton fan" :lol:
I get all the usual jibes about not being a real football club, compared to the 'Landan' variety.
For us it's a good area to be in, as we've had chances of going to away matches, which is always fun.
Never really thought of being in exile, only another Albion fan on the periphery of Sussex, albeit 90 odd miles away :albion2:

FTR, Brentford has always been my favourite match up.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's nice to beat Palace. If only to keep some of them quiet. But as I've got older I find rivalry in general a bit bewildering. I just like to see Albion win.

The rivalry is an inherited concept anyway. An imputed emotion from your environment of outside influence. If Albion had never been rivals with Crystal Palace when we first came into the game most of us would never see them as such.

So, as false as any rivalry is, the pantomime can be fun. But it's not real. And as long as it's not ugly then let it continue. I have a thing about Leeds United for some reason. Not a Vagabond thing, but I'm just what I call an 'Un' fan. As in Un-Leeds United and Un-Portsmouth. I.e, I don't like to see them doing well, but I have no animosity. That sort of thing is an interesting study.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Lived in Liverpool for over 30 years. The outrageous two shots, two goals defeat was the most sickening loss for years, so Palace still for me. Beating Liverpool and City last season was amazing but they somehow don’t feel like rivals, more like big clubs we’re trying to sneak a result against. I guess my feelings could be different to the OP because he is surrounded by other clubs that we can realistically beat. UTA.

Just down the E Lancs from you in St Helens, also for about 30 years. Palace still the big one but it was so frustrating that because of lockdown I couldn't go down my local after the Liverpool win last season with a smug expression on my face....

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Moved the the US 15 years ago.
Initially it was difficult to stay up-to-date with the footy in general, let alone give a sh1t about Palace.

Most of my mates who are into football are either my old Uni mates or some sporadic "soccer" fans over here. Almost all are top 6 supporters.
Doesn't really feel like a rivalry with them - just feels nice to support a #teamlikebrighton and occasionally (more than occasionally?) get one over them.

Now I stay connected completely through social media (especially Twitter - sadly). So I definitely have a dislike for Leeds supporters and all their Ben White / Bielsa bullsh1t.
That said I actually like Leeds the team, and yes, even Bielsa.
Absolutely LOVED that we took all 6 points off them last season. Really felt personal if I'm honest.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
When we play Bangkok, Bali, Hong Kong, Manila and a bunch of chinese cities I'll let you know. Until then palarse are the pantomime villian for sure without any real competition since pompy are rubbish.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Lived in North East London for 20 years and still totally hate Palace. I know a lot of Brighton fans in the area, as well as several guys that either were Brighton fans as kids or had Brighton fan dad's. Whilst I could walk to Spurs and Orient from here, I'm not bothered by them. But when I see someone in a Palace top I am inexplicably outraged.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Lived in North East London for 20 years and still totally hate Palace. I know a lot of Brighton fans in the area, as well as several guys that either were Brighton fans as kids or had Brighton fan dad's. Whilst I could walk to Spurs and Orient from here, I'm not bothered by them. But when I see someone in a Palace top I am inexplicably outraged.

Not inexplicably - rightly!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
My neck of the woods is swamped with Wolves and Villa fans , mostly like me in thier 50s 60s deciding to move to their nearest seaside town in Wales so the sight of my silky Black American Express shirt on the Aberystwyth platform on a Brummy match generally raises a few eyebrows , followed by good natured banter mostly .

No other game comes close as a Palace match for the willingness for us to win , I'm old enough now to take a loss with a oh well except the Palace matches ! Spitting feathers is putting my mood politely if we fail to win , you can imagine the mood last season .

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
In Asia the handful of palarse fans are much more interesting to chat to over a pint than the big 6 plastic fans and think that goes for most of the 86 non-top6-league-clubs. I will have to do some more testing of the hypothesis however now bars are open.

Would still rather beat palarse than anyone else though by a fair degree!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I once went all the way up to Bolney but even then I still managed to maintain my contempt for palace.

I am ashamed to admit that I went to see Pink Floyd and The Faces etc in 1971 at the Crystal Palace Bowl.
TBF there was no great rivalry in those days.

Capture.PNG

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I live in a sleepy town in the middle of nowhere in SW France
a new sports shop opened recently and to my horror on my first visit,I spotted 2 palace baseball caps on a shelf
I nearly bought them just to put the in the bin,I didn't want some young French kid buying one and getting silly ideas

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm exiled from Sussex but now in Palace territory with several Palace supporting friends, so it's bigger for me now than it really used to be. Can't say I hate them in a way I used to though, but then you tend to be shaped by people you've met and most Palace fans I've met are good lads. My family is split between Brighton and Southampton (and my best mate is also Southampton) so that remains a big game for me, although it's not exactly vitriolic because we're all happy to see the other team do well.

Maybe I just feel less hatred around football in general? However I've never met a nice Portsmouth fan, so the longer they stay in league one or lower the better. I still can't stand them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here