Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A question for all you Seagulls in 'exile'...

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Living in deepest darkest Essex for the last 20+ years West Ham are very much the local team, but whilst its always nice to get one over on them it doesn't register as a "rivalry" in my brain like Palace does.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's nice to beat Palace. If only to keep some of them quiet. But as I've got older I find rivalry in general a bit bewildering. I just like to see Albion win.

The rivalry is an inherited concept anyway. An imputed emotion from your environment of outside influence. If Albion had never been rivals with Crystal Palace when we first came into the game most of us would never see them as such.

So, as false as any rivalry is, the pantomime can be fun. But it's not real. And as long as it's not ugly then let it continue. I have a thing about Leeds United for some reason. Not a Vagabond thing, but I'm just what I call an 'Un' fan. As in Un-Leeds United and Un-Portsmouth. I.e, I don't like to see them doing well, but I have no animosity. That sort of thing is an interesting study.

I agree with this, but will also add that interaction with individuals I intensely dislike, very often means I develop an equivalent feeling towards the football team they support (directly correlated with how much I dislike the person and how vocal they are about their team).

Exhibit A: Tottenham.
For most of my 40-odd years, I had no particular ill-feeling towards Spurs other than a general sense that their fans seemed to know nothing about football other than what's inside their Spurs bubble and they weirdly seemed to assume that Spurs was everyone's 2nd team...
Now I have the misfortune (due to work) to have almost daily contact with a weapons-grade c**t of a Spurs fan, who is possibly the most arrogant, narcissistic, ignorant, morally reprehensible piece of sh|t on the planet.
As a result, I now look out for Spurs' results and news in the hope that they are bad, terrible or cataclysmically awful.

My disdain for Palace is a good steady 7/10, whereas for Spurs, it's all the way up to 11.

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
Been living in DK for 10 years and Palace is always the first game I look for, and the only one I won't miss.

Everyone at work knows that I'll be missing for the days around that game, no matter the workload!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have lived away from Brighton most of my life, almost half of it in Gloucester, and no, I really don't feel any strong feelings about Cheltenham Town, even though we've never beaten them at their Whaddon Road ground in the league (and only once in the cup, in 1935 - which was before my time!)
Looking forward to the upcoming Forest Green cup fixture!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here