Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Public Apology To Dean Wilkins

brightonbear

Jan 2, 2008
I still don't like his matchday management, and still disagree with his tactics and substitutions a lot. So no, I still don't 'rate' him particularly highly.

The trouble with that statement is that no matter how much football you've watched over the years (and I respect your right to say that), you still haven't got a tenth of the gaffers experience/knowledge of the game, nor do you know the reason why he makes substitutions (injury, change of shape etc) or why he adopts certain tactics (maybe based on match reports form the oppo's previous games).

So for you to make such a pompous statement is what is in know as in technical football terms.......a load of bolloxs. And inconsequential. Sorry to burst your bubble old chap.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Yes, but we spent the money on Murray & Dixon at the same time as getting a similar sum for Hammond and Revell. The net spending in the transfer window was close to zero (if not a cash inflow). What we have got right in the last few months is not a question of money, more a question of the right choices....Murray and Thomson are class (thomson improves with every game). And loan signings like Westlake and Racon are further illustrations of a much keener eye for talent.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't think signings should be a real issue anyway. People are under estimating the amount of rebuilding we have had to do. We have effectively been a team in decline since we sold Currie and Cullip and we did not have a recognised striker last season. Dean should not be judged on past managers I.e. McGhee got us promoted from this league etc. etc. when here are completely different parameters.

Year after year, we have lost decent players and only really replaced them with youth teamers. Thankfully, that trend is now being bucked and we can push on. The only worry is that we are over reliant on loans, but that is expected when we have a small(ish) budget.

Oct 25, 2003
swindon and donny both came out saying that they were on top until brighton changed it..........one would imagine that this would suggest that wilkins has pretty good 'matchday management'

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Ah, i forgot about CKR.

But 300k (murray) + 75k (forster) + 55 k (dixon) adds up...

And yes, I agree - but McGhee was given less money to try and help us stay up in the league above - it's a fairly pointless comparison.

Hang on. We have sold players like Hammond, Revell and Elder to fund this activity. When you factor fees in has Wilkins actually spent money?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I can't comment on the quality of football being played by the team but from where I'm sitting(the otherside of the world) I can't see why people would have a problem with Wilkins. He's not been in the job too long(20 months?) so is going to make mistakes but generally he seems to be doing a fine job.

1)He seems capable of being able to change games with his decisions and substitutions. A prime example being the win against Doncaster.

2) The team is improving (results wise at the very least) under his stewardship.

3) He deals with players inhouse and not in the press. He doesn't seem to have had any serious/longlasting player fall outs. The squad seems happy and all pulling in the same direction.

4)He's proven himself to be pretty good in the transfer market: Richards, Whing, Thomson, Westlake, Racon, Forster, Murray. Yes he's had money to spend but so far he seems to have spent it wisely and certainly no worse than any of our previous managers.

Out of curiousity, what is he supposed to do to make himself a really good manager?

5)

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I would like to issue a public apology to Dean Wilkins tonight.

I have been feircely critical of " Deano " since he took, over lambasting him last season and for the first half of this season.

My recommendation for the future, to save you issuing these embarrassing public apologies, is to give a manager a chance to prove himself (or otherwise) before jumping to conclusions.

A lambasting for a failing manager is understandable. A lambasting for a guy who has only just taken over the job is unfair.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Hang on. We have sold players like Hammond, Revell and Elder to fund this activity. When you factor fees in has Wilkins actually spent money?

The comparison was with his and McGhee's spending though. He sold Currie, Virgo, Harding, Kazim-Richards, Knight and Cullip.

Going by your theory, McGhee didn't actually spend money.
:)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I still don't like his matchday management, and still disagree with his tactics and substitutions a lot. So no, I still don't 'rate' him particularly highly.

The trouble with that statement is that no matter how much football you've watched over the years (and I respect your right to say that), you still haven't got a tenth of the gaffers experience/knowledge of the game, nor do you know the reason why he makes substitutions (injury, change of shape etc) or why he adopts certain tactics (maybe based on match reports form the oppo's previous games).

So for you to make such a pompous statement is what is in know as in technical football terms.......a load of bolloxs. And inconsequential. Sorry to burst your bubble old chap.
The problem is that everyone on here, and probably every football fan, in their own mind is a manager and pundit, even though the highest level most have played is sunday league, if at all. You can usually tell which opinions to take seriously, most need to be taken with a pinch of salt

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My recommendation for the future, to save you issuing these embarrassing public apologies, is to give a manager a chance to prove himself (or otherwise) before jumping to conclusions.

A lambasting for a failing manager is understandable. A lambasting for a guy who has only just taken over the job is unfair.

I'm not embarrassed one little bit. Wilkins deserved the lambastjng he got last season but this season has seen a great improvement and as I predicted he may get us relegated this season I have accepted I was wrong and apologised. The side is shaping up. The facts are we are now where we should have been about 18 months ago and would have been if McGhee had stayed but my anger at McGhee getting sacked meant any manager who took over had a hell of a lot to prove. Wilkins is doing a good job and I am happy to hold my hands up and say he has done well this season and a hell of a lot better than I thought.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
I'm not embarrassed one little bit. Wilkins deserved the lambastjng he got last season .....

Did he? You only have to look at our forward line, due to a variety of reasons, and realise why last season was so poor. Did we have a recognised striker with a decent track record?

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Maybe you should accept the apology with good grace or is that too much for you. Hey I know shall we get some stocks and I can be put in there and all the pro Wilkins groupies can throw wet sponges at me.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Good effort US, it takes a real man to admit he is wrong.

Dean Wilkins is class, no doubt. My only problem all along has been that DK has not provided him with the funds or support to do his job properly. But hats off to DK too, not only has he helped in the transfer market (Hammond apart) but has supported further with loan signings. This latest move indicates the boards desire to get into the play offs and finally we can now see a team with a proper chance of success.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Maybe you should accept the apology with good grace or is that too much for you. Hey I know shall we get some stocks and I can be put in there and all the pro Wilkins groupies can throw wet sponges at me.

Sounds good to me, rotten fruit too?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Indeed, all proceeds to REMF.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The only point with which I would differ from Wilkins is his use, even as a sub, of Loft and Gatting. I would have thought that he could see that neither of them will make it with us unless we go backwards towards the conference.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton

If the NSC rumour mill is to be believed then this a current squad member isn't it?

I'm sure someone said brightonbear is an Albion player?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here