Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A possible solution to the "walk out" music and slowing down GOSBTS

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Apologies for starting a new thread but wondered if this idea could kill two birds with one stone.

Firstly, I'll lay my cards on the table. I'm not in favour of a pop song for the players to march out to. The Palace scum have their Glad All Over and I see that Naylor is suggesting Right Here Right Now. Trouble is both tunes are terribly out of date (as any pop tune will inevitably become) and they're both naff. Wedding music, basically.

What I think we need to do is give GOSBTS an update. Not that awful 200 bpm that Saxondale plays at the end of a game though. That's just appalling. Sacrilege, even.

Nope, what I reckon we could do is what Arsenal used to do - have a Marching Band. This means it will be loud and unique but us fans to actually sing the words to it.

The club will have 2 big screens that can show the words for the newbies and the team march out to a perfectly timed rendition of GOSBTS.

Imagine the first BHA v Palace game with 20,000 Albion fans singing "...and you may tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea".

The marching band needn't be every week but long enough for the habit of us singing our anthem is ingrained as ritual.

Tell you what - it would be fortress Falmer IMO.

Plus.....and this is my second point. Fans would start getting into the habit of knowing how fast to sing the tune. Who knows? The full rendition might even replace the dirge-like: Der Der Der Der......

What do you reckon? A go-er?

I think these are all EXCELLENT ideas.

[especially the one that was mine] :jester:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I've advocated the return of the Haywards Heath Town Band on at least two other threads.Let's keep this pressure going !

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I like the idea of the marching band and the crowd partcipation. I think that would be excellent.

Not sure I like the idea of having the words on the big screens though, it would look a bit naff in my opinion. I'd rather words be printed in the programme or handed out on a sheet as you enter the stadium or even supplied with your season ticket.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
An excellent idea.

Perhaps (as was suggested a couple of weeks ago) this would be the opportunity to slightly alter a few of the words.

I don't mean rewrite them, but perhaps take a couple of 'the better lines' from each verse, and make up one, complete verse - after all we're hardly going to get through the whole song are we?

Personally, I like the way West Ham do Bubbles - bit of PA build up, and then the rest is left to the crowd to sing.....

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
How about we get everyone (who's interested) to come up with their ideas to make up one verse out of this lot.........

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men we are we:
And when you go from Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Oh, Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the Sea
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Light is the love of a soldier
That's what the ladies say
Lightly he goes a-wooing
Lightly he rides away,
In love and war, we always are
As fair as fair can be,
And a soldier boy is the ladies joy
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

Far o'er the seas we wander
Wide through the world we roam,
Far from the kind hearts yonder
Far from our dear old home,
But never shall we forget my boys
And true we'll ever be
To the girls so kind that we left behind
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I think it's an excellent suggestion by PMB, not sure about messing with the words though.
I get a lump in my throat just reading them.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I think it's an excellent suggestion by PMB, not sure about messing with the words though.
I get a lump in my throat just reading them.

I agree, the words are very poignant - but I can't see them all being sung - I was thinking if we could take a couple of lines from each verse AND SING THEM SLOWLY that we might be onto something here...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So it's not unique then?

All sounds a bit superior and gay to me. It's about the football on the pitch, not whistles, balloons and general faggitry.

I think PMB means it will be unique NOW because the North London Paedos DID have one but they do not anymore and no one else does.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I agree, the words are very poignant - but I can't see them all being sung - I was thinking if we could take a couple of lines from each verse AND SING THEM SLOWLY that we might be onto something here...

I sort of see your point about all verses, maybe 1 & 2 with a chorus or two at the end. As long as it's not Ner ner ner-ner ner ner-ner :mad:

Actually, why not sing all of them?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Personally, I like the way West Ham do Bubbles - bit of PA build up, and then the rest is left to the crowd to sing.....
THIS.

Verses 1,2 & 4 with choruses through to the end - accompanied by brass band (live or recorded) and with words printed in programme (+handed out on paper for first few games) - then PA music is turned off and crowd continue with...

"All together now...

GOSBTS
GOSBTS
Oh we're going up and we'll win the cup
For SBTS"

edit: personal preference would be to have people (individual or choir) singing live (or recorded as per the band) to set the right pitch (low) and help keep the words in time with the music...

also, the crowd could perhaps be left to continue unaccompanied from the second line onwards of the final traditional chorus and into the "all together now..." bit...

Would be very good and I can't see why not...?

Magic bit would be the "fanfare" at the beginning of GOSBTS being really loud on the PA to announce the emergence of the players walking out...

Last edited:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I've advocated the return of the Haywards Heath Town Band on at least two other threads. Let's keep this pressure going !
Sadly, the Haywards Heath Town Prize Silver Band (no less) are no longer in existence. But their successors, the Mid-Sussex Brass Band, most certainly are. And very good they are too.

Other Sussex musicians, including the Horsham Borough Band, are also very capable of doing our anthem justice.

But it was the Christ's Hospital Band who performed it, quite superbly, on the Withdean pitch at the Oldham game in April 2007, in honour of the SBTS centenary.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Why can't GOSBTS be played before the game but given we'll be at a modern stadium play something modern straight away afterwards for the team to come out to? That'll kill two birds with one stone! :facepalm:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
why can't gosbts be played before the game but given we'll be at a modern stadium play something modern straight away afterwards for the team to come out to? That'll kill two birds with one stone! :facepalm:

nooooooo!!!!!!

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
All sounds a bit superior and gay to me. It's about the football on the pitch, not whistles, balloons and general faggitry.

I reckoN DalE WintoN anD thE WengeR BoyS doinG SusseX bY thE seA woulD bE welL funnY foR teH lulZZZ! ROFL

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here