Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A plea to Dean Hammond

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Bertin
Savage

Hammond ?

Players whose belief in themselves actually far exceeds their talent , egged on by agents who are only in it for the cut of the commission.

I think you at least have a point with Bertin & Savage as it seems they overestimated their worth as they dont seem to have another club, isnt Savage training at Falkirk ??

But a little different with Hammond I reckon.

He has some genuine appeal from some decent clubs and he needs to ensure that he is getting the correct deal.

I am sure he has some gripes with his contract situation and how its been handled up till here and I am sure that DK also needs to find some inclination to push the boat out to keep him.

I accept that the club is in a difficult situation as it would take some real money to tempt him to stay.

Probably the Murray signing hasnt helped in many ways and I presume DK would of known this when he made that deal, so I guess he expects him to leave.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
attila; You owe your career to this club and its youth policy. Show some belief.[/QUOTE said:
Not sure if thats quite fair.

I think if you asked Hammond he would undoubtedly agree that he owes his development to different people within the club and I am sure he would acknowledge that.

But as professional footballer he would also recognise that 'the club' has enjoyed his services free of charge since he broke into the first team and would if they could cash in on him if possible.

Also football clubs can be as ruthless as the worst agent out there, if at any time the club thought he was not a prospect they would discard him as quickly and as cheaply as they possibly could.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I'd say be honest with us.

You stated, or at least your agent did, that if the board show ambition to go up, you'd sign.

Well they've spent 300k on a striker, and are looking for more players, so I'd say they'd filled there side of the bargain.

So either sign, or tell us the truth that you want more money, and a bigger club.

Also, have a good look at yourself and think what's happened to most players after they leave the Albion. I think if you move on now, within a few years you'll be down with the likes of Leo Knight. I don't think you are good enough to play for a better team than Brighton, and I'm sure you will be 'found out' at a bigger club.

But as professional footballer he would also recognise that 'the club' has enjoyed his services free of charge since he broke into the first team and would if they could cash in on him if possible.

That's bollocks. He's been paid for the duration of his contract, so hardly free of charge is it? And if you're referring to the lack of a transfer fee paid for him then what about the money that has been used to invest in the youth programme? What about the money used to help him develop into a professional footballer capable of playing at this level?

I have no idea what his wages have been, and so cannot comment on whether or not he deserves more, but to say we've had him for nothing since he broke into the team is utter rubbish. We didn't have him for nothing even when he wasn't in the team!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That's bollocks. He's been paid for the duration of his contract, so hardly free of charge is it? And if you're referring to the lack of a transfer fee paid for him then what about the money that has been used to invest in the youth programme? What about the money used to help him develop into a professional footballer capable of playing at this level?

I have no idea what his wages have been, and so cannot comment on whether or not he deserves more, but to say we've had him for nothing since he broke into the team is utter rubbish. We didn't have him for nothing even when he wasn't in the team!

He has had wages of course, that happens when your a professional footballer you know, but he has performed for those wages and has been good for the club.

Look we just paid £300,000 for a league 2 striker so not to recognise Hammonds worth I think is foolhardy. We have had the use of a £200,000+ player 'FREE' for a good few years if you like it or not.

As for the youth programme, I think you will find that every club gets funded for that each year, so although I recognise that people within the youth set up work extremely hard within our set up the club arent the main funders of this part of young players development.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Come on Dean, sign your contract... yoo owe your career to the Albion... if you really are good enough for a higher level of footie, then you will either achieve that with Brighton, or a CCC club or higher will be willing to pay a fee for your services in the summer or at some other time during the duration of your new contract...

PS. BigGully... that is tripe... he has been paid wages... he is NOT by any logical standard FREE...

He has had wages of course, that happens when your a professional footballer you know, but he has performed for those wages and has been good for the club.

That is his job. To perform for his wages. I'm not saying he hasn't done a good job, I did say that he has been paid to do that job.

Look we just paid £300,000 for a league 2 striker so not to recognise Hammonds worth I think is foolhardy. We have had the use of a £200,000+ player 'FREE' for a good few years if you like it or not.

No we haven't. As you have just said, he has been PAID to play for us. We haven't had him free. He belongs to the Albion and we have PAID him to play. Just because we didn't pay six figures for him to sign on for us doesn't make him free. He has had more than one contract too so no doubt he has also had signing on fees, again, not free then.

As for the youth programme, I think you will find that every club gets funded for that each year, so although I recognise that people within the youth set up work extremely hard within our set up the club arent the main funders of this part of young players development.

I'm sure that the youth programme does get some funding, but I doubt very much that it covers the whole shebang. Whether YOU like it or not the club have contributed in monetary terms to Hammond's development, which again doesn't make him free.

He hasn't been free, in any way, shape or form. We have paid his wages. So there has been no transfer fee... but he has still cost the club money. Ergo, he is not free.

I think you will find that while there is a grant for the youth scheme, it is down to an individual club whether or not they invest money on top of this; I would imagine that the Albion do, given the quality and frequency with which good players are coming out.

Are you deliberately trying to be anti the club?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That is his job. To perform for his wages. I'm not saying he hasn't done a good job, I did say that he has been paid to do that job.

No we haven't. As you have just said, he has been PAID to play for us. We haven't had him free. He belongs to the Albion and we have PAID him to play. Just because we didn't pay six figures for him to sign on for us doesn't make him free. He has had more than one contract too so no doubt he has also had signing on fees, again, not free then.

I'm sure that the youth programme does get some funding, but I doubt very much that it covers the whole shebang. Whether YOU like it or not the club have contributed in monetary terms to Hammond's development, which again doesn't make him free.

Ok Ok .......... not free in your context .......... but in professional football terms he has been free, in as much as he was brought through the ranks and has become a player that would of cost the club a serious transfer fee.

Now as for the wages etc, of course that is paid, but I think your argument is weakened because you would of had to pay any player that is of his standard and playing in our team comparable wages too. So that isnt exactly an increase in expenditure for the club.

So I am saying free in the context of transfer fee's.

The youth set up might get some extra funding from the main club pool, but if they do it is negligible. I think the 'Centres of Excellence' receive in excess of £130,000 maybe more.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Dean.

Please don't think you are undervalued by the fans. Not in my house you're not anyway.

I rate you really highly.
You're my oldest boy's favourite player [apart from Jake and Coxy and Forster and Doug Loft]
My younger lad likes Wes Fogden best, but he's always contrary about stuff.
and my missus thinks you have 'a lovely smile', which is her polite way of saying she thinks you're fit.

So please sign the contract.

Cheers.

What he said. Although I like Jakey best (it's a hair thing) and my eldest likes Guy Butters and Coxy and my littlest likes Coxy and Elphick and Forster.

But you'd definitely make the top 10 of current favourite Albion players. You can see that with support like that, you have to re-sign.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If we get a serious cash offer in the next three days he will go - that's business and football is a business after all.

If not then he gets the choice to either hang with us and see if the management team (and players) can deliver in terms of his stated ambition

----or he can sign a pre-contract with Sheff Utd or (more likely) Palace and go in the summer.

Our choice or his decision? I know if I was DK and given the realities of football today I would cash in if there was half a chance.

And if he does go to Palace (more money, higher league, possible promotion candidates and no need to move house) who will be the fans' target - Knight or Hammond?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ok Ok .......... not free in your context .......... but in professional football terms he has been free, in as much as he was brought through the ranks and has become a player that would of cost the club a serious transfer fee.

Now as for the wages etc, of course that is paid, but I think your argument is weakened because you would of had to pay any player that is of his standard and playing in our team comparable wages too. So that isnt exactly an increase in expenditure for the club.

So I am saying free in the context of transfer fee's.

The youth set up might get some extra funding from the main club pool, but if they do it is negligible. I think the 'Centres of Excellence' receive in excess of £130,000 maybe more.

Either I have been drinking heavily, or that is complete gibberish.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I will say this only once

Dean Hammond is a professional footballer and will want to take the best financial contract he can get and test himself at the highest level he can achieve. (Some of you may already have spotted the obvious conclusion - but for one or two others, i will continue).

If we can get a cash offer in this window - he will have the option of negotiating a better paid contract (given that every championship club has more available funds than us) or turning it down and waiting until the summer in the hope that the fee saved by the buying club can be negotiated into his renumeration.

All the decisions are in Dean Hammond's court, none are within the clubs and i don't think even US would bet on him staying

PS the tooth fairy doesn't exist either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here