Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A negative thought

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You see I can be negative too.

It is worrying me that we haven't scored more than two goals since May 2004.
We have only come back from being 1-0 to win a game a couple of times.
It seems that once we go down to a goal we just cannot dig in deep and resolve to fight that bit harder to kill the game off.

I'm hoping we have a bit more bite up front this season but haven't seen any sign of it yet.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
i think the key is the desperate lack of creativity in midfield and the tendency of defence to 'hoof'. untill we find 2 or 3 quality, attack minded, forward passing AND running midfielders we will struggle to score goals.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Yorkie said:

It seems that once we go down to a goal we just cannot dig in deep and resolve to fight that bit harder to kill the game off.

I'm hoping we have a bit more bite up front this season but haven't seen any sign of it yet.
Wake up Yorks, you're having a dream.Or am i dreaming.For a moment there i thought you posted something about having Negative thoughts:wave:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Yorkie said:

Yeah we beat lewes 5-0:lolol: :drink:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Who has hijacked Yorkie's PC? Come on, own up. :angry:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Nobody has hijacked my pc.

It is definitely me. :wave:

I'm really hoping that CKR and El Turi can start scoring soon.

I think Leon is going to be on the wing providing the crosses.
I suppose it is a matter of time but the longer it goes the less confidence they'll have.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Already bottom of the 1 point crew on goal difference - makes you think doesn't it? If only we had loads of forwards....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Time for a new avatar methinks. ???

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dougdeep said:
Time for a new avatar methinks. ???

No not at all. I will always have hope and look on the bright side.

As I said it is a niggling worry not a major panic.

Isn't it also true that we do not ever pen an opposing side into their own half, maintaining a sustained attack?

Do we ever peg the game down in the midfield?

Where do we give opposing teams a lot of trouble, and expose their weaknesses?

We need to look at the midfield, as it doesn't give any security for us in attack or defence. It's like a flag that blows with wherever the wind makes it, and that won't get us anywhere in this division, more than hopeful relegation-zone survival.

The team is creditable for not being quitters, and for always looking for a result - but however hard they work, it'll often end pointless if we don't stamp authority on games either with tactical solidarity in holding down the middle and be able to pile on pressure - or an influencial midfield man or two, with that talent.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It worries me a bit too, but rest assured that our record of only scoring 2 goals or less in a competitive game will end on Saturday when we get a resounding 3....

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
problem is we don't have any creativity - I'd like to see Jarrett and this new frog winger given a run out in the team as they should be able to take the ball into the areas that make opposition defences.

at least it looks like that MM wants to play footy and not resort to hoof club.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
You have fallen into the evil clutches of us mere mortal fans Yorkie, welcome :wave:

That is not a negative thought though, more like a concern that has a solution and is exactly the sort of thing we should be allowed to air on NSC without being branded a moaner and a whinger and generally being talked down to and treated like a :dunce: because we don't have the tactical nous of SGE.

On your point about lack of goals I asked the question about this in a thread the other day and the only response was that 'if the strikers don't get the ball they can't score'. I thought this was fair to an extent but there are plenty of examples where strikers in struggling teams get plenty of goals, we just don't seem to employ these type of players , can't afford them or don't play a system that allows them to do this. It's probably too early to tell whether CKR or Turinezo can do this but it seems with our current midfield they are going to have to create some goals for themselves to enable us to score more than one or come back from deficits.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The big Argie definitely knows where the goal is. He had a couple of belters on Tuesday night. And Jakey (when he's allowed on the pitch) makes a bee-line straight down the middle. If nothing else, runs like that could see him up-ended a lot of the time, either in the area for Leon to convert, or outside the box for Chippy(that's CHIPPY, not Kerry Mayo, and not Leon or anybody else) to have a crack. And if you throw in CK-R, we've got a lot more healthy options up front than usual. Won't meet as good a defence as Readin's every week. See how we do against Crewe aye?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think the problem has been that our best goal scorer is also our most creative player. I've lost count of the times Knight has been upfront with long balls pinged at him or him raiding down the wings and putting in a dangerous cross only for none of his team mates to be up in support.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Voroshilov said:
I think the problem has been that our best goal scorer is also our most creative player. I've lost count of the times Knight has been upfront with long balls pinged at him or him raiding down the wings and putting in a dangerous cross only for none of his team mates to be up in support.

At last a common sense post, someone else who realises how important to this team Leon is.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Rookie said:
At last a common sense post, someone else who realises how important to this team Leon is.

open mind , still hoping he can prove a lot of people wrong and show himself to be a championship player. Jury out at mo

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yorkie Take off those dark Sunglasses! :lol:

I agree with points above re: our midfield. (R F Denilsons post)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here