Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A muslim lady knocked on my door today..

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Ok, I'll dignify you by explaining why it's not a joke to me. For a start it pre-supposes all Muslim women wear veils. They do not hence it's not funny 'cos it doesn't make sense. Even if you're into that kind of thing it would need to be 'A Muslim woman wearing a veil knocked on my door today' to make the punchline work for anyone with an understanding of English. Secondly, ah yes, the punchline. Women who wear veils do not speak through the opening, they look through it. So for the punchline to make sense it should be 'I didn't answer, just looked at her through the letterbox, see how she likes it' to make sense etc. Lastly, it's not a joke for me because even in a format that makes sense I just don't find it amusing. You do, that's your prerogative. That fact that I don't find it amusing doesn't make me PC, just different from you. I'm sure we're both glad of that.

Last edited:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Hungry Joe said:
Ok, I'll dignify you by explaining why it's not a joke to me. For a start it pre-suposes all Muslim women wear veils. They do not hence it's not funny 'cos it doesn't make sense. Even if you're into that kind of thing it would need to be 'A Muslim woman wearing a veil knocked on my door today' to make the punchline work for anyone with an understanding of English. Secondly, ah yes, the punchline. Women who wear veils do not speak through the opening, they look through it. So for the punchline to make sense it should be 'I didn't answer, just looked at her through the letterbox, see how she likes it' to make sense etc. Lastly, it's not a joke for me because even in a format that makes sense I just don't find it amusing. You do, that's your prerogative. That fact that I don't find it amusing doesn't make me PC, just different from you. I'm sure we're both glad of that.
When you speak through a letterbox do you line your mouth up with the letterbox, or your eyes? The way I've always imagined it is you look at the person, much like a muslim woman wearing a BURKA.

Thank god I'm not like you, I'll agree on that. Shall we agree to disagree?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Hungry Joe said:
Ok, I'll dignify you by explaining why it's not a joke to me. For a start it pre-suposes all Muslim women wear veils. They do not hence it's not funny 'cos it doesn't make sense. Even if you're into that kind of thing it would need to be 'A Muslim woman wearing a veil knocked on my door today' to make the punchline work for anyone with an understanding of English. Secondly, ah yes, the punchline. Women who wear veils do not speak through the opening, they look through it. So for the punchline to make sense it should be 'I didn't answer, just looked at her through the letterbox, see how she likes it' to make sense etc. Lastly, it's not a joke for me because even in a format that makes sense I just don't find it amusing. You do, that's your prerogative. That fact that I don't find it amusing doesn't make me PC, just different from you. I'm sure we're both glad of that.

You forgot to add: So stick that in your hubble bubble pipe and smoke it.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hungry Joe said:
I repeat, what about what I've said makes me PC? That's just another lazy label. I hate PC. I just don't think that joke is funny or makes sense.
It's like that shit joke on here about a kid with cancer. Trying to make up for being incredibly unfunny by being "close to the knuckle".

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hungry Joe said:
Ok, I'll dignify you by explaining why it's not a joke to me. For a start it pre-supposes all Muslim women wear veils. They do not hence it's not funny 'cos it doesn't make sense. Even if you're into that kind of thing it would need to be 'A Muslim woman wearing a veil knocked on my door today' to make the punchline work for anyone with an understanding of English. Secondly, ah yes, the punchline. Women who wear veils do not speak through the opening, they look through it. So for the punchline to make sense it should be 'I didn't answer, just looked at her through the letterbox, see how she likes it' to make sense etc. Lastly, it's not a joke for me because even in a format that makes sense I just don't find it amusing. You do, that's your prerogative. That fact that I don't find it amusing doesn't make me PC, just different from you. I'm sure we're both glad of that.

It doesn't presuppose that ALL muslim women wear veils. You certainly could imply that but doesn't pre-suppose it for a minute. If you go with the flow though and assume that they do then it does make sense. If you assume they don't but that the implication (which is then supported by the further revelation in the punchline) that the caller has a veil then it makes sense. The gist of the joke is that this particular women is muslim and has a veil. It's topical, innit.

One can still answer someone whilst looking through a letter box. The answer may be muffled but one could certainly do it. I just tried it with my 7 year old son and he heard me whilst only seeing my eyes. Therefore your statement that the punchline does not make sense does not hold water.

As an aside, many jokes play on the absurdities of language and siuation to be funny e.g. a penguin goes into a bar and says "have you seen my brother?" The barman say "Dunno, what's he look like?"

Now this is definitely a joke. Some find it funny, some don't but it certainly doesn't make any sense does it?

Lastly, jokes are a very subjective thing so your sarcastic comment of 'ooh, how hilarious' is a personal reaction from you and certainly not supported by at least a dozen other people who bothered to respond to the thread. Therefore, any criticism you have of the joke cannot be extrapolated to anybody else but yourself. We all got it and laughed.

Us British are universally known for using humour in any situation as a release of tension and stress. This particular joke shows how silly the whole veil debate is.

I thought the joke made sense, I thought it funny and absurd and topical, similar to that Matt cartoon. You didn't. That's all.

....and a joke is ALWAYS funnier when it is disseminated and analysed!:nono:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
NMH said:
Hungry Joe/Silent Bob must be a whizz at parties. Just don't tell nay blonde jokes or you'll have to qualify which hair-product they use!

Heckle and Jeckyl

:lolol:

My dog has no nose.

How does it smell?

It doesn't, you sick f***. It hasn't got a nose. Weren't you listening?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Welcome to the joke deconstrcution section of Late Review. This week: 'My dog has no nose. How does he smell? Awful' Germaine Greer - how does this one sit in the pantheon of dog gags and how seriously can we take it in light of the obvious scarcity of dogs without noses?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here