Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A moan (shock! horror!)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have to say that I found the "going down in 5 minutes" chant quite amusing. If factually inaccurate it still hit their fans where it hurt and I was almost surprised they didn't join in (I'm sure in the same situation we would have done!).

"1-0 to the batty boys" and "you're too ugly to be gay" always get a laugh from opposition fans and a bit of self-deprecation rarely goes amiss. You really can't beat Sussex by the Sea and even "seagulls" and "seasiders" make a good noise and show that the fans are there and behind the team but the chants in support of individual players are both unoriginal and - invariably - desperately poor. Do we actually need them? I really do cringe at the Calderon thing.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You're a total twat.

The fans know when they are taking the piss. Everyone knew we weren't going to relegate Southend today but it was a good laugh to wind them up.

What are you moaning about. Albion fans enjoying a good day out. That's all it was. Stop being a moaning wanker. If you don't like it just f*** off and support someone else.

Absolutely. Shock horror - people were enjoying themselves. Problem is that they weren't doing it to WWs rules :tantrum:

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
agree with the original post. many bha fans are a bit dim......shame. but this is football in general.

cue 5 pages of flame.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
In the absence of any original thought from our ' away choir '...can I suggest the following for Inigo ( to the tune of ' Scottish Soldier '...by Andy Stewart )

"There was a Spaniard, a Spanish full-back....
Who came from Deportivo....
How did they let him go...
He plays at right back....
And goes on the attack...
His name is Inigo Calderon.....

He's seen the glory
He's told the story
Of battles glorious and deeds victorious
But now he's at Brighton
And set to frighten
On the green fields of our home.

And these green fields are not Stockport fields
Or the Wycombe fields
They're not Southend fields
And fair as these green Rochdale fields may be
They are not the fields of the Championship. "

There are another 4 verses but you get the idea...( yes, I know...bit wordy, lacking punch and f...kng terrible...but everything has to start somewhere....)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I agree with the SBTS criticism, we often sing it too fast but yesterday was absolutely ridiculous. On the rest of it if you do not like the songs and think we are unoriginal start your own chants. It is not dificult and it is far easier to criticise than make an effort to change the situation. The balls in your court moaners, start chants, invent new ones and make us the most original supporters in the country or just stop moaning.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
What's wrong with 'Pints of sherry'?! Christ, we've got some of the best away supporters in the land. Make some songs up yourself, WW, if you think they're shit. For crying out loud!

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Look we cannot lose sight of the fact that there was actually ONE point in there that is correct and we need to address it know before we enter Falmer & The Championship (..what?)

GOSBTS ...PLEASE SLOW DOWN.

Just listen to the Yids singing "when the Spurs go marching in"

Last two games that has sounded brilliant, really gets the hairs on the back of the neck going.

Question to Paxton & Kinky was there a concious campain to slow it down?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Any noise, even irritating noise, is better than standing there mute waiting for the team to get the fans going. For once I joined in with the 'Going down' chants because every time I've been to Southend their fans seem to take especial glee in beating us, and yesterday was the first time I'd ever seen us win there. After the League Cup defeat there a season or two back, a group of their supporters sang 'one nil, and you f***ed it up' for the entire journey back to Liverpool Street in the train carriage I was on, so it was nice to take the piss for once.

I would, though agree on SBTS. It's becoming ludicrous, like it's a race to see who can finish it first. If enough people stand together and sing it slower, it will of course slow down anyway. Otherwise it's Jack Straw stood there singing it in the original tempo on his lonesome, long after everybody else has finished, as he did manfully at Barnet a few seasons back.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The Calderon chant has taken off more than it deserves to probably, but it is quite funny and luckly anything sung to the tune of Let it Be sounds quite good in unison anyway so I don't mind it till something better comes along!

GOSBTS is ridiculous though. Why can't people stop bloody clapping so fast? Completely ruins the song which is a shame as it sounds amazing when sung slowly. Funnily enough if we had a drummer for that particular number who could keep the pace slow it would probably sound brilliant!

Don't mind left side/right side too much, mainly because I think it would sound pretty good from the home end hearing quite a long repeated chant being exchanged from each side of the stand - let's face it they probanly can't hear how cringeworthy the words are!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Oops - really shouldn't post on here after games.

Still stand by most of my points though - Cringeworthy is the word.
Would be nice if we could sing some decent stuff at a pace people can hear.

Cracking noise though at least:clap:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
We need to get 4-5 lead singers at Dons away who start GOSBTS at a slow pace, if more people join in then the goons will either sing it at a proper pace or be drowned out :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The left side right side thing has been going on for years and has always been shit.

Well done boys, you know your left from your right...

Don't think it's done to establish that :laugh:

I really like the song cos of the way it's divided up - it sounds awesome when done right and u can always see opposition fans looking when thats sung cos it sounds different

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
WW is right tho - we do need songs for players - Crofts / Dicker / Nav / Bennett etc - people try and be too clever (esp on the suggest a song threads on here!) - someone should make some good player songs up and sing them / start them

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Agree with most of what was said, although any chanting, however basic, repetitive or old has to be better than none at all.

On the Calderon sherry chant, it's OK, but it felt right for McGhee whereas there's nothing about Calderon that suggests he's a drinker, sherry or otherwise.

Personally, I think we should be singing:

"Washing machines live longer with Calderon"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here