Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A mate of mine has £400,000 to invest in a business, what should he go for ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Must admit I've never understood that aphorism. The magic beans actually worked didn't they? Giant golden eggs - Now that sounds like a worthwile investment to me!?

Well. Whether they worked or not depends on what the seller told Jack when he showed him the beans, surely? If the only selling point was a guaranteed common-or garden beanstalk, then everyone's a winner, however if the seller promised him a super-sized beanstalk and additional giant-killing powers which subsequently did not materialise, then I would suggest that would attract the attention of Trading Standards (Legume Division).

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Well. Whether they worked or not depends on what the seller told Jack when he showed him the beans, surely? If the only selling point was a guaranteed common-or garden beanstalk, then everyone's a winner, however if the seller promised him a super-sized beanstalk and additional giant-killing powers which subsequently did not materialise, then I would suggest that would attract the attention of Trading Standards (Legume Division).

Lol. It was my understanding that the beans were *winks* magic. From my very poor recollection of the sale/trade in the story I do not recall a dragons den sales pitch aimed at Jack. Although that may be because the haggling process may have ruined the story for many children, strangely it would have only added to the story for me

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Are you Gordon Brown in disguise? Since when do you buy something when it is near or at its peak price? I euppose you'd recommend selling it after prices plummet to an all time low too?

The price of gold always goes up at the start of a recession as traders move their money from stocks and currency to a safer, less voilitile investment in Gold, the price traditionally drops as a recession ends as investers sell gold and turn to shares and currency again.

As far as i know we are at the tail end of a recession
making investment in gold look a bad idea.

When you create billions out of thin air (ala "bailouts") you destroy a currency. Gradually our money is becoming worth less and less (through inflation). The difference with this recession compared to others is that there is no coming back from this now. Western economies have delayed a serious recession for a long time, you say Gold is at its peak price. I say just you wait and see.

EDIT: Bare in mind that the price of gold in £ or $ does not really reflect the "value of gold" so much as it reflects the value of the money. This is not just a case of gold becoming more valuable as it becomes an attractive investment, it is in large part a case of paper money becoming less valuable, as the money supply is consistently diluted with new money (inflation).

Last edited:

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
If he wants to invest in a business, I recommend he buys a restaurant bar and turns it into a Hooters type place, a sports bar but with waitress service by good looking girls, he`ll make a fortune if nottingham`s on Saturday is anything to go by.

If he wants to invest in something to give him an annual income then I suggest Gravity Childcare, which is a charity company that is building childcare homes for children in care or renovating existing ones, as the govt is letting local authorities move their obligations into private enterprise. Gravity`s first home is already open and successful, Ofsted are amazed at the homes and what they do for the kids, because gravity has its own travel agent they take them on holidays, excursions etc and every kid has their own room, no sharing. The govt are paying £2500 per week per child so the income is guaranteed and there are no more than 6 kids in each house.

The returns are guaranteed and for £100,000 investment into the homes you`ll receive 15% in yr 1 and a whopping 30% in yrs 2, 3, 4 and 5, when you will then have your original investment returned. So if he invested say £200,000 he`d get 30k in yr 1 and 60k for yrs 2, 3, 4 and 5. He wouldnt have to work necessarily and he`d still have 200k left to diversify.

If he wants to hear more, message me and I`ll be happy to give him some more details, and its all for a really good cause too, helping kids who have had sexual, physical, mental abuse and neglect.

Even someone with 10k can invest and get 15% for the first 3 yrs, 20% in yr 4 and 25% in yr 5, so its open to everyone.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Invest in me! Can I leave my awful job and run a cheese shop please?

I might have to work on that pitch a little...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
He needs to speak to a good Business Angel ... I have just the person for him, PM me!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The original poster asked for investment ideas.

Anybody believing that gold is an investment is not qualified to respond. At best its speculation and at worst gambling.

The same applies to UK property prices right now.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Stick it under the bed or in Premuim Bonds, you don't pay tax and can't lose.

I know Preium Bonds is a max of £36K.

Avoid the stock market, my Pension fund goes down every year by the amount I put in, something wrong there.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Gold prices are the highest that they have been, not the highest that they will be.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Gold prices are the highest that they have been, not the highest that they will be.

Definition of ramper: Someone who has speculated in a product, and attempts to push the price up by talking up the desirability.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Land my friend and convert it into a Solar Farm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here