Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A mate of mine has £400,000 to invest in a business, what should he go for ?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I do not know but just compared it to what we were taking in the pub and it was far better. As you say the overheads may be high.

yes, it's astonishing that people will pay around £6 for a coffee and muffin in such places, then buy their beer in tescos because it's cheaper to drink at home. Give me the pub atmosphere any day.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If I had any money now I would invest it in business units ready for the Government's changes to the planning system to allow easy change of use form B1 to residential to come through later this year and then go about converting them all.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Buy Gold. It is the only thing that retains its value and in particular it is a hedge against inflation.

Don't buy property, the correction has not yet occured and house prices continue to be inflated.

Grow food. When the supermarkets shut - what u gonna eat punk?

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught you will realize you cannot eat money." Native American Proverb

Goodnite and Good luck.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I should add I'm only interested in swapping the magic beans for a cow.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
put it on nadal to win roland garros

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Bad news for Freddo investors:

This afternoon I bought a Freddo in the Morrisons garage shop to celebrate the price of diesel going down by 2p a litre - only for the sales assistant to point out that Freddos have recently gone up from 17p to 20p each.....thats a 17.6% increase. I thought fuel prices were volatile, but thats ridiculous!

That means only 235,294 Freddos for your £400k....or 31,000 less bars of choccie than suggested earlier.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Cookery school for kids. Holiday clubs/After school clubs/in school demonstrations/make your own food parties and so on. Get them into healthy food. Link up with the council and get a culinary celeb to open up the business.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Invest in Norway, whether stocks, funds or cash. The country is rich in resources and cash. Their Government is stable and responsible; but best of all it is not going to get sucked in to the Euro mess like other countries..................those lucky independent Norwegians can still determine their own future. All in.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Buy Gold. It is the only thing that retains its value and in particular it is a hedge against inflation.
Don't buy property, the correction has not yet occured and house prices continue to be inflated.

Grow food. When the supermarkets shut - what u gonna eat punk?

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught you will realize you cannot eat money." Native American Proverb

Goodnite and Good luck.

Are you Gordon Brown in disguise? Since when do you buy something when it is near or at its peak price? I euppose you'd recommend selling it after prices plummet to an all time low too?

Shares in a mining company producing lots of gold, the gold price is at an all time high!! or they could always buy the physical stuff

The price of gold always goes up at the start of a recession as traders move their money from stocks and currency to a safer, less voilitile investment in Gold, the price traditionally drops as a recession ends as investers sell gold and turn to shares and currency again.

As far as i know we are at the tail end of a recession making investment in gold look a bad idea.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Don't see how you can lose buying a property outright, doing it up and renting it out in London. There seems to be a real lack of decent property at the moment.

I was amazed talking to someone the other day who was trying to rent a flat in St. Albans (albeit outside), but commutable. The property went to sealed bids - for RENTAL !

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Invest in pumpkins, around the end of October time. Can't fail.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

an interesting issue at the moment, as it is my understanding that a key driver for the current prices are that it hasnt kept pace with inflation, so seems to be undervalued compared to historic, inflation adjusted average price, and is catching up. on the other hand gold, along with most other commodities, looks very much like a bubble.

400k could buy a couple of decent properties for rent. like the idea of a coffe shop franchise at the takings suggested. i'd suggest funding a couple of things, like a sandwich shop (low cost high margin), small bar/pub (dont why dismissed)... spread it around. if trained in the area a nursery does sound like a great idea too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
max your cash ISAs - 4 year fixed *2 - £10k - low risk
max your stocks & share ISAs *2 - £10k - medium risk
£250k - 4 bedroom house - fill with students - regular income + capital appreciation - low risk
£100k - nursing home investment - speculative
£30k - spend, gamble and enjoy

Along these lines. Whatever you do, DIVERSIFY. I work at a branch of IFAs, please do PM me if he would be seeking an appointment to discuss it with professionals.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
I should add I'm only interested in swapping the magic beans for a cow.

Must admit I've never understood that aphorism. The magic beans actually worked didn't they? Giant golden eggs - Now that sounds like a worthwile investment to me!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here