Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A lack of urgency may cost Albion

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
A lack of urgency may cost Albion
By Andy Naylor

Albion could pay a heavy price for their tardiness during the January transfer window.

Nobody can quibble about the amount of money chairman Dick Knight was prepared to spend to land the sort of established goalscorer the Seagulls are crying out for to safeguard their League One status.

Bids ranging from £100,000 to £165,000 were made for Nicky Forster, Darren Byfield and Leon Constantine. The problem was not so much a lack of cash as a lack of urgency.

Why did it take so long for Albion to get their act together?

It was not until halfway through the month, on January 16 to be precise, that Forster forced his way back into Hull's starting line-up. We will never know but would Hull have been more willing to sell if the Seagulls had swooped as soon as the window opened, while he was still on the bench?

A bid for Byfield was not made to Millwall until about January 21, followed by an increased offer early last week with the deadline looming.

Albion had only 24 hours to divert their attention to Constantine once Millwall had revealed their inflated asking price for Byfield. The window was already well on the way to closing by the time the Port Vale marksman said thanks but no thanks.

The result? The clock ticked past midnight with no forward signed and, incidentally, with Albion's top midfield target Darren Currie still stuck at Ipswich.

Knight needs to be off the mark a lot quicker when the loan window re-opens on Thursday. It will be even more difficult to borrow a striker with the pedigree of a Forster, Byfield or Constantine but Albion must push the boat out to try.

Make no mistake, they have a fight on their hands to stay up. The next two matches, away to Brentford and Leyton Orient, two of the teams below them, have suddenly assumed greater significance after another blank scoreline and an unlikely set of results elsewhere.

While Albion were failing to score for the sixth time in seven games, and more than three-and-a-half at home, Brentford and Millwall were pulling off improbable victories at Blackpool and Yeovil.

Cheltenham have now beaten Bristol City and Swansea in their last two matches. Orient did what the Seagulls could not, by beating Port Vale on their own patch, and even that battling victory at Chesterfield last month was put into perspective by Bournemouth winning away from home for the first time this season at Saltergate.

As the rest rally, Albion continue to tread in treacle. It is one win in 11 now, two points from 15 at Withdean and, more to the point, no goals from open play this year.

The good news is that Albion look firm at the back now, although their new-found solidity will be severely tested by the next three visitors to Withdean, Nottingham Forest, Bristol City and Scunthorpe.

The problems lie at the other end of the pitch. They need a couple of wins to restore belief and that means finding the type of goalscorer they had 31 days to land last month.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Dont like to agree with Mr Naylor...but on this he is right...sort out your targets and get the business done before someone moves the goalposts

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The Auditor said:
Dont like to agree with Mr Naylor...but on this he is right...sort out your targets and get the business done before someone moves the goalposts

Naylor is right most of the time.Fans just don't like hearing the truth

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Picking up the dregs at the end of the transfer window is not only the Cheap option, but one which may well work out costing us dearly.I don't see any of the signings pulling the fans back in, in fact i see the opposite happening.
Unless we can get 1 or 2 big name players in on loan i can see attendances dropping further and another relegation on the horizon.
I hope to be proved wrong of course.

Last edited:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
BUTTERBALL said:
We can still take loans and Savage looked ok yesterday, so all is not lost. As a certain Mr Adams used to say......keep the faith!
He also used to say failing to prepare is preparing to fail!

:eek:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Titanic said:
It's very easy to be right after the event.

Or maybe it can be called good summing up of the situation.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
He is so right. We are in DEEP shit if we don't sort ourselves out soon.

Even with the new signings we looked 'same old same old' on Saturday. Very poor:nono:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I dont understand why Mr Knight did not buy Forster at the opening of the transfer window when in Mr Knights own words the player WANTED to come and Adam Pearson the Hull Chairman said we could buy him.

Last edited:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
kestrel said:
I dont understand why Mr Knight did not buy Forster at the opening of the transfer window when in Mr Knights own words the player WANTED to come and Adam Pearson the Hull Chairman said we could buy him.

probably trying to get the price down

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Complete Badger said:
I think Naylor is a decent journalist, and apart from his blind faith in McGhee, he gets most things right. I'm not saying he was wrong to back McGhee, but his unwillingness to even consider criticising him during a relegation season was ridiculous. Other than that though, he does a decent job. He gives a fairly independant view, and doesn't just drivel out the official line.

What about his views on the Wayne Henderson soap opera

C.Gull

Jan 29, 2007
Naylor is right to highlight the serious situation the Albion are in and the lack of urgency in signing players who would have given us the chance to move up the table,Twelve months ago failure to bring in new blood resulted in relegation,yet they are going down the same path again.
This thread indicates that supporters are aware of this and want action taken,yet if you read the Seagulls forum any sort of critismn is attacked and in fact the bottom of the barrell signings were welcomed.

D

Deleted member 2719

Come on guys all is not lost.

The best thing is don't read Naylors tripe and you will stay much more positive he just trying to prove a point and make MCGhee look better.

The Fact is there are plenty of games left we have a handful of new players who need to hear a positive Albion faithful singing there nuts out on the terraces even if it only happens to be away.

Keep The Faith.

:albion1: :albion1: :albion1:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
For once i think Naylor has got it about right. There appears to have been a lack of urgency by Knight for the last three years. I find it interesting that suddenly half a dozen players (loans and permanent signings) have been made in just the last few days. Calling them the "dregs" is a bit harsh....but "tried and tested" they are not. Interesting that these signings have been made following an alarming number people who are not going to re-new their season tickets. Personally, I think the signings made , are too late, and not good enough, to persuade many of those not re-newing to change their mind.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Mouldy Boots said:
Come on guys all is not lost.

The best thing is don't read Naylors tripe and you will stay much more positive he just trying to prove a point and make MCGhee look better.

The Fact is there are plenty of games left we have a handful of new players who need to hear a positive Albion faithful singing there nuts out on the terraces even if it only happens to be away.

Keep The Faith.

:albion1: :albion1: :albion1:

I kept the faith last season (and got accused of blind faith with rose tinted specs) I really believed we could stay up if things went for us.
I'm older and wiser now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I just put it down to the fact that we didn't actually have any money of note until we knew what we were getting for Henderson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here