Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A few facts for the fans that don't come to many games

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
the club need the money and the new fan base....very short sighted of you and very pig headed

All football clubs need money granted; however as for the new fan base, I would argue very strongly that if the sort of idiots that were surrounding me in the North Stand are the "new fan base" then the club is in big trouble.

The "new fan base" need to understand that we are newly promoted to the most competitve league in the country (and argueably the world) and that we are trying to build something for the future. A club with good youth that plays attractive football and can hopefully rise into the top flight and stay there.

I hate to use the term JCL's or Plastics; however the people that I witnessed in the North this weekend were probably safely in both camps. If they want to see superstars then they should trundle up the motorway to Manchester. If they want to SUPPORT a developing team and squad and join the masses of quality Albion fans then they are more than welcome.

Totally point taken that my original post was a rant; however it was fresh in my mind at that point and I was very angry (particularly about the booing).

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Whilst Wrexham would cetainly not disgrace higher divisions i felt we were'nt quick enough to close them down in midfield and allowed to carry the ball far too far, especially for their goal.We backed off when a tackle should have been made 30 yards from goal.In attack(cough) all of our most of our players had their backs to goal and no one made a run beyond the ball after passing it.
Just my 2ps worth

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Just reading through this thread and many people believe we showed a lack of respect to Wrexham, NOT AT ALL. Were the championship side and its our prerogative to rotate our squad.

People need to understand that when your playing lesser opposition you need to rest key players make sure your first team regulars do not pick up knocks and hope that one of the fringe players makes you sit up and say "you know what he could maybe do something". None of that is disrespecting the opposition its just the football food chain.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I'm an occasional visitor to matches, having been to Fratton Park and the Amex for Peterborough, Southampton and Wrexham. I live in Gosport so going into work last Tuesday was just great! And I think the Amex is a great place to watch football.

But back to the OP; on my first 2 trips to the Amex I sat with my lad in the lower West Stand and we both thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My lad couldn't attend against Wrexham so I took the opportunity to sit in the North Stand to be amongst the 'noisy' supporters. Now maybe it was because the regular North Stand supporters were absent or elsewhere, but I was not overly impressed, not least by the absolute idiot who sat behind me who insisted on f-ing and b-ing throughout the match. His piece de resistance was when one of the Wrexham players was receiving treatment to which he shouted "Let the f***ing c**t die, he's only Welsh!" I'm no prude but this unacceptable, and I wasn't alone, as I turned to say something the guy on my right had already done so. To my left was a couple with a young child and I consider it completely unacceptable for them to be exposed to that sort of language.

I still enjoyed the day and I thought that overall the youngsters did well. But I will be back in the West Stand next time, hopefully for Millwall and then Portsmouth.

And if you were the person in G216 then please moderate your language.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Yesterday was my first visit to the Amex as I live in South Africa. My problem isn't so much how we played (it was shit, yes) but the fact that we have six academy players in the side in the first place. Why can't we treat the cup properly like all clubs used to? And in the end it's backfired. Put out a strong team and we would have most likely won easily and more importantly if he wants to keep players fresh, NO REPLAY. I was really disappointed with Gus yesterday. Cue abuse.

One more thing, pies yes, burgers yes, hot dogs yes, but why no bloody chips??????

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yesterday was my first visit to the Amex as I live in South Africa. My problem isn't so much how we played (it was shit, yes) but the fact that we have six academy players in the side in the first place. Why can't we treat the cup properly like all clubs used to? And in the end it's backfired. Put out a strong team and we would have most likely won easily and more importantly if he wants to keep players fresh, NO REPLAY. I was really disappointed with Gus yesterday. Cue abuse.

One more thing, pies yes, burgers yes, hot dogs yes, but why no bloody chips??????

So in other words you are upset you didn't see the first team play and you would have been happy to have risked more players to injury just so YOU could see them play.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
So in other words you are upset you didn't see the first team play and you would have been happy to have risked more players to injury just so YOU could see them play.

No, it is because I want us to win. What's the point of playing in the cup at all if it is just seen as an injury risk? I think it's ridiculous and damaging to think like this and we are not good enough to do it. By this logic we should do the same against Newcastle if we get through, but I'm sure we won't.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
OK so maybe all the newcomers & 1st timers did not enhance the atmosphere but, if they hadn't come how big would the crowd have been with so many STH's deciding to give it a miss?

I managed to talk a few into going and I hope they enjoyed it enough to come again.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Yesterday I had 2 guys sitting behind who in the 2nd half did nothing but shout hit it long, they couldn't see that Barnes hadn't won a header all afternoon but still they wanted it hit up the middle. I haveto say they were not the regular 2 behind me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here