NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
From Northampton Today

Vultures hovering as Town head to Brighton

Andy Kirk is hoping to play at Brighton

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »
View GalleryBy Jeremy Casey
Less than a week into the new season it's not just seagulls that are hovering over the Withdean Stadium, there are a few vultures as well.
Two defeats from two difficult away fixtures at Crewe and Cardiff City to start of the season may not on the face of it be a cause of chagrin for the Brighton supporters – especially as they took the Bluebirds to extra-time before losing 1-0.

But throw into the mix that the Seagulls haven't won a competitive game since their 2-0 win against the Cobblers at Sixfields back on March 31, and their concerns may be better understood.

Indeed, Brighton have lost seven of their last eight matches, with the only respite a 1-1 draw at Cheltenham on the final day of last season – and they haven't won at home since a 2-1 triumph over Nottingham Forest on February 17.

Manager Dean Wilkins insists he is under no pressure, saying: "We have lost on the road at Crewe and we have lost to a Championship side, so I don't think we should sensationalise the first two games."

But the fact is that all is far from rosy on the south coast, despite the feelgood factor of the club being given the go-ahead to build a new stadium and get away from their temporary home at the Withdean.

There may be more pressure on the home side tomorrow than would normally be expected for the first home game of a new season, but Northampton Town boss Stuart Gray isn't reading anything into Brighton's apparent troubles, and he doesn't buy into the theory that this is a good time to play the Seagulls.

"It doesn't matter because at the end of the day you have to play all of the teams," said Gray. "The most important thing for us is that we are unbeaten in two this season, and we had a good result at Doncaster at the end of last season.

"But this is going to be a difficult game. We played Swindon last Saturday and I knew that would be hard because they are a promoted team, and promoted teams are always full of confidence because they have been winning games."

Indeed, Gray feels the dawn of a new season coupled with the news of the new ground will see a positive vibe among the home fans on the south coast tomorrow.

Gray is likely to stick with the side that beat Millwall 2-0 in the Carling Cup first round on Tuesday night, although he revealed that striker Andy Kirk may be struggling.

"Andy has a little bit of a groin problem, so we just need to see how he is.

"He has been playing with it for a couple of games, and that is why we ended up bringing him off against Millwall. But fingers crossed he will come through and be okay."

If Kirk, who has scored two goals in the opening two games, doesn't make it then he will most likely be replaced by Colin Larkin who would fit in up front alongside Poul Hubertz.

Kirk and the long-term injury concern Giles Coke apart, everybody else is fit and well for Town's first seaside trip of the season.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
throw into the mix that the Seagulls haven't won a competitive game since their 2-0 win against the Cobblers at Sixfields back on March 31, and their concerns may be better understood.

Indeed, Brighton have lost seven of their last eight matches, with the only respite a 1-1 draw at Cheltenham on the final day of last season – and they haven't won at home since a 2-1 triumph over Nottingham Forest on February 17.

When you look at the record though, you have to admit it makes pretty depressing reading :(

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not really our form over the last 8 games is abysmal and both DW and the the team need to stop the rot at least. I will be happy with a draw just to get a point on the board. Another defeat and large sections of the crowd will turn on individual players and DW imo.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
It's just a shitty, worthless local rag trying to stir up shit before the match. BORING :yawn:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
From Northampton Today

Indeed, Gray feels the dawn of a new season coupled with the news of the new ground will see a positive vibe among the home fans on the south coast tomorrow.

Good point............ but a pity, that with probably 3500 empty seats due to lack of investment, another £70,000 lost in revenue.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No, 3,500 empty seats due to people not bothering their arses to turn up.

We're not gonna agree on this but the hardcore of this club is now down to 5,000 and blaming the stay away fans is not gonna help. With a bit of investment and a little bit of success the club could fill the ground. The investment needs to come before they can expect the crowds and that's just the way it is. It's not a case of 3,500 not bothering more a case of a club not offering much in the way of ENTERTAINMENT and whatever the consequences that is the reason floating fans go to football.

Apart from the hardcore most occasional football fans don't give a shit why we haven't got the money they just see that there's not much on offer on the pitch in an area of the country where there are plenty of alternatives to entertain yourself on a Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
not really fair. We were robbed at Cheltenham and Crewe by dodgy refereeing. No shame in losing to Cardiff.

All in all, we're a mid-table team. Northampton on the other hand were dreadful when we played them in March.

Really dreadful.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No, 3,500 empty seats due to people not bothering their arses to turn up.

OI

laura will have my ticket as I am playing cricket.

In fact I dont see an Albion game until the second week in September ( not that I cant be arsed, its just that I would rather play cricket)

Not everyone cany be arsed Alan

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I just look forward to a decent headline in the Argus on Monday, something like:

"Albion deliver swift kick in the cobblers"

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I just look forward to a decent headline in the Argus on Monday, something like:

"Albion deliver swift kick in the cobblers"
More likely to read "What a load of Cobblers":(

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We're not gonna agree on this but the hardcore of this club is now down to 5,000 .

From about 6,000 during the best days so not much different. The main difference is that we cannot attract the people who want to see a winning team as we do not have one through lack of investment.

If we had won both of our games this season, tickets would have sold easier but until we win some games 'fans ' will not come if they have something else that they can do.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
3300 season ticket holders
800 away support
1900 floating sales

6000 crowd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here