Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

90% of schools on strike 30th Nov..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Of all the public sector, they have to be the most privileged. Its not an easy job at times but onger holidays than anyone else, inset days, good materity rights etc. Where else do you work 194 days a year?
On the subject of their pension there seems to be a complete absence of understanding of what their pension costs the nation. The real cost of circa 25-30% on top of gross salary, their new deal is still a good deal compared to what is available elsewhere.
Striking is not only a waste of time but it is damaging our kids education.
If I were a teacher I'd take the deal, before the government changes their mind..

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
The teachers i know work long hours and are badly paid. OP is either a troll or seriously ill informed

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Depends how you define badly paid, a teacher quoted £40k on the other thread as his poorly paid salary

Indeed !!! My ex earns £35k and my sister £45k - both teachers. Well above the average.

The teachers i know work long hours and are badly paid. OP is either a troll or seriously ill informed

Teachers are not badly paid. They start at about £22k outside London and £27k inside London with a fair amount of lee-way in between. That's STARTING pay and is pretty near or over the average working man's salary. Add on top of that a generous pension scheme and 10 weeks holiday a year and whatever the rights or wrongs of this strike involve - that is not a bad whack.

Here's the scales: Qualified teachers' pay scales from September 2011 - Career - TES

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Depends how you define badly paid, a teacher quoted £40k on the other thread as his poorly paid salary
My sister is a teacher ( special needs ) and she complains about her 'poor salary' and how she struggles to make ends meet - she's on £35k p.a
Needless to say, she and I disagree on the definition of 'poor salary'
Try getting by on £7.5k is my argument but that seems to go over her head!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

That will be a teacher with a responsibility point somewhere, i.e they've moved up into a lower management position. Outside of London bog standard teachers will earn from £22k for M1 up to £31 for M6, thereafter they stop unless they take on more responsibility. I do agree that some teachers don't know how well off they are compared with others but it isn't the rosy easy ride some people seem to think it is.

For the record I work as a supply so today's school closures means no available work and no pay.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Serious questions for any teachers on NSC. Why are inset days pretty much always on the first day back from a holiday, and why do you need to take an extra day off anyway, what exactly are inset days for and what do you do on inset days? It's an honest question as I've always wondered what they are for because they are a bloody nusiance for parents

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Serious questions for any teachers on NSC. Why are inset days pretty much always on the first day back from a holiday, and why do you need to take an extra day off anyway, what exactly are inset days for and what do you do on inset days? It's an honest question as I've always wondered what they are for because they are a bloody nusiance for parents

Inset days were bought in during the 1980s and were originally known as 'Baker Days' after the Conservative Education Minister who introduced them alongside the National Curriculum. They are in effect training days used to introduce or train staff up on the latest policy initiative from the government which can cover a multitude of things from subjects to child safety policy. One day is also used to moderate coursework which is a time consuming matter needing the involvement of every teacher who taught the subject or syllabus. Schools are limited to 6 a year with 2 of them are often used in September before pupils return in order to set the school up for the rest of the year. The rest are spread throughout the year as the school sees fit often bolted on before or after a holiday as it is believed to make less impact on learning. Whilst it is less demanding than a teaching day it isn't a day off, though I find many of them boring as it is just a series of meetings either with the whole staff or within a department.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Inset days were bought in during the 1980s and were originally known as 'Baker Days' after the Conservative Education Minister who introduced them alongside the National Curriculum. They are in effect training days used to introduce or train staff up on the latest policy initiative from the government which can cover a multitude of things from subjects to child safety policy. One day is also used to moderate coursework which is a time consuming matter needing the involvement of every teacher who taught the subject or syllabus. Schools are limited to 6 a year with 2 of them are often used in September before pupils return in order to set the school up for the rest of the year. The rest are spread throughout the year as the school sees fit often bolted on before or after a holiday as it is believed to make less impact on learning. Whilst it is less demanding than a teaching day it isn't a day off, though I find many of them boring as it is just a series of meetings either with the whole staff or within a department.

Thanks, Not a just jolly for teachers then! :smile:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
My girlfriend is in work from 8am until 5.30pm, and then has to do marking, lesson planning and whatnot for a couple of hours each evening. She also spends a large chunk of Sundays doing work stuff as well

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Teachers are not badly paid. They start at about £22k outside London and £27k inside London with a fair amount of lee-way in between. That's STARTING pay and is pretty near or over the average working man's salary. Add on top of that a generous pension scheme and 10 weeks holiday a year and whatever the rights or wrongs of this strike involve - that is not a bad whack.

Here's the scales: Qualified teachers' pay scales from September 2011 - Career - TES

Sorry, but compared to their contempories from University , yes they are poorly paid. Of the friends i went to university with the one who's a teacher is apart from me the lowest paid. He has ten weeks when he's not teaching, but that doesn't mean he's not working, large chunks of that time is spent preparing lessons and planning. He earns about £30k, considerably less than friends who became accountants and bankers or went into marketing.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
My girlfriend is in work from 8am until 5.30pm, and then has to do marking, lesson planning and whatnot for a couple of hours each evening. She also spends a large chunk of Sundays doing work stuff as well

Pretty much the same for my missus too (assistant head of science dept).
We worked it out roughly that the amount of time spent working evenings/weekends diminishes the "extra" holidays that people on here seem to have a real beef about, to about the same as mine (28 days plus all bank hols etc).

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Add to that it's highly stressful and continuously monitored. Luckily all the tory eatoncunts have private tutors so there's no need for a good state education pension. Well done to those that have picketed.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

12 actually :). As I teacher I can confirm this though, we are not badly paid for the job we do, especially if you pro-rata it after taking off the holiday.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
IMO they are very very selfish going on strike, they earn well above the average, pensions are above most people.

Obviously do not put the children they are supposed to teach very high on their priority and give no thoughts to all the parents that have to take time off work un paid to look after the children. I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for the strikers.

Funny when we want to take a child out of school for a day you are treated like a criminal, because it suits them now, it is fine, it is only one day so whats the problem.

Really makes me angry as you can probably tell.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
IMO they are very very selfish going on strike, they earn well above the average, pensions are above most people.

Obviously do not put the children they are supposed to teach very high on their priority and give no thoughts to all the parents that have to take time off work un paid to look after the children. I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for the strikers.

Funny when we want to take a child out of school for a day you are treated like a criminal, because it suits them now, it is fine, it is only one day so whats the problem.

Really makes me angry as you can probably tell.

You are assuming all teachers both agreed with the strike and went on strike. This is not true.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck

Ditto for my other half. If my girlfriend leaves the school she teaches at at 5:30pm she's lucky. Most evenings she'll mark, lesson plan, write reports, write bursary applications etc until around 11pm. We can't plan to do much on a Sunday as she prepares resources and lesson plans for the week ahead. Everything has to be written and filed for OFSTED.

As for the myth about long holidays, most half term weeks require her to be at the school for 2/3 days and similarly the first & last weeks of the summer holidays require her to be at the school to decant her classroom from the prvious years work & prepare it for her new year arrivals.

Inset days are not 'jollies' but important training days for the latest changes in policy brought in by the government (thanks to [MENTION=61]Theatre of Trees[/MENTION] for clearing that one up!) often resulting in more work for her to do!

OFSTED visited her school in May and the work undertaken by all the teachers during that week was ridiculous - going into the school at 8:30am in the morning and leaving at 10:00pm and still having the usual stuff to do!

She isn't a top earner by any stretch of the imagination, but earns every single penny and in my opinion deserves more.

And before you ask, yes, she is on strike today and I fully understand why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here