Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] 9/11 - BBC1 doc just started

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just finished the other - happy to admit I don’t really know much about politics or history but that was a powerful insight.

Incidentally, I was at school and remember our history teacher just putting the news on for our whole lesson. That evening, I went to my first ever BHA game at Withdean v Southampton (and was hooked - having gone to the Goldstone many times but only as a kid). Still can’t believe the game went ahead though.

Thanks for just making me feel about 93 year old.

As others have said, the fact the documentary features interviews with so many of the senior names in American politics and the White House from that day was unexpected and added to the power of the programme. And the hundreds of photos taken during the day and on Air Force One were fascinating, seeing the facial expressions and body language of the actual moments they were describing.

---

On that day I was 19 and working at Virgin Megastores in Crawley, we had no TV or Radio or internet so the first we heard was customers coming in and talking about it as the afternoon went on. However it was a Tuesday night when the regular campaign/sales were due to changeover before trading on the Wednesday, so we were all working well into the evening. I eventually got out and drove home around 8pm and went to go for a shower, put the TV on in my room and sat on the end of the bed unable to look away. Ended up sitting there for hours watching BBC news coverage well into the night.

2001 was a difficult year anyway as my dad had died at the end of May after a very short battle with cancer. He had worked in the aircraft industry at one point and later had worked in the WTC for a few days whilst away on business. So I have often thought about what he would have made of the events of that day. After he died we had booked a holiday to get away and were due to fly only a couple of days after 9/11, the holiday went ahead and it was very odd being one of the first to board a plane again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
ITV1 - I think it’s a repeat from circa 15 years ago, but their doc has just started.

Just following the lives of ordinary New Yorkers that day, with a Fire crew on routine business that morning.

Immediately gripping, they just showed the real film from street level of plane hit no.1. I realised that I’ve seldom or never given a thought to the poor plane passengers, instead focusing on all the office workers and fire crew lost.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’m watching the Netflix 6 parter one too at mo - they are gripping but also upsetting - and makes me angry - what a mess this was.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Just finished the last episode of the national geographic series which is brilliantly put together and really brings home the chaos of that day.

There is a story of a guy who was in the lobby at the point the plane hit and escaped only to find out shortly after his sister and niece were on the hijacked plane that was had just hit the building.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I find the father of that Rousseau family on holiday from California a little odd.His young kids are visibly and understandably really distressed and confused by events as they unfold and looking for comfort and reassurance. Yet he just films them sobbing?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
ITV1 - I think it’s a repeat from circa 15 years ago, but their doc has just started.

Just following the lives of ordinary New Yorkers that day, with a Fire crew on routine business that morning.

Immediately gripping, they just showed the real film from street level of plane hit no.1. I realised that I’ve seldom or never given a thought to the poor plane passengers, instead focusing on all the office workers and fire crew lost.

I missed this documentary the first time. Genuinely distressing.

The poor woman on the phone who said "I'm going to die aren't I?" and the people throwing themselves from the buildings!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m watching the Netflix 6 parter one too at mo - they are gripping but also upsetting - and makes me angry - what a mess this was.

I feel the same just lately. Islamic loons had been whipped into a huge hatred of America since they helped boot Saddam out of Kuwait ten years earlier. Already terrorist attacks through the 90’s.

Incredible gaffs by the US to allow the budding murderers to learn airliner piloting in Florida and then do what they did unopposed.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
My eldest son knows a lot about 9/11, my young teen doesn't know a lot about it. It's not in the school history curriculum yet. They see clips on news sites on the anniversary etc but unless you were watching or have since seen the events, the magnitude isn't so impactful (this is using my sample size of 4 young teens). They see the plane hitting the tower & don't see everything else. My now young teen saw Grenfell happening before he went to school & when he came home, he asked me if a particular person they kept showing at the window had been rescued. I said yes even though I didn't know.
I feel that the young teens should know more about it, but I'd feel really cruel suggesting to watch one of the BBC documentaries about it that I've just watched, with him. You want them to know, but they can't appreciate the horror without seeing it, but you don't actually want them to see the horror. What do you do to teach them about such a massive piece of history?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think the thing which even today marks the 9/11 footage out as shocking is we actually see the moments people die. That’s something we rarely see even today (other than maybe distant missile / bomb strikes in war zones) despite our saturated news coverage. Things like 7/7 or the Bataclan, or even with harrowing non-terrorist events like train or plane crashes, we only ever see the aftermath of what happened. We didn’t watch the bus on Tavistock Square blow up, we saw a destroyed bus. 9/11 is the only one where you actually see the event unfolding, which gives it the extra level of horror.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I missed this documentary the first time. Genuinely distressing.

The poor woman on the phone who said "I'm going to die aren't I?" and the people throwing themselves from the buildings!!

All very distressing but the sight of people jumping and the sound of them hitting the flat roof above the lobby turned my stomach over.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hell on earth created by 19 lunatics who believed 100% they would be in paradise after their sacrifice.

Instead they were vaporised, the only thing remaining being a memory and history of them being amongst the most evil men to have ever drawn breath on this planet.

If only there were a real hell where they could reside for eternity. They escaped the one they’d just created in this world.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Can't believe the Bush administration were breaking the law with the data collecting they were doing.

They needed a form signing, to carry on, time was running out, so they went to see the Justice minister (after having his pancreas out and nearly dying) in ICU to sign a form to let them keep snooping. He didnt sign it, has it was illegal, and told them to go.

The White House still went ahead with it...

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
The N G series is probably the most moving thing I've ever watched, and believe me I'm old!

Yes, it was an evil act, at a level almost beyond comprehension, which we'll never probably come to terms with. But, the stories of people, civilian and first responders, putting their own lives at risk to help others, and succeeding, was awe inspiring.

9/11 showed what levels, we as humans, can stoop to. Maybe we should concentrate on the levels, as humans we can rise to.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
A group of firefighters from LAFD who spent the last 40 days cycling from LA to New York for the 9/11 anniversary

LAFD r.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here