Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8.9 magnitude earthquake in japan

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Where are people getting the pictures/videos from? Please provide links.

Sounds shocking.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Someone made the point that the tsunami wave is higher than many Pacific islands, which doesn't sound good for places like the Maldives.

Won't they just get additional tourists, who can't go to the Pacific islands??

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
To be fair, there have been huge earthquakes for years, but in Iran, Pakistan & China - and they get much less press than NZ & Japan. Didn't the Iranian one kill 1/4 million people?

You are right there, I think the deciding factor in the death tolls was how deep the quake was as much as the strength, also the way buildings were constructed in the area affected. I think the Iranian quake struck the city of Bam, which was largely constructed with mud bricks, this was probably a deciding factor as they didn't withold much of the effects and just collapsed.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
To be fair, there have been huge earthquakes for years, but in Iran, Pakistan & China - and they get much less press than NZ & Japan. Didn't the Iranian one kill 1/4 million people?

At least let the scale of this be known before you start point scoring mate!

Appreciate non first world countries are less newsworthy but also a lot to do with the regimes in the countries you mention, allowing very limited press access etc, as well as the difficulty in getting immediate TV footage from helicopters in non first world countries (just witnessed tsunami footage (jaw dropping)).

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Point taken, but geography lesson required.

:amex::ascarf:

What I meant there was similar in stature to the Maldives, that is to say where the highest point is often a metre or so above sea level and with no real substance to them. I am of course aware that the Maldives are in the Indian Ocean and unlikely to be affected by this tsunami, unless it can go round corners!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is one hell of an earthquake, my understanding is that the magnitude increases a hundred times per point on the Richter scale, so for example a 7.3 is a hundred times more powerful than a 7.2...maybe there is someone with geo-physical knowledge who can confirm or deny that.

BBC News - How to measure earthquakes

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
0827: The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) in Hawaii widens its tsunami warning to include Hawaii and the rest of the Pacific Ocean. The warning also includes Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and Central and South America.

'king hell.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Cheers Hans, my description was a bit wide of the mark, but correct in the fact that the increase is a curve and not a flat line.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The news is saying this is the strongest earthquake ever recorded.

0937: Japan's meteorological agency now says earthquake had a magnitude of 8.8.

0929: The earthquake which hit Japan on Friday was the country's biggest ever and the seventh largest on record, according to US Geological Survey data, the AFP reports.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
On the link provided by Hans it says the Chilean earthquake of 1960 measured 9.5, which was bigger than the Sumatran quake in 2004 which was 9.2, not sure if the former was the largest ever recorded though.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
0937: Japan's meteorological agency now says earthquake had a magnitude of 8.8.

0929: The earthquake which hit Japan on Friday was the country's biggest ever and the seventh largest on record, according to US Geological Survey data, the AFP reports.

Ah - I must have misunderstood. Largest ever recorded in Japan, by the looks of it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Some of the footage of the tsunami both in the sea and across the land (where it is carrying huge amounts of mud, cars, boats, buildings) is pretty horrific :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here