Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

72 1/2 league games since we last won having gone a goal down

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not brushing it under the carpet, just challenging the accuracy of the stat. Yes, the last time we won a game from a goal down was 72 games ago, HOWEVER, it is absolutely NOT 72 since since we last came back from goal down, its 29.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
SC radio have just mentioned this stat for the second time in this half.

You cannot brush this appalling record under the carpet, like some on this site appear to be doing so.

No. They read out a text of someone who also didn't understand the stat wasnt right, who has clearly just read this thread on nsc...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
but we went ahead from being behind only this week end, so the stat is rather meaningless. before that the stat was that we'd never come back from a goal down.

DBL

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Not brushing it under the carpet, just challenging the accuracy of the stat. Yes, the last time we won a game from a goal down was 72 games ago, HOWEVER, it is absolutely NOT 72 since since we last came back from goal down, its 29.

I have said from the start of this thread, that it is 72 1/2 consecutive league games since we won from being a goal behind. FACT

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I have said from the start of this thread, that it is 72 1/2 consecutive league games since we won from being a goal behind. FACT

Nobody on this thread has said this is incorrect though..

Bognor Seagull

Dec 2, 2011
but we went ahead from being behind only this week end, so the stat is rather meaningless. before that the stat was that we'd never come back from a goal down.

The OP is right. We haven't won a league game since Doncaster 72 1/2 league games ago, when conceding first. The emphasis is on league games.

A poor record.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Nobody on this thread has said this is incorrect though..

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Would be interesting to see a stat of how many teams won their game last weekend after going a goal behind.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The OP is right. We haven't won a league game since Doncaster 72 1/2 league games ago, when conceding first. The emphasis is on league games.

A poor record.

I'm pretty sure someone like Peterborough win after going behind, at least once a month, but where do they finish in the league?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Would be interesting to see a stat of how many teams won their game last weekend after going a goal behind.

A quick look through the top 4 divisions, and I could only find Reading and Sunderland who managed that - both away from home incidentally.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The OP is right.

but it doesnt mean much in itself. how many other clubs have similar records? how many games have we gone behind for it to matter (29 apparently). my point is that a previous observation was that once we go behind we cant back into a game, its over and suggested tactical issues. its also going to prey on players minds and make it more difficult. but we turned that around now. conceding late goals is a different tactical issue to be addressed.

Bognor Seagull

Dec 2, 2011
Great 1-1 draw. It would have been amazing to get a winner, but this thread is going to run for a while. 73 consecutive league games now.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So how many league clubs have gone on a 73 consecutive run without winning having gone behind?

I bet we have one of the worst records in the football league.

You can't hide the problem.

BET it isn't.. So you're saying if we win against Weds 2-0 we'll add another game to the stat.. BRILLIANT

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
So how many league clubs have gone on a 73 consecutive run without winning having gone behind?

I bet we have one of the worst records in the football league.

You can't hide the problem.

Our lack of attacking prowess is at the root of our problems. Hopefully the signing of Ulloa will resolve this.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
FWIW I do agree we need to learn to win more from behind. But some are missing the point of the original stat. Also, haven't we got a great record of not losing when going ahead?! Not surprising the 2 stats go hand in hand..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here