Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

6 into 3 - Who Would You Pick?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Having ten minutes to kill with nothing but a pen and a bit of paper at hand, my thoughts naturally drifted towards the Albion. I think we would all agree that if fit, our starting 11 would consist of...

Kusczak

Bruno Greer EL Abd Bridge

Bridcutt

Vicente Crofts

? ? ?

I reckon there are SIX first team players fighting for those three positions

CMS
Lua Lua
Buckley
Noone
Barnes
NEW Striker

Who would YOU put in those positions and if you like, WHY?

Obviously the 3 who don't make it would probably take up 3 of the 7 bench seats leaving

Dicker
Sparrow
Harley
Agdestien
Dunk
Vincelot
Painter
Ankergren
Brezovan
Elphick
Calderon

to fight it out for just FOUR remaining spots!

Dilema...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
CMS KLL Buckley.

Barnes is the loose cannon.

It's going to be a 'horses for courses' season.
Most of us struggled with the concept of us have a squad, last year.

It's 10 times worse this year, some heads are going to pop.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
CMS, Buckley and Barnes

Lua Lua would then come on with 25 minutes to go once Buckey has worn the defenders out and maybe Nooney for the last 10.

Other 4 subs Brez as we need a keeper, Calde, Vincelot (on the basis he can play just about anywhere) and Agdestien

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
CMS, Buckley and Barnes

I'd like to think we are now solid enough at the back and through the middle, that we can play the width of KLL and Buckley with Noone, keeping the momentum up, for the last 20mins.

But Barnes, oh I don't know! :lol:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Buckley/Lua Lua approx half each
Barnes
New Striker

If circumstances dictate then top two on together. Sometimes last year Buckley and Lua Lua were only stopped by being double marked so if you had both on a team would be really stretched.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd say Buckley was also a definite starter when fit.

I'd give the other two places to Barnes and Lualua.

(although having CMS and Noone as subs seems like madness!)

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I would have Dunk as a starter.

The other 3 I would play with the initial 8 is LuaLua, Barnes & Buckley.

Barnes leading the line keeping their centre backs busy and the wingers stretching the defence wide leaving some space for Crofts and Vicente to run into.

Bench: Brezovan, Calderon, El-Abd, Sparrow, Noone, Mackail-Smith, Hoskins

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Obviously the 3 who don't make it would probably take up 3 of the 7 bench seats leaving

Sorry for the hijack- are we back to 7 on the bench in the Championship? I live abroad and often miss news of changes like this, it's terrific news if correct though!

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
the chap I feel most sorry for is Calde...has always been VERY good for us and looks like the spare right/left back!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'd like to think we are now solid enough at the back and through the middle, that we can play the width of KLL and Buckley with Noone, keeping the momentum up, for the last 20mins.

But Barnes, oh I don't know! :lol:

I see Barnes as being Vicente's minder and scoring 15 goals this year

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I see Barnes as being Vicente's minder and scoring 15 goals this year

Definately! My starting line-up for Swindon is pretty much the Chelsea starters (with El-Abd in for Dunk)... Not sure Bridge will be fit enough yet so Calde will continue to ably deputise.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Dunk has started both the Chelsea and Reading games, its pretty clear Gus like me knows Dunk is ahead of El-Abd.

CMS Buckley and Barnes by the way.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Buckley Barnes LuaLua

Scare the crap out of their full backs, with Barnes and Vicente picking it up through the middle.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Buckley, Barnes and KLL for me.

On a separate note, I'd hope that Dunk was picked ahead of El-Abd, I know he's made a couple of mistakes in friendlies but he seems to be a far more rounded defender than the bull in a china shop that El-Abd tends to be.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A fluid frontline of Vicente, Barnes and Buckley, looks very tasty to me. The rest can provide variety from the bench for now.

I have been impressed by the movement and variety, especially with the support of Crofts from midfield. Bruno contrary to reports we received does have an attacking mindset and has played some wonderful through balls, plus I think Dicker will start, despite vying with CMS to be the boo boys current favourite.

From Gus's current starting XI the ones under pressure are Dunk (needs to cut out the errors to keep El-Abd at bay) and Calderon simply for not being left footed.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Disagree with most on here, but I believe our starting line-up will not contain as many attacking players as everyone is hoping for.
Vicente is not a centre mid. Therefore I believe we will see either Dicker or Sparrow feature a lot more than people are expecting/hoping.

I expect one true winger to start, probably Buckley.
At the moment, Barnes as the official striker as he has a real eye for goal.
Then Vicente to be given a free role, allowing him to pop up where ever he can.

Then when Vicente is subbed expect us to switch to having 2 wingers (Noone or Kaz).

I dont believe Gus would play 2 wingers, 1 striker and Vicente.

But this is just my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here