Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

6,033 - Another Poor Crowd

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Laughingbluebird, Wilts et al will all be laughing because the attandance was down today but the realtity is only about 300 to 400 people did'nt turn up today(if you look at this seasons average.) I know it's all money to the club but considering Withdean is shite, Barnsley bought about 250 and the club can't sell tickets at the ground 6,000 is'nt bad.

The prats from other clubs who come on NSC don't have to put up with what we do week in week out, I'd like to see how many Reading zzzzzz...... would get if they had to play at Withdean, not many I reckon because most of the people who 'support' them only go because of their nice shiny ground, you can spot them a mile off because they've all got nice new scarves and bobbel hats.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Gareth Glover said:
Whether we are 6th or 15th the football has been dire most of the season and anyone who denies that is either:

1. Stupid
2. Mad
3. On Drugs
4. Drink

You do realise we're in the second division? And not the Premiership? What exactly do you expect? Dire football is what the second division is all about. If you're not dire, you win the league by 6 points like we did last time. And don't tell me you're one of those fans who believes we have a devine right to win the title straight away again.

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Anyone unfortunate enough to be found sitting in U block will sympathyse, the view is absolutely abysmal, atmosphere even more non existant then the rest of the ground and it almost always drizzling, i can see exactly why away fans dont fill out the allocations and our "Part time " supporters are put off.

luckily i have a season ticket in the south stand with a far better view!

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Rrrrr the great withdean debate!:lolol:
Christ so many reasons yet again,but simply its mostly season ticket holders and unlike everyother club most would have to sit with strangers and not with mates like it should be although only 2 hours.
Anyone who doesn't go there gets my blessing as its a dire depressing stadium with 1 thin roof and wet weather and £23 grrrrr,so its simple why folk don't go as they pay a bomb and no money goes into the playing side.

Most are waiting for falmer and who can blame them:drink:
Like i said once was enough for me and im sure many more will turn there back on the sess pit.:p

sbee

Jul 8, 2003
Well, it is winter........xmas just over with people strapped.

You're judging crowds by proportions of 6.000, which
when 500 don't turn up from usual, it seems a
massive disaster.

What about teams who regularly pull in 12,000? Are they
experiencing a decrease by a similar
proportion?

Sounds a bit statistical I know.

I also have to admit that our style of play at the
moment isn't pretty to watch

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Christmas and many other things have nout to do with it as it just a dump and exspensive and yeah no funds for players.:lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
LB, I'm one of the apathetic fans that people are talking about. I didn't go much last season but that is because tickets were tricky to get hold of. This season I haven't been at all (and probably won't at all) because of changing priorities in my life and the fact that I'm bored. I've now got two kids, I work hard (some weekends) and money is much tighter for me than it has ever been since about 1994. Consequently I'm very choosey about what I do with my money and time - and sitting in a golfing stand in the pissing rain, with crap facilities, a jaded side (half of whom are going through the motions) and no atmosphere whilst paying £24 for the privilage is not my idea of a good use of my resources. And all this takes up half a day, which is time I wouldn't be with my kids.

Funnily enough, if it was announced that Falmer was getting the go ahead at some point in the next couple of weeks I'd be much keener to get to Withdean, even if we had slumped even futher down the table. At least I'd go expecting an upbeat atmosphere in the crowd and to watch a team who finally might have a spring in their step if they were playing for their jobs - and maybe this would be the case if they knew that in 2 years time they'd be playing in front of 18,000 every week.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
burrish gull said:
Laughing Bluebird, Wilts et al will all be laughing because the attandance was down today but the reality is only about 300 to 400 people did'nt turn up today (if you look at this seasons average.) I know it's all money to the club but considering Withdean is shite, Barnsley bought about 250 and the club can't sell tickets at the ground 6,000 is'nt bad.

The prats from other clubs who come on NSC don't have to put up with what we do week in week out, I'd like to see how many Reading zzzzzz...... would get if they had to play at Withdean, not many I reckon because most of the people who 'support' them only go because of their nice shiny ground, you can spot them a mile off because they've all got nice new scarves and bobbel hats.

Oh dear. Bad night last night, was it?

If you read back over this thread, you'll find that I wasn't laughing about your poor attendance yesterday at all. I was simply curious to find out why you are getting around 500 less per game this season than you were the last time Brighton were in Division Two (or Division Three for that matter).

You seem to believe that crowds of 6,000 aren't bad for a team that is supposed to be chasing promotion to Division One. To a 'prat' like myself who supports another club, I'd have to say that crowds of 6,000 look poor under such circumstances. And it seems there are plenty of Albion fans who agree with that view.

You mentioned Reading's fans, and suggested that most of the people who support the Royals only do so because they've got a 'shiny new ground'.

Reading moved to the Madejski Stadium at the start of the 1998/99 season. In their previous five seasons at Elm Park, Reading's average attendances were as follows:

93/94: 6,932
94/95: 9,350
95/96: 8,918
96/97: 9,160
97/98: 9,676

The novelty of the new stadium saw Reading's average attendance rise to 11,262 for season 98/99, but it dropped back to 8,976 in season 99/00. That figure rather blow your theory out of the water, unless the stadium was less shiny and new in its second season than it is today!

It is generally accepted that Albion's attendances will improve significantly when the club eventually gets to Falmer. So will you be grizzling about about the additional Seagulls fans in their nice new scarves and bobble hats when that day finally arrives? I somehow doubt it!

You were right about one thing though - the prats form other clubs who come on here such as Wilts, Whitley Dennis, Brighton Rock and myself, don't have to put up with what you do week in week out. We watch First Division football, not Second Division rubbish.....

:lolol: :salute: :lolol:

Simster said:
This season I haven't been at all (and probably won't at all) because of changing priorities in my life and the fact that I'm bored. I've now got two kids, I work hard (some weekends) and money is much tighter for me than it has ever been since about 1994. Consequently I'm very choosey about what I do with my money and time - and sitting in a golfing stand in the pissing rain, with crap facilities, a jaded side (half of whom are going through the motions) and no atmosphere whilst paying £24 for the privilage is not my idea of a good use of my resources. And all this takes up half a day, which is time I wouldn't be with my kids.
I don't have a problem with that.

It more or less describes my relationship with the Albion when my kids were young.

And that was 1979 - 1983.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lord Bracknell said:
I don't have a problem with that.

It more or less describes my relationship with the Albion when my kids were young.

And that was 1979 - 1983.

1979-83 Now that's unfortunate. :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Laughing Bluebird said:
You were right about one thing though - the prats form other clubs who come on here such as Wilts, Whitley Dennis, Brighton Rock and myself, don't have to put up with what you do week in week out. We watch First Division football, not Second Division rubbish.....

Twatty, are you reading? :clap: :clap: :lolol: :lolol:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Did Barnsley return their allocation? Their fans only filled half the away stand. Normally tickets are returned and at least half are sold no matter how late they are sent back.

It was a depressing sight seeing half a stand completely empty

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I still don't think we'd have sold them if returned, expectations are too high at present.

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Oh dear. Bad night last night, was it?

If you read back over this thread, you'll find that I wasn't laughing about your poor attendance yesterday at all. I was simply curious to find out why you are getting around 500 less per game this season than you were the last time Brighton were in Division Two (or Division Three for that matter).

You seem to believe that crowds of 6,000 aren't bad for a team that is supposed to be chasing promotion to Division One. To a 'prat' like myself who supports another club, I'd have to say that crowds of 6,000 look poor under such circumstances. And it seems there are plenty of Albion fans who agree with that view.

You mentioned Reading's fans, and suggested that most of the people who support the Royals only do so because they've got a 'shiny new ground'.

Reading moved to the Madejski Stadium at the start of the 1998/99 season. In their previous five seasons at Elm Park, Reading's average attendances were as follows:

93/94: 6,932
94/95: 9,350
95/96: 8,918
96/97: 9,160
97/98: 9,676

The novelty of the new stadium saw Reading's average attendance rise to 11,262 for season 98/99, but it dropped back to 8,976 in season 99/00. That figure rather blow your theory out of the water, unless the stadium was less shiny and new in its second season than it is today!

It is generally accepted that Albion's attendances will improve significantly when the club eventually gets to Falmer. So will you be grizzling about about the additional Seagulls fans in their nice new scarves and bobble hats when that day finally arrives? I somehow doubt it!

You're lucky the English FA let taffs play in division 1, whoops
sorry I forgot Cardiff are bigger than Barcelona.

:salute: :salute:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
burrish gull said:
You're lucky the English FA let taffs play in division 1, whoops
sorry I forgot Cardiff are bigger than Barcelona.

And you're lucky your mum lets you use her computer.....

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Kerry Mayo actually showed some nous when interviewed in the Arsegas on Friday when he was talking about the atmosphere. He said everyone had their minds on the Falmer decision.

Currently, it's a bit like playing - well - Barnsley one week knowing that we will be playing Man Utd in a cup tie the next week. Everyone is now holding their breath for it.

We are all waiting - and now getting impatient for - a decision on Falmer. I believe that if this decision comes very soon as a big fat YES, it will kick-start our season, and there will be a lot more enthusiasm and interest in the club; knowing that we finally have a real future.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The word has got around that the away end where the tickets are returned has a cruddy view and atmosphere, and that this is partly the reason why the visitors return their tickets and this is why the home supporters do not take them up. Not least, the trouble of getting the tickets in the first place. It is OK once or twice, but it is too much bother to do it all the time.

Fans have not got bottomless pockets either. Even Falmer will not be a panacea if the Albion make mistakes. The park 'n ride is a risky enterprise: it is not popular and I know of many regular Goldstone fans who do not go to home matches because of this reason (some of them even went to Priestfield). In fact there are so many, that unless the club get the transport arrangements right for Falmer, they will have trouble. For some people (not me), Falmer is an awkward place to get to.

Note that the Goldstone was not any panacea either, and hindsight says even before the ill fated Barry Lloyd regime, things were already out of hand, regarding transport and crushes. The pens/fences were the final straw.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here