Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

6,033 - Another Poor Crowd

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Why do we always offer away clubs the full 700 allocation?

Surely we should only offer them 350 unless they specifically request more!

Lammy said:
Why do we always offer away clubs the full 700 allocation?

Surely we should only offer them 350 unless they specifically request more!

Football league rules. Away clubs are entitled to a min. 10% I believe. Albion quite often come to an agreement with clubs who are likely to only have a small following.

Turkey said:
DTES is correct. I remember it coming up before. Pay on the Day but not on the Gate. Bracknell mentioned it.

My understanding was there WOULD be pay on the gate at Falmer. Have things changed? Maybe LB could confirm?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
See when the rot set in! Now ask the question why?

ATTENDANCES.jpg

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
perseus said:
To Sneaky George:

The best clubs get the fan addicted to the "adrenalin buzz". Will the fan go to inordinate lengths to get his weekly or fortnightly hit?

Or perhaps, is the adrenalin buzz dissipated by over zealous stewarding, ticket frustrations, not being with your pals cause of the seating arrangements, getting sodding wet (like the Goldstone chicken run) ... some of the fans have come down and they have forgotten how to get high again! (caught up in the atmosphere of it all)

Now it has a large extent got to be this ahead of watching it on the telly or in the pub. This is what Falmer must provide, as well as a good view and the Withdean view is better than the Goldstone for 80% of the time, the 20% is people arriving late and leaving early. This leaving early seems to caused by the Park 'n Ride as they leave early even if the game goes to the wire.

Some good points here Perseus. For the record, I've never had a problem with the stewards at Withdean although I did hear someone say that they were told to sit down for simply shouting their support. If that's true, that of course, is a disgrace and I'd like to know what the club have to say on the matter.

Yes the ticketing arrangements are frustrating but those were agreed under the lease of Withdean weren't they? Difficult to see what the club can do about it now.

I'm totally with you on pay-on-the-day at Falmer: that is a must. As for transport, in an ideal world there would be parking for thousands but that's simply not going to happen at Falmer. At least there is a train station ( unlike Reading) and yes, improvements will have to be made to any park and ride schemes. But let's get the bloody thing built first and see where we go from there. The transport at Bolton's Reebok stadium was difficult for the first few seasons but they've sorted it now.

We can debate the right and wrongs of the site all day long but the fact of the matter is that we may be only days/weeks away from getting the go-ahead for a proper football stadium. ( Fingers x'd) Yes, there will be problems, not least, in how the club are going to finance the project in the first place. So yes, these are important questions and should be addressed but I'm confident the board will listen. They better had.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Christ why do people keep making up many excuses as we don't need them because its simply a crap ground with high prices and no roof etc.

The fans haven't turned there back on the club they just hate the withdean thats all there is to it and crowds at falmer will be big,so to compare is stupid and people need to realise that many footer supporters like to watch in reasonable comfort and sit with who they want in which doesn't happen at the withdean.

Supporters are pushed to the limit with money of late and thats why this clubs hanging in there because the hardcore are paying the stupid prices to keep the club sort of afloat.:rolleyes:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not so much excuses, but to try and get the faults at Withdean sorted out and avoid making the same mistakes at Falmer.

So the Albion may have agreed to NOT have pay on the gate at Falmer to avoid congestion at the turnstiles? It would be worse at the railway stations and I cannot see on past performance the club sorting out an alternative. So it is in effect a non-goer unless it can be sorted out.

Is this cast in legal stones or is just a penalty clause because of Brighton Council.

:angry:

What about the public transport premium on the ticket prices. Is this going to be abolished?

Last edited:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Im sure they will have a good shuttle service to falmer:)
You can't compare faults at the withdean to falmer as falmer is another planet for many many reasons.:clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Zeitgeist said:
My understanding was there WOULD be pay on the gate at Falmer. Have things changed? Maybe LB could confirm?

See my post above. It has never been said that it would be pay on the gate but tickets would be available on the day at the stations.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Looks like I unwittingly opened a right old can of worms here!

Very interesting stuff though.

All I can say from an outsider's perspective is that it appears the club must be doing something wrong somewhere along the line if Albion are attracting smaller crowds now than they were three seasons ago in Division Three.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If you don't mind you saying this (and even if you do), is a grossly shitty thing to include. It is daft and I don't why they included it. (But if it was £1 it might be OK. What happens if the train companies fall out with the Albion over the cost: do we have to pay whatever the companies ask? or would this be an unfair contractual practice and the whole thing is unworkable?)

I am dismayed. Motorists will pay double once for the parking? and the second time for the public transport, (University car parks) or they will have to put up with the park 'n ride.

The bus and train companies are getting the dosh upfront and there is so incentive to improve their currently poor service. The current public transport service is far short of good enough and I cannot see it improving.

I would like to choose to get the train in because it is a good service.

It will only effect me a little bit, if we go in large groups by van or car, but the absence of pay on the day will put the kybosh on this any way. In small groups and on my own I would choose to go by train anyway as I can't stand traffic jams, and I don't like buses either.

Ordering tickets by telephone or going in to collect them with an extra journey is not practical for every game. I can only see the the strange and unique ticketing arrangements having such a profound and detrimental effect on attendances that it must cast a great doubt over finances?

Just how much the attendance will be reduced it is hard to say without research. I would not be surprised if a figure of 30% down. It really depends how the younger fan can adapt: the older fan will just give up (like they have already for Withdean).

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I expect in the unlikely event that they rebuild the West Pier, that people will not be allowed on unless they have rung up in advance to obtain a ticket sent in the post, limited to a certain number and they also have to produce a bus ticket to be allowed on. Season ticket holders accepted.

If this sounds ridiculous, so is getting fooled into unnecessary business handicaps at the Public Inquiry. Lets hope the legal people might know something I don't.

Better ring up the Dundee Chairman to check this out.

Last edited:

When Falmer opens, it WILL be possible to buy tickets on the day. But not at the ground. The Club has negotiated an arrangement with South Central trains to sell match tickets at railway stations, in conjunction with train tickets to Falmer. There will also be improved arrangements for buying tickets in advance through the Club's ticket office or the website.

The reason for this is nothing to do with avoiding congestion at the turnstiles. It's to ensure that the Stadium Travel Plan works.

A sustainable Travel Plan is an essential requirement for planning permission to be obtained. Parking near the stadium will be very restricted. No on-street parking anywhere within walking distance. Limited parking on the Sussex University campus for people who have booked it in advance, paid an extra charge and arrive in vehicles with multiple occupancy.

The ticketing arrangements will ensure that everyone who attends a match at Falmer will have bought a ticket before travelling there. Ticket prices will continue to include a premium for travel - by train, bus or park & ride. In addition to the existing park & ride sites, there'll be a new site at Brighton Racecourse - handy for people travelling along the A259 from Newhaven, Peacehaven or Rottingdean.

All this was in the evidence presented by the Club to the Public Inquiry - but most of it was also in the Travel Plan that the City Council considered when they gave planning permission before the application was called in by John Prescott.

Without the Travel Plan, we would not get planning permission.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If they can use the railway computers to buy tickets, this may be the answer. Not only that it could be an IMPROVEMENT !

How could it be an improvement?

It would be an improvement if you go into the railway station ticket office and buy a ticket a few days in advance. It might be able to buy a ticket for a concert at the same time. The drag at the moment is going into Brighton to get a ticket (if you don't trust the post).

How far off is such a plan? Would it work for all railway stations? Or just the important ones?

It could be a revelation? But it could be a damp squid? We will wait and see.

Last edited:

Imaginative use of new technology is the answer.

AC Siena are sponsored by a local bank, Monte dei Paschi di Siena (the world's oldest bank, btw). They sell match tickets at every branch of the bank.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Safeway said:
Someone summed it up pretty well on the phone-in this evening. People are bored and fed up, simple as that. Bored and fed up of Withdean, bored and fed up of the prices and conditions, bored and fed up of the football on offer.

I'm what Ian Hart would describe as a 'stuck on' Albion fan, like many on here, but today I just couldn't be arsed. It's a shame but that's the truth. I'm fed up of paying £22 to sit in a shit tip, watching a load of crap. Don't get me wrong, the next away match I'll be there, and the next away day after that, but when it comes to home games the interest isn't there.

Anyone who wants to suggest I'm anything like a fair weather fan can f*** off right now. I was at The Goldstone, at Gillingham, and two seasons ago travelled to Swansea on a freezing October night in the first round of the LDV.

This season's attendances have underlined yet again why Falmer is SO important. Players and managers get fed up of it, and so do the paying public.

Safeway, who will also be watching the Plymouth match in a pub and will be listening to most of the remaining homes games on SCR (unless Bozza sends him his unwanted season ticket).

I agree with nearly all that, and feel pretty much the same. EXCEPT that, when it comes to 3pm on a home Saturday, I couldn't even contemplate being anywhere else. I will always be there. Other than holidays, I have never intentionally missed a home match, and can't envisage ever doing so.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Due to leaves on the line and the railway computer breaking down the crowd to day at Falmer will be 5,339.

There is some element of truth that such things could happen. Before Easter one time in the late sixties, it was announced on the TV that the Albion game was postponed. Never had we even heard of such occurrence before at the Goldstone so despite our misgivings because of the snow on the ground we made our way down to the station only to be told by the ticket collector on the station that the match was off. It was cold and we did not take much persuading.

It turned out that the game was on and the television and the railway porter had made a mistake as the rumour spread. The crowd was under 6,000, something completely unheard of at the time.

On the following home game on Easter Monday, Reading were the visitors and the crowd was over 32,000.

Albion's League season was similar to this season.

So what happens when the trains aren't running to Falmer? No holiday matches?

Last edited:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Looks like I unwittingly opened a right old can of worms here!

Very interesting stuff though.

All I can say from an outsider's perspective is that it appears the club must be doing something wrong somewhere along the line if Albion are attracting smaller crowds now than they were three seasons ago in Division Three.
Ticket prices just keep rising every season and no player funds and it goes on and on and on and on and on.:wave: :drink:

Nobby Lawton

Jan 6, 2004
This no pay on the day will be a problem

How many will not turn up at Falmer because of it??

Have the club done their homework?

Is John Prescott Dead?

See you on Saturday

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Despite what the so called experts say The Seagulls have a hard core support of between 5 - 6000 who wil come irresopective of were when or how the team is playing.

If you see the attendances at the end of the Goldstone era you will see that they were about 6,000 per week.

How many will we get when we do eventually get to Falmer ?

8,000 if we are not challenging for promotion at the top whack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here