Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

52K a year for Tube driver's.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry,just so f***ing angry,can't believe that these unskilled idiots are gonna be on 60 odd grand a year,university students work their bloody nuts off for what?
It's not right,these sort of people that do these jobs should not be so well rewarded,it's a joke.

Apology accepted. We'll have to beg to differ as I think, all things considered, they get fair pay for their job. I'm for bringing the terms and conditions of other sectors up, not beating higher ones down.

And I agree with you about uni students, and taking it further all young people. The current climate must be a horrible and demoralising time to attempt your first steps in the working world.

We'll have to beg to differ as I think, all things considered, they get fair pay for their job. I'm for bringing the terms and conditions of other sectors up, not beating higher ones down.
You really aren't living in the real world, are you. Tube drivers don't have the hassle of overtaking and negotiating round-a-bouts etc. whilst many bus drivers also have to deal with fares and are at risk of attack. So, their salaries must be at least £100,000 if you are taking the tube drivers' salary as the standard. So, where do we find the money for the huge salaries that policemen and doctors etc.would therefore command?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It's only right that they increase, in order to maintain the gap between their salaries and the well deserved £133k package for Bob Crow!!!

Mind the Gap
Well, RMT members vote on that so you'd have to assume they're happy with his salary, if that is it (or not), and you can see why, he's doing a good job getting them a decent deal, that's what they pay him for.

I'd be interested to know how they work tea/lunch breaks though.
Do they really need one? Looks like they can easily take refreshment on the job.
Tube-driver-007.jpg

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Anorak time here - I think the Victoria Line (and possibly the Jubilee) are the only ones that could be described as "automatic".

This I think...
They have to stop the train in exactly the right place on other lines otherwise the doors wont open, as the train is the exact length of the platform.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The government will ensure they get whatever they want. One of the main indicators of a governments efficiancy is the transport system. If they are striking every other week the government looks inept. It's that simple. For what it's worth, 50k for that job is f***ing ridiculous.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
You really aren't living in the real world, are you. Tube drivers don't have the hassle of overtaking and negotiating round-a-bouts etc. whilst many bus drivers also have to deal with fares and are at risk of attack. So, their salaries must be at least £100,000 if you are taking the tube drivers' salary as the standard. So, where do we find the money for the huge salaries that policemen and doctors etc.would therefore command?

are there any health issues though (apart from the trauma from 41 jumpers a year). I read once catching the northern line everday has a similar impact to your lungs as smoking 20 a day so imagine working down there all day has got to be a consideration.

The government will ensure they get whatever they want. One of the main indicators of a governments efficiancy is the transport system. If they are striking every other week the government looks inept. It's that simple. For what it's worth, 50k for that job is f***ing ridiculous.

Here,here 60 odd grand for these sort of people is a national disgrace!A friend of my aunty once read about a tube driver apparently he was very very common.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Tube Drivers , the only people able to afford the rises in the cost of living whilst working for a living.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I was informed many years ago that on a number of lines it was only necessary to man trains for safety should there be a breakdown,£50,000 is an unbelievable sum and the union is in a position of strenght because of the fear that The Olympics will be affected.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Why the fee is outrageous they have many many health risks down there also, ant a nice job really, there lungs get shot to pot.

Also they hold all the strings with the olympics round the corner

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This post isnt aimed at anyone in particular.
To those that think some jobs (ie this one) are overpaid. What do you want? A race to the bottom where everyone is paid less because they are always looking at someone else saying they shouldnt be getting that sort of money. So if en employee is paid 50k and then they get rid of them all and pay someone new 25k, what then? Where does that extra 25k go? Certainly not in the pockets of those moaning about how so and so is over paid. I do agree that Execs and bosses of some companies make disgusting salaries, but the more employees that are on decent money the better. For everyones future, that you can always better yourself and your life. The more and more jobs that disappear to low wages the worse off we all are.

Amazing that a debate about Tube drivers generates such interest whilst some city workers and senior bankers get obscene amounts of money for doing what exactly? At least the drivers are providing an important public service.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Job description

Well, compared to a National Expess coach driver at £10.88 per hour, a tube driver is paid a crazy amount of money. At least a coach driver has to steer a vehicle and negotiate traffic which is probably bloody stressful day in day out, compared a tube driver where much of the "work" is automated.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The fact that the air down there is FULL of asbestos must be a bit of a negative.

Do you have a reference for the scientific studies that proved this, or is it another NSC FACT.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Good luck to em I say. You takes your choices in life. If you earn less than this amount you might feel jealous and/or have an overinflated opinion of your worth. If you earn more you probably don't care less because there's nothing to be jealous of. And as others have said, jealousy is an ugly trait (and often the root of all evil)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here