Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 50 years ago today: Albion 2 Wolves 3 (FLC 3rd Round)

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Was standing down the front of the North Stand just behind the goal i think Wolves were kicking towards the North Stand second half ,seem to remember a goal that was a lob over our GK towards the end of the game its all a bit hazy ,if anyone can remember if Wolves were kicking towards North Stand just to confirm ? .I remember maybe just leaving before the end to get the Football Special buses parked up the hill towards The Drive because we were worried about not getting on one being a large crowd but i do remember having really low feeling when you lose not for the first time maybe we were leading right up until the last 10 min or so .

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Great memories. The League Cup used to mean something in those days, so to get that far and draw top opposition under floodlights in front of a huge crowd was really exciting for a 12 year old.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Luckily it was 2 years before I started at HGSB. And I don't remember ever attending prize giving, probably because I never won a prize :(

I started there in 69 and didn't even know there was a 'prizegiving'. Ned Land - prize for being here, here and particularly here; Poxy Baxter for going down to the headmaster's office; Looby Jones for being a miserable ****? ??? :lolol:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
All pupils were to attend prize giving regardless of whether they won a prize.

Only prize I ever won was Junior Woodwork prize some four years earlier.

I don't remember it being a clash with anything at HCGSB. I invented a cold to get out of the swimming sports so I could go to the Birmingham friendly at the end of the 71-72 season though.

My memories of the night were the toilet rolls thrown for both Albion goals. The net at the North Stand end was positively festooned both times.

And Wolves played centre-half Dave Woodfield at number nine instead of Derek Dougan but he scored a very good centre-forward's goal.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Albion 2, Wolves 3 in the FAC 3rd Round in 79 (40 years ago as opposed to 50) was also a great game!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village

Brings back memories... Of driving over from Canterbury after bunking off work early, that absolutely electric North Stand atmosphere, sardined in alongside my dad; 90 minutes of sheer excitement, goals galore, and all those Albion heroes. Kit Napier (RIP), Alex Dawson, and of course Allan Gilliver - who, decades later, would inspire my choice of username on a then-unimaginable communication system that would enable Albion fans across the world to interact through linking mobile telephones, satellites and computers. Way beyond the wildest imaginings of old Joe Allen and his physics curriculum at Hove Grammar.

Earlier that year we had of course just witnessed a moon-landing that utilised computing power roughly matching that in a single 21st century mobile phone. Imagine... Back then of course, the height of sophisticated interaction with all things Albion was the Seagull Line, on 8049. (the number for Albion information, every day, 24 hours a day).

Kids today? Don't know they're born.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
One of the best nights ever , North Stand goal covered in bog roll , the noise etc etc just brilliant .

Attachments

• img676.jpg
    img676.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 56
  • img675.jpg
    img675.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 58
  • img674.jpg
    img674.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 55
  • img673.jpg
    img673.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 58
  • img670.jpg
    img670.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 54
  • img671.jpg
    img671.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Brings back memories... Of driving over from Canterbury after bunking off work early, that absolutely electric North Stand atmosphere, sardined in alongside my dad; 90 minutes of sheer excitement, goals galore, and all those Albion heroes. Kit Napier (RIP), Alex Dawson, and of course Allan Gilliver - who, decades later, would inspire my choice of username on a then-unimaginable communication system that would enable Albion fans across the world to interact through linking mobile telephones, satellites and computers. Way beyond the wildest imaginings of old Joe Allen and his physics curriculum at Hove Grammar.

Earlier that year we had of course just witnessed a moon-landing that utilised computing power roughly matching that in a single 21st century mobile phone. Imagine... Back then of course, the height of sophisticated interaction with all things Albion was the Seagull Line, on 8049. (the number for Albion information, every day, 24 hours a day).

Kids today? Don't know they're born.

Almost everything Joe Allen said confused me. I used to go home and read the textbook after his lessons so that I could make some sense (but not much) out of what he'd said. .

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Was standing down the front of the North Stand just behind the goal i think Wolves were kicking towards the North Stand second half ,seem to remember a goal that was a lob over our GK towards the end of the game its all a bit hazy ,if anyone can remember if Wolves were kicking towards North Stand just to confirm ? .I remember maybe just leaving before the end to get the Football Special buses parked up the hill towards The Drive because we were worried about not getting on one being a large crowd but i do remember having really low feeling when you lose not for the first time maybe we were leading right up until the last 10 min or so .

Yes we kicked towards the North Stand in the first half, going in 2-1 up at half-time. Wolves then scored two at that end after the break.

Real disappointment at the end for me too...and yes the Football Special buses parked along Old Shoreham Road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here