Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

50 Greatest Comedy Films

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Beach Hut said:
Spinal Tap - never really rated this as that funny but each to their own

Unbelievable comment! It deserves to be in the top ten on the basis of their camp Jack The Ripper song alone: "Saucy Jack you're a naughty one..."

:lolol:

let alone Lick My Love Pump, The Black Album, being billed below the puppet show, the manager's doubletake to the comment "money talks, bullshit walks", Stone Henge, the Thamesmen, the rider food, the amp going up to eleven, Arnie Fuffkin (sp) head of Polymer Records, the whole Yoko Ono thing, trying to find their way onto the stage, the cucumber...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
B000066C6Z.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Jul 20, 2003
Gwylan said:
Like all these lists, they're ridiculously loaded in favour of recent films: how many films on the list are more than 20 years old? Seven? Eight? I can't be bothered to count but it's not many.

The trouble with such lists is that they're not made up by the general public but by people with access to the Internet and time to fill in such surveys.

A list that has only one Marx Brothers, no Chaplin, Keaton, Laurel and Hardy or WC Fields on it is a very strange list. And one that doesn't include Bringing up Baby (the film that I imagine would vie with Some Like it Hot for number one if the list was drawn up by film critics) is downright bizarre.

And what is the appeal of Austin Powers, a one-joke movie? And not a funny one at that.

NOW i LIKE THE mARX bROS, A LOT

but if you were put on the spot to put a flim on that would make people laugh would you really put on Chaplain (even if he is twiddling his cane and walking funny), or Laurel anr Hardy ( even if they are moving a piano with hilarious consequences) or Buster Keaton (even if he is oblivious to the barn gable end falling in a contrived manner around hium)

innovative as these may have been they are critics/ purosts darlings and horribly dated ( I note you didn't flag up Harold Lloyd, so you OBVIOUSLY know NOTHING)

and blah der de blah balah blah

Mayo

McGhee

Ghee

Bhuna Bhajee

chin chin

and

GOODNIGHT

PS

bringng up baby is not a patch on Some Like it Hot

and Zoolander is very f***ing funny

(but only if you are are someone who has come to terms with having to carry the burden of being really super good looking)

and I think 1066seagull is getting a rough time for know good reason

bless him and more power to his elbow, the dickweed that he is

I'm off to collapse in a corner

I'll check my spelling later

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
pevenseagull said:
NOW i LIKE THE mARX bROS, A LOT

but if you were put on the spot to put a flim on that would make people laugh would you really put on Chaplain (even if he is twiddling his cane and walking funny), or Laurel anr Hardy ( even if they are moving a piano with hilarious consequences) or Buster Keaton (even if he is oblivious to the barn gable end falling in a contrived manner around hium)

innovative as these may have been they are critics/ purosts darlings and horribly dated ( I note you didn't flag up Harold Lloyd, so you OBVIOUSLY know NOTHING)

Personally speaking, I don't find Chaplin, Keaton or Lloyd funny but there are plenty of people who do. I was just pointing out that a list of the funniest films of all time is a bit disjointed if it concentrates on the last 20 years.

I'd concede that Chaplin looks mildly amusing nowadays, as with most of the silent stars.

The Marx Brothers though, are 'different gravy' (ahem). Sharp, smart, slapstick, sarcastic, and just daft - and they still rate.

Bringin up Baby though?? Cute, in its' own archive romantic way - but barely a comedy classic standing the test of time surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here