Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5:20 on Saturday we could be 15th in the table!!!!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It would do, if we weren't occasionally shown the riches of the best football ever seen played by the Albion.

Only to have it all taken away, in the next game, by wholesale changes and a desire to play everyone as a holding midfielder.

We should be AT MINIMUM fifth. So this!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why should we be minimum fifth?
With the team we have and the ability they have shown (on occasion), we shouldn't be mid table.

Don't you agree?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
10 Brighton 34pts, 8GD
14 Wolves 31pts, -2GD
15 Huddersfield 31pts, -7GD

Saturday
Middlesbrough v Blackpool (1pt/-1goals)
Charlton v Derby (1pt/-8goals)
Burnley (1pt/-9goals) v Leicester
Wolves (3pts/-10goals) v Ipswich
Huddersfield (3pts/-15goals) v Sheffield Wednesday

Realistic worst case scenario now 13th place (on goal difference), and that requires Blackpool, Derby, and Burnley all winning (draws will bring them level on pts but not GD).

I'm no good at predictions, but:
-Boro should be too much for Blackpool
-Charlton are on the back of 3 defeats
-Leicester are 5th so should be too much, but Burnley are at home, but a win isn't too much for them to ask for (leicester's home record is a big factor in them placing so high at the moment).
-Wolves and huddersfield would require far too unusual scorelines to realistically consider.

13th is the worst case, with my poor skills of predictions, I'd say we'll be 11th (I think Blackpool draw, Derby draw, Burnley win).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why should / does that determine league position?

Doesn't the parachute payments more than cancel out any extra income we get from having higher gates than them.
(i posted figures on another thread to demonstrate this)

Oh I agree. Parachute payments make the competition very skewed, particularly as for some twisted reasoning they will fall outside of Financial Fair Play.

The point I was making was that our attendances ( ~ 46,000 per season more than anyone else ) should give us a 1million+ advantage over even the 2nd placed team attendancewise.

Last edited:

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
TB has entrusted Gus with the riches of the income generated by the vast crowds and mega corporate lounge income, and yet the likes of Cardiff, Boro, Palace (on buttons), and Hull are streets ahead in points and goals scored.

Cardiff have an interesting policy. They see a great winger at a rival, and buy him (Noone).

The next transfer window and subsequent playing results, will reveal if Gus really has got the managerial talent of Malkay, Rodgers, Bruce, Holloway, and Mowbray. Time for deeds and points, not sound bites.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
With the team we have and the ability they have shown (on occasion), we shouldn't be mid table.

Don't you agree?

Why? We are where we are in the table because of what our players have done, and what opponents have done. While we can say "If our players played as well as they can" we then have to assume that every the team has played as well as they can and it's only us not living up to our potential.

We can play better, but so can our opponents. If every team played as well as they could, consistently, there would probably be a lot more draws, but I don't think I'd be confident placing us higher. Cardiff, Hull, Leicester, Boro, Watford, Leeds, Blackpool, Wolves, Bolton, Birmingham, Blackburn, playing as well as they can would all be formidable opponents, and despite the rivalry, palace probably as well.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
With the squad we have we should be fifth at minimum. So far its not good enough. Not good enough at all.

Like i say if we had a forward line of trolley and george santos marshalling the defence i would be cock a hoop to be bottom within 3 points.

But NOT with the players we have at our disposal. We have a 2.5MILLION STRIKER. A player BETTER than Zaha. An international goalkeeper, an international left back plus loads of others.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why? We are where we are in the table because of what our players have done, and what opponents have done. While we can say "If our players played as well as they can" we then have to assume that every the team has played as well as they can and it's only us not living up to our potential.

We can play better, but so can our opponents. If every team played as well as they could, consistently, there would probably be a lot more draws, but I don't think I'd be confident placing us higher. Cardiff, Hull, Leicester, Boro, Watford, Leeds, Blackpool, Wolves, Bolton, Birmingham, Blackburn, playing as well as they can would all be formidable opponents, and despite the rivalry, palace probably as well.
Oh yes we are where we are because of our ability, or lack of, on the pitch.

The only away game I've been to is Millwall, added to all the home matches, which means I'm yet to see us out played.
Having Leeds, Forest and Millwall directly above us, does make me think we shouldn't be where we are.

The fact that we are, doesn't seem 'right'.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
He wasn't a great winger with us.

Beg to differ. In an inherently inconsistent position, he was a class act; and when they tried to
poach him the first time 75% of nsc'ers wanted him to stay. Second time there was no to time to think it about, as Malky Mackay took positive action to get the player in, knowing full well his class.

Will soon be gracing the PL, due to Cardiff's single minded vision on what players to acquire and hunger for the PL.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With the squad we have we should be fifth at minimum. So far its not good enough. Not good enough at all.

Like i say if we had a forward line of trolley and george santos marshalling the defence i would be cock a hoop to be bottom within 3 points.

But NOT with the players we have at our disposal. We have a 2.5MILLION STRIKER. A player BETTER than Zaha. An international goalkeeper, an international left back plus loads of others.

Quite. Our current high(ish) league place is due to the failings of others. A bit like Southampton gave us a five month start when we beat them - just - into the Championship. When they finally got their act together, they finished like an express train, whereas we spluttered across the finishing line in a reasonably priced car. One word. Trabant.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Beg to differ. In an inherently inconsistent position, he was a class act; and when they tried to
poach him the first time 75% of nsc'ers wanted him to stay. Second time there was no to time to think about as Malky Mackay took the positive action to get the player in, knowing full well his class.

Will soon be gracing the PL, due to Cardiff's single minded vision on what players to acquire and hunger for the PL.
We'll agree to differ, as my recollection of Noone, Falmer & NSC, was that of a player who:-

- Didn't cross.
- Came in from the wing running into blind allies.
- Rarely looked up before crossing.
- Regularly hit 'row z'.
- Had an appalling shot.
- But was a great laugh and lovely bloke.

- edit and was easily our 3rd choice winger, so a million+ was a steel.

I certainly didn't see Noone being the player he is now.
Which makes me wonder who else could go on to be better than they are now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here