Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

43m fake £1 coins in circulation. Should we revert to notes?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If it's good enough for the Americans......

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I haven't had a Manx plasticy one given to me for years and years, they're all paper again now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They have plasticy ones in the Isle of Man which last!
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/how-to-spot-a-fake-£1-coin.html
From that article:

"Counterfeit £1 coins circulating in Britain right now are worth a whopping £43 million."
"A fake £1 coin in your wallet is not only absolutely worthless but it’s also illegal to pass it onto anyone else."

Make your mind up.

"If you do find a counterfeit coin, make sure you hand it in to your local police station so that it can be taken out of circulation."
So someone has printed these to make a profit, and the person paying for that profit should be me. No thanks. And if I really wanted to take it out of circulation, I could just put it in the bin.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"A fake £1 coin in your wallet is not only absolutely worthless but it’s also illegal to pass it onto anyone else

*not if you're unaware its a fake when giving change to an Eastern European :lolol:

From that article:

"Counterfeit £1 coins circulating in Britain right now are worth a whopping £43 million."
"A fake £1 coin in your wallet is not only absolutely worthless but it’s also illegal to pass it onto anyone else."

Make your mind up.

"If you do find a counterfeit coin, make sure you hand it in to your local police station so that it can be taken out of circulation."
So someone has printed these to make a profit, and the person paying for that profit should be me. No thanks. And if I really wanted to take it out of circulation, I could just put it in the bin.
That's a great spot, I didn't notice the contradiction, but I should have done! I did notice you state that coins are printed, not minted; maybe they actually were, what with the advent of the '3D printer'.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I bloody wona fake coin at poker last night... will fob it off on someone....

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Get rid of the crap paper money and coins and get back to silver and gold. The only real currency !

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

Surely too, that means you lose out on a pound?!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I bloody wona fake coin at poker last night... will fob it off on someone....
You have just hit the nail on the head, if it's fake just pass it on the the next person no one knows any better.

In my small village shop and post Office I get handed over all sorts of money and I just pass it on to the next customer.

One reason that there are so many £1 coins in circulation is because the banks won't call off £5 notes from the mint as they don't pay them out at the cash points.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
On the day the B of E announced they are increasing QE by a further £50 BILLION, a few fake coins are an irrelevance.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On the day the B of E announced they are increasing QE by a further £50 BILLION, a few fake coins are an irrelevance.

what i was thinking. im also curious when these un-fakable notes were invented and what countries use them...

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
what i was thinking. im also curious when these un-fakable notes were invented and what countries use them...

Australia all there money is in like a plastic wrap, Not due to counterfeiting its because the goverment was concerned that to many people went in the Sea with there cash in there pocket.

*may not strictly be true but my mate an Aussie told me

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, if you want to put a couple of million of them my way.............................................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here