Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

43m fake £1 coins in circulation. Should we revert to notes?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I've got a few fake euros in the kitchen cupboard. It's dead easy to pull of the foil and eat the chockie inside.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Would it be easy to live off fake pound coins? I think I'd nip up to London and go into nearly every pub and get them changed into notes after 'winning' on the fruit machine if I got hold of a few thousand of them. With CCTV these days that could be a bit dodgy though or just mix them up with spare change.

Edit: I realise handling and passing over counterfeit money is illegal. :)

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I did notice you state that coins are printed, not minted
Ah yes, but the reason I say printed, not minted, is because I don't know what I'm talking about.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Australia all there money is in like a plastic wrap, Not due to counterfeiting its because the goverment was concerned that to many people went in the Sea with there cash in there pocket.

*may not strictly be true but my mate an Aussie told me

Certianly true. Aussie banknotes are all plastic, and all the better for it. You can stick 'em in the pocket of your boardies and swim or surf to your heart's content and they'll come out good as new. They're practically indestructible. You can't even fold them. In a nuclear war, only two things would survive; cockroaches and Aussie banknotes.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Certianly true. Aussie banknotes are all plastic, and all the better for it. You can stick 'em in the pocket of your boardies and swim or surf to your heart's content and they'll come out good as new. They're practically indestructible. You can't even fold them. In a nuclear war, only two things would survive; cockroaches and Aussie banknotes.

I'm going to add Irish Rail tickets to that. You *can* cut an IE ticket, but they won't tear, fold easily, etc. They look and feel like paper so I've no idea what the feck they make them out of.

I'd imagine £1 notes would be forged even more often, they get so worn nobody would ever notice if they were fake and it'd be rare to check them due to the low value.

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
I got a fake £20 given to me it was a a really good one i soon passed it on i can't afford to take a hit like that

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Ah! So,if you see a lot of cockroaches spending Aussie money.....you know there's been a nuclear war....good thinking Batman...

We haven't had the plastic £1 notes for a decade or more. I cannot recall the last time I saw one.

Apparantly they were not good for the economy was they didn't deteriorate. They were great if you left them in your pockets and wiife ran them through the washing machine.

I'm surprised at this because I know that a banknote costs about 18p to produce but only lasts a few months. I'm not sure notes can be recycled either, due to that metal strip.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm surprised at this because I know that a banknote costs about 18p to produce but only lasts a few months. I'm not sure notes can be recycled either, due to that metal strip.

The issuing bank usually wants to make damn sure they've been destroyed so any form of recycling is out. Shredding then incineration is the usual.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here