Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

40th Anniversay of the moon landings

Has man ever set foot on the surface of the MOON?

• Yes

Votes: 57 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 27.8%

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It'd still be extremely expensive, and there's no real reason for it. They only did in the first place because of the cold war.

They were scared of the Russians....so they went and hid on the moon.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And what about the flag, BILLOWING in the "wind" ?

(ok, I guess they had a wire in it. But I just wanted to use the word BILLOWING).

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I was reading the other day about NASA's big plans, they say the reason why there hasn't been another Moon landing is due to them concentrating on building the ISS, after they have completed this project they will go back to the Moon (around 2018), they will then build a base there and attempt a mission to Mars, using the Moonbase to launch from.

Personally, I don't think a mission to Mars will happen in this century.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It may have driven it, but you do humanity a great disservice by dismissing it as simply and extension of the arms race.

If you could go to the moon, would you?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
01e72310.jpg

Picture, above, shows astroNOT John Young from the alleged Apollo 16 mission on Moon. In the surface sand, moist ash, or whatever it was they used, there are other footprints. The footprints, (arrowed), have been made by pointed "winkle picker shoes", (quite common back in the 1960's), or possibly lady's stiletto shoes.

The footprints therefore either belong to the photographer who accidently walked across the fake "Moonset", or Mr. Young took his Mrs. with him to the Moon.

The camera on the buggy was controlled from the earth, they had only what the astronauts where saying to go by.

They struggle to pull this off now with the Mars lander buggy, I just find it hard to believe they pulled it off so perfectly in 1969. Lets be honest, nothing made in 1969 that had hydrolic parts, telecommunications or computing power was much cop. Let alone a device sent to work remotely on the MOON.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It may have driven it, but you do humanity a great disservice by dismissing it as simply and extension of the arms race.

If you could go to the moon, would you?
I see your point, but there is nothing tangible to be gained by going there. After the first time.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They struggle to pull this off now with the Mars lander buggy, I just find it hard to believe they pulled it off so perfectly in 1969. Lets be honest, nothing made in 1969 that had hydrolic parts, telecommunications or computing power was much cop. Let alone a device sent to work remotely on the MOON.

Mars is a lot further away. It takes 2.5 seconds for a radio signal to reach the earth from the moon. The signal was then bounced to the USA from Australia. There was a five second delay in all.

It's actually possible to bounce a radio signal from earth up the moon and back down again if you have the right equipment.

You can also bounce signals of the lower part of the earths atmosphere, to enable them to travel around the surface of the earth.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...

Concorde first flew in 1969, I suppose that was another pile of junk that couldn't possibly work.

The Saturn 5 rocket was 363ft tall and weighed about 300 tons, the idea of blasting all this metalwork into space for a laugh is a nonsense. Some of the experiments left on the moon are still working today.

Mars is a lot further away.

But the fact that Mars is further away shouldn't matter as there was no time constraint when navigating a boulder on Mars, as oppossed to the MOON where there is a Hollywood perect pan of a high speed event despite all the discussed delays and restrictions.

Concorde first flew in 1969, I suppose that was another pile of junk that couldn't possibly work.

Could a techy sitting in London (in 1969) pan a camera mounted inside Concorde to take pictures of lunch, just as it was served mid way over the Atlantic and then have the pictures beamed back before the plane landed?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Out of all the conspiracy theories put out there (9/11 organised by the yanks who couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery, Queen Liz orders a hit on the Queen of all our hearts godfather style or Elvis working in BK to name a few) the moon landings is the one I’d be least surprised to be exposed as being filmed by 2 students in Shepperton studios. That said, If I had to put money on it, I still think they have been simply because it would have come out by now if they hadn’t.

My favourite conspiracy theory is that the Hydrogen car has been invented but has been patented and stashed away by all the major oil companies. Brilliant.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This may seem a bizarre question, but how does a space shuttle land BACK on Earth, on return from the Moon/outer space?

Surely it has to come down nose down, or does it land more like a plane?

OR WHAT!??!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But the fact that Mars is further away shouldn't matter as there was no time constraint when navigating a boulder on Mars, as oppossed to the MOON where there is a Hollywood perect pan of a high speed event despite all the discussed delays and restrictions.

It's far from perfect - they came in a little late. I've seen better camera work on Babecast.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
another thing I am not convinced actually happened, by the way (the 66 world cup).
Indeed. Bobby Moore had actually died in 1963 and they used a body double. The whole tournament was stage managed by Wilson's Labour government (that's why England wore red in the final), to show themselves in a good light. The final itself been done in the morning and shown 'live' in the afternoon (the shadows are all wrong as everyone knows). And they had to redo the third 'goal' eight times before Hurst got it right! It's a wonder that none of the players, officials, spectators, TV crews etc has ever revealed the truth, but of course 'they' have ways of supressing this stuff. *taps nose*

Oh and also World War 2 never happened. It's just an international conspiracy to make us feel sorry for the Jews.

So moon landings, pah! The masons would never have allowed it, that's why they had Kennedy killed.

Anyway I'm off to stick my head in a collander to stop the government brain rays from affecting me.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
or does it land more like a plane?

Correct.

The shuttle bottom is clad with heat resistant tiles. Columbia burnt up when attempting re-entry due to a hole in the heat shield suffered during launch 7 days earlier.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And as Lokki pointed out to me the other day (I know him in real life too. Believe that if you will) Neil Armstrong doesn't do interviews either. I'm ambivalent but would love it if it was all a bit Capricorn One.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here