Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

40th Anniversay of the moon landings

Has man ever set foot on the surface of the MOON?

• Yes

Votes: 57 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 27.8%

• Total voters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ow long ago was that, cg and did you see that excellent bbc4 documentary on Sunday about him, his reclusiveness and his (apparent) refusal to do interviews.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well lets just say that if we didnt then, Im sure we have since but as its not *newsworthy* any more its all gone unnoticed. We are far too pre-occupied with celebs and MJ and Peter & Katie.

So Im saying yes.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Remotely from the Earth to a moon buggy with technology from 1969 and an apparant 6 second delay? I don't buy it.

I thought the Clangers did the filming.

The Clangers operating a moon buggy? I don't think so.

Bingo from the Banana Splits, on the other hand...

sealtrainingthumb.jpg

Can it really be coincidence that they haven't been seen since the Apollo programme ended?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
personally I dont believe the technology was THAT good back in the 60s to get Man on the Moon, I think it was a massive Hoax simply to scare off Russia.

I mean with all these massively powerful telescopes have we EVER seen the actual landing site recently with the aid of these scopes?? afterall stuff was left there, footprints will still remain....I will wait to be proved wrong on this of course!

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
I mean with all these massively powerful telescopes have we EVER seen the actual landing site recently with the aid of these scopes?? afterall stuff was left there, footprints will still remain....I will wait to be proved wrong on this of course!

Not good enough (and neither is the Hubble telescope). Lots of clever maths and reasoning here

Can you see the flag on the Moon with a telescope?

which ends with:

As of today, spotting the Flag on the Moon (from Earth using a telescope) remains impossible. The only method that could be used to (in theory) see something as small as the Flag on the Moon would be to use two optical telescopes set (for example) 1000 miles apart. This would easily provide the required resolution, the huge problem however is combining the images from both telescopes in such a way to realize the resolution. As far as I know right now that technology is not available. Even if the technology was available, the unsteadiness of the Earth's atmosphere would likely render the method useless.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Not good enough (and neither is the Hubble telescope). Lots of clever maths and reasoning here

Can you see the flag on the Moon with a telescope?

which ends with:

As of today, spotting the Flag on the Moon (from Earth using a telescope) remains impossible. The only method that could be used to (in theory) see something as small as the Flag on the Moon would be to use two optical telescopes set (for example) 1000 miles apart. This would easily provide the required resolution, the huge problem however is combining the images from both telescopes in such a way to realize the resolution. As far as I know right now that technology is not available. Even if the technology was available, the unsteadiness of the Earth's atmosphere would likely render the method useless.

ok then what about that recent Moon Orbit Satellite from the ESA (I think) and any others that have been up there recently, surely now we should demand to see evidence as they can easily pic up the Flag/footprints etc etc

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
ok then what about that recent Moon Orbit Satellite from the ESA (I think) and any others that have been up there recently, surely now we should demand to see evidence as they can easily pic up the Flag/footprints etc etc

NASA's LRO . Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter . is one to watch out for. First pictures have a resolution down to 3m (I think)

Of course, even if photos were published, why should the doubters be any more convinced? If you can put on a show as huge as the apollo missions, it would be pretty easy to fake a distant photograph.

Good luck Mr Gorsky!
I wish the story was true.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Why would you believe that, but not the other evidence? Why can't the MOS pictures be faked?

What about the distance measuring equipment which was placed on the moon by 1 of the Apollo missions? It was some kind of laser reflectors which can still be used today.
Also, if the moon landings were fake, why did NASA use a British company for it's radio communications to the moon?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Slightly on topic, but my favourite NSC post BAR NONE was when the British space rocket built and guided by blokes who looked like they were refugees from Time Team somehow mislaid the spacecraft just before it was scheduled to land on Mars, to general ridicule on here. At which point Marc got all IRATE and posted the legendary angry retort: 'Well why don't YOU try landing a spacecraft on an alien planet then!' :rant:

Still makes me chuckle :lolol:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I would love it if it turned out to be made up. That would be f***ing fantastic.

The jeep thingy is my most suspect thing. Its all too James Bond. Why f***ing fire a car 1/4 million miles just to drive round for 100 odd yards or so in a comedy fashion?

Just for the record, the Lunar Rover on Apollo 17 (the most recent manned-trip to the moon) drove some 19 miles in total and at a maximum speed of 12km per hour :ohmy:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
This may seem a bizarre question, but how does a space shuttle land BACK on Earth, on return from the Moon/outer space?

Surely it has to come down nose down, or does it land more like a plane?

Yes, that's exactly what it does - thus making it re-usable :shrug:
Do you not watch TV?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Slightly on topic, but my favourite NSC post BAR NONE was when the British space rocket built and guided by blokes who looked like they were refugees from Time Team somehow mislaid the spacecraft just before it was scheduled to land on Mars, to general ridicule on here. At which point Marc got all IRATE and posted the legendary angry retort: 'Well why don't YOU try landing a spacecraft on an alien planet then!' :rant:

Still makes me chuckle :lolol:

i'm here for your pleasure :thumbsup:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Certainly think it was possible in '69' for the Americans to send a unmanned rocket to the moon ans bring it back,however to keep repeating why ? Then we have the issue of radition,we are ll aware of the ozone layer and the effects of the sun. So is it possible to travel in space and even land on the moon,yet never appear to suffer the effects of radition ? :shrug: :bigwave:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Then we have the issue of radition,we are ll aware of the ozone layer and the effects of the sun.

its called a space suit, with layers of foil embedded for this very reason. would you question the whole of space exploration, all the orbital missions, all the spacewalks then and since? or shall we assume they dealt with this problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here