Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 40-60 yr olds..can you assist?

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
I'm 41 and use Strava and Garmin most of all
Outside of those I use MapRun for orienteering events hosted by my club and Spond for communicating with members of my running club.
I have also used the following occasionally:
Zwift, MyWhoosh and Fiit

For more generic social media I have had a bit of a clear out and only really use WhatsApp and occasionally LinkedIn for work related stuff oh and occasionally I get sent Instagram links which I view briefly and then wonder why I bothered.

If it counts as social media, I use YouTube quite extensively for running, cycling and financial planning/economics content

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
NSC, FB & occasionally Twitter. I used to use Strava to see how far I'd walked with the dog & for knowing the way back, as I walk mindlessly & my sense of direction is terrible. I'm the worst person in the world to give someone directions!
I have thought of using the couch to 5k app before but every time I've tried jogging, I've found it boring, as I like to see what's around me. I don't like the idea of jogging past all the flowers, birds & trees I see. My middle age spread is spreading though! So I probably should do something about it!
Do a survey with Survey Monkey then you can get a more balanced opinion & people can post it for you as well. (y)

Edit to add... there's probably someone on here who has access to Qualtrics, I did until 2 months ago so I can't help but if you do do a survey the quality of data will depend on the questions you ask. If you use a BHA survey as a template it will be pointless. 🤣

Last edited:

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Posting on NSC & in WhatsApp groups, rarely Instagram but for info only
Strava, Garmin, 5K for tracking running, cycling, walking

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Bloody ageist thread. I'm 63.

To quote Jilted John, I'm so upset.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I'm 60 so at top end.

NSC obvs. Probably the most social media thing I do. Apart from WhatsApp but that's only between family or close friends in groups.

I look at FB every week or so. Hardly ever post. Don't have it on my phone, only desktop. Been using Instagram more recently, looking at stupid shite, never post anything myself. Occasionally look at X, will only be work related or Albion related.

Don't do anything fitness wise. Have been pretty good health so far, had a physical job up to 18 months ago, now sit in a chair so bought a multi-gym a couple of weeks ago off FB Marketplace, need to start using it now. Not into jogging because of my knees.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Happy to assist, although over 60

Use Insta, X and FB as social media, WhatsApp groups for organising and keeping in touch and also professional platforms such as LinkedIn.

Use apps for Sport, I.e. golf scoring and maps for walking.

Look after finance and pensions on apps

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Happy to help ..... 54 ..... today !!

just Facebook / messenger and WhatsApp to keep in touch with friends / family etc. i emigrated to NZ 7 years so that's very handy for me.

Perhaps more interestingly been on a fitness journey the last 3 or so years . My wife died suddenly aged 51 in 2019 so made me more health conscious. Always enjoyed weight training but finally bit the bullet and got my diet sorted and would consider myself more advanced now. Lost 25kg , gained strength and can see abs for the first time in my life! Central to that is the RP diet app and YouTube channel which is a great source of good scientific info about all things bodybuilding nutrition.

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020
I use Concept2 ErgData app on my iPhone linked to my rowing machine. A Garmin HR monitor paired with the rowing machine and iPhone to make sure I’m not going to kill myself. Renpho app, scales and blood pressure devices to monitor weight, etc like @dazzer6666 . I have only used the blood pressure monitor once because the results scared the shit out of me! I also like to tally it all up with the iPhone Health app. The NHS app is quite useful too.

As regards messaging, (i)Phone texting, WhatsApp & FB messenger. I’m not a political activist, etc, so no need for other ETE encryption apps.

As for social media, NSC (obviously), FB primarily (old school). I have LinkedIn, TikToc, X (formally Twitter) & Instagram accounts but rarely engage with them. No Only Friends account, sorry Astrid 😢 Does Friends Reunited still exist?

as for regularly visited web sites…

Last edited:

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
41 - social media - whilst I despise it, I just can’t seem to break the habit. I have Facebook which I mainly use for news having culled my “friends” from over 1500 down to under 50 And really only use it now for marketplace (which means I must use messenger but otherwise I don’t touch it). I use WhatsApp regularly and follow the Albion and a few of the BHAFC accounts on Twatter/X. I have instagram and twitter but never post anything. My guilty pleasure is YouTube and TikTok. I do watch a fair bit of shit on there but again, never post anything.

I do play a couple of games on my iPad/phone - Star Wars galaxy of heroes and solitaire.

otherwise it’s BBC sport and news apps, various smart homes apps (hue, Alexa, SmartThings, wiser home etc), TV streaming (Netflix, Disney+, I-layer etc on my iPad), IMDb and eBay occasionally.

For fitness, I use the apple health app. Keeps track of steps, walks, cycles and can manually add my karate sessions in.

i tried the NSC tap talk app but hated it so I reverted to browser for NSC.

And mobile banking.
it’s a lot more than I thought now I’ve written it out.

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene

The only social media I use is NSC and X.

Regular websites are BBC News / Sport as I tend to think these are the most trustworthy.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Doing that at the mo. Week 5!
Great stuff. Stick at it. You'll be amazed how far you can run eventually. When I first used that a decade ago it was genuinely difficult to get through a minute. Ever since - apart from the odd break for illness or injury - I've tried to get 3x5k in a week, with occasional forays into 10k territory. Park Run on Saturdays is a great way to get motivated. Overall, worth knowing you really don't need to push that hard to get fit. 2-3 pretty gentle runs a week and 1 where you push a bit harder work wonders.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm 40.

I'm still on Facebook but rarely post on it and just use it for groups/events. I post a bit on Instagram and browse it more. I use WhatsApp/Messenger if that counts. I use Strava for tracking my runs and bike rides.

Then obviously NSC.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I’m in qualifying range. Websites, not many really at all: all football and news, inc Guardian, DT, Argus and BBC a side from NSC. Social media: proudly none, deliberately so. Use WhatsApp though. I have a Fitbit and use daily to monitor exercise. Can’t get it to synch down my local mind, must be in a black spot. Hope helps!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
49 - use Reddit a bit but more for browsing than contributing, NSC, WhatsApp but other than that not much. I don't use any social media except LinkedIn for work but only look at it once every 3 or 4 weeks mostly to clear my inbox and almost never post or comment on anything. At a conference I presented at a couple of weeks ago someone said they'd tried to stalk me "in a good way" and could find almost nothing about me online - I like that but it confuses my old boss who was very driven by having a public profile and reputation where all that just doesn't bother me at all.

In the context of the work you're describing I go to the gym 4 times a week, use Reddit to establish what routines to follow, YouTube if I need a hand understanding something, and track everything in a Google sheets file I made rather than an app. Happy to discuss further if it'd be any use.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here