Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 40-60 yr olds..can you assist?

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Does a subscription to Private Eye count?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’m doing some preliminary research for a project I’m cooking up..

I’m enquiring as to what social media platforms 40-60 yr olds use on a regular basis.

Also, what apps or websites do you use or visit registry. Fitness apps, that kind of thing.

I realise that’s quite a broad request but any insight would be appreciated.

I’m embarking on a podcast and book project aimed at middle aged people who are trying to get themselves back in shape / improve their health after maybe a few years of inactivity, for whatever reason.

Any insights or experience you’d be comfortable sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks NSC folks!

Over to you…
The only social media (if it’s classed as SM) is NSC

I use whatsapp & MMS to message, can’t think of anything else tbh, i’m 54

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
56. For fitness, I use the gym, treadmill in my apartment and the community pool. For social media, I use NSC, Instagram and LinkedIn. No correlation there I’m afraid.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
59. Use facebook quite a bit. Twitter only for browsing, not tweeting. It’s usually the first place I find team news on match days. Regular websites used only really here & BBC

As for Apps used, I’d be lost without iPlayer and a backgammon and cribbage app on my commuting days.

As an aside, if it wasn’t for smartphones, I’d hardly use t’internet at all. I stare at a computer screen all day at work so don’t want to be doing that outside of work.

Last edited:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I think it's also good to understand how people use the various platforms eg I use twitter for updates but never add anything myself.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I spend way too long browsing reddit. Used to do the facebook, twitter thing but gave up fb 5 years ago and elons turning twitter into an alt-right hell scape.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
I'm 48, so What's App, Facebook, Instagram are my social media apps. I use Samsung Health to track steps and YouTube to delve into Yoga with Adrienne every once in while, but more often than not I make up my own routines now.

Other websites, NSC, Guardian for news and debate.

I love walking, it's the best way I find keeping myself fit, so several apps help me with that. Flight Radar 24 gets me out planespotting as I'm near Heathrow. Netweather Radar app to plans walks dodging the showers. Ancestry has been a real boon these last six months walking around the local area seeing where my family use to live in the 19th century.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I use FB and Twitter all the time, and NSC of course. I use the BBC News and BBC Sports app a lot, and I do look at news based websites all over the place.

Listen to a couple of podcasts weekly.

I’m an enthusiastic eBayer, both buying and selling.

I administer my website on a daily basis and generally look around the web for music and football shirt related stuff.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Weirdly, my friends contact me less frequently these days. I use MySpace and Friends Reunited.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Happy to help when you do the questionnaire.

For the social media question, I’m not someone who really uses this stuff.

Never used Facebook (I’d have been banned long ago as I don’t care if you are feeling sad or want to see what you had for lunch, etc). I have Twitter/X but only for following certain things and very rarely post. I only have Instagram to see the menu for our work canteen as that is where it is posted in advance. No interest in the likes of Snapchat or TikTok.

If you are considering WhatsApp as a social rather than a communications tool then yes, I do use that.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
56 year old fatty.

My online time is pretty much 100% spent on twitter/NSC/ whatsApp/Spotify/BBC/Guardian/Netflix/Disney+/You tube
The only fitness apps I have ever used are the one with whichever pedometer I am using.

Spend a lot of time listening to Podcasts, but would have no interest in listening to one about fitness.
Would rather listen to something to distract myself from exercising.

As a long term fatty, I am fully aware of all the things I should be doing - I just struggle with actually doing them.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I use lifelog on my phone sometimes to record walks we go on and another app that I can't remember the name of and can't find my phone at present. Towards the upper age limit if you hadn't guessed.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh great Zeus

I am too old to be listened to.

😞😞😞

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here