Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 40-60 yr olds..can you assist?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m doing some preliminary research for a project I’m cooking up..

I’m enquiring as to what social media platforms 40-60 yr olds use on a regular basis.

Also, what apps or websites do you use or visit registry. Fitness apps, that kind of thing.

I realise that’s quite a broad request but any insight would be appreciated.

I’m embarking on a podcast and book project aimed at middle aged people who are trying to get themselves back in shape / improve their health after maybe a few years of inactivity, for whatever reason.

Any insights or experience you’d be comfortable sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks NSC folks!

Over to you…

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
I’m towards the older end of that age bracket.

Does WhatsApp count as social media? That really is the only one I use.

Regular apps/websites - NSC (natch), BBC, The Guardian, various games and puzzles, banking app…. That’s about it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'd make a short survey to gather this info to make your life a little easier in terms of collating responses!
Absolutely, thank you.

That is definitely what I’m going to do.

I was just looking for an overview on here to start with.

I’m quite clueless with the online survey thing but I believe I’ve seen something like that on here before?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
NSC and LinkedIn are the only social media I use - the latter for professional reasons. Other than that just news websites, Wordle and receipe websites.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm in this bracket and use Samsung health to track my steps, walking, running etc. I also intermittently use the NHS Weight Loss app to calorie count if my weight gets up to a certain level.

I'm one of those people who thinks they don't eat or snack much but actually, in the context of 2,500 daily calories, I really do.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sorry I'm not in your age bracket... but i regularly use Whatsapp/FB Messenger to keep in touch with F&F, avid consumer/subscriber of Facebook, and YouTube channels/podcasts, and because of the younger members of the family regularly find myself on Instagram or TikTok.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Facebook - I have access to the old band account, but the band are currently not active. I do still have a nose around if I’m bored. I don’t post anything
X - mostly for football gossip. I don’t post anything
Linked In - since I started looking for a job, I’ve become a lot more active on LI and have reconnected with old colleagues and friends. I mostly comment, rarely start posts…
I hope that helps, I’m 52

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
58, former jogger now regular gym rat (also formerly 18 stone). Renpho app for weight and composition info (linked to ‘smart’ scales), strava for tracking cardio minutes, Suunto watch and app for recording outdoor running (which then auto uploads to Strava anyway). Happy to help if I can.

https://uk.surveymonkey.com not a bad place to start, easy to use and think you can get 10 questions on their free package.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
58, former jogger now regular gym rat (also formerly 18 stone). Renpho app for weight and composition info (linked to ‘smart’ scales), strava for tracking cardio minutes, Suunto watch and app for recording outdoor running (which then auto uploads to Strava anyway). Happy to help if I can.

https://uk.surveymonkey.com not a bad place to start, easy to use and think you can get 10 questions on their free package.
I'd make a short survey to gather this info to make your life a little easier in terms of collating responses!
This. You need structured data @The Clamp and surveymonkey is as good as anything.

I’m sure NSC will be fine with you putting it on here.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
just outside (older) the age bracket but

Apps
whatsapp, garmin and strava (track my cycling), twitter,Grindr!, physiapp (Phusiotherapy exercise tracker)renpho , bbc news, bbc sport,bbc weather,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here