Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4-5-1-The answer to everything.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
I'm so glad I finally decided to go at just 5.30pm, so close to not going! Really thought we'd lose. Why? us running out of steam against another top team. Was I wrong? The complete opposite in-fact. Tonight we showed good width and pace, a secure unit in the middle and a very sound back-four (untill the last minute, but hey, it wouldn't be right without one). Really liking just having the one man upfront. Navarro is much more involved and important playing the holding role than the extra striker feeding off less possession.
The 2 infront of Navarro looked potent tonight. I imagine a lot of people thought it was a poor game for Croft. What I noticed was he didn't get alot of the ball, instead he was forcing the opposition into a frustrating game in giving them little space and time to play the football they wanted. Crofts was the one who kept the opposition hurried and enabled us to take control. Dicker had a very good game with the ball, linking up well with everyone whilst keeping it composed, played a key part in both goals too.

Bennett and LuaLua have given the team sting when going forward as we now can stretch teams like we did tonight. Both wingers would be a handle for any team in our league. Murray up-front on his own with wingers and more possession will surely improve his game as he did once describe himself as 'an old-fashioned centre-forward who likes getting on the end of crosses'. He's good with his feet so I'm sure he'll be be able to handle himself on his own like he did against Leeds. The pace of Holroyd showed a danger tonight when he came on, he did well not that he did loads but you could tell the Charlton defenders were well aware of him especially when we hit them on the break. Forster wasn't great tonight, looked slow off the mark and was caught too often offside. Maybe it is Forsters dying days?
The back-four look organised and alot more secure now navarro sits infront of them. El-abd is becoming more and more complete, back from injury and a fine performance.
Much more optimistic with this new looking formation and team. I'm hoping Gus sticks with it and we'll see more performances like this. I could see us finishing top half of the table if we stick with this.

Cracking post dude :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is also interesting to note that NONE of the "experts" who post on here about our deficiencies has ever suggested that this was the way we should play...instead Gus had to think of it himself, on his own, alone.

Perhaps he does know what he's doing after all eh?

Not true as I was told I was being arrogant when I suggested on another thread that we should play that formation and it was pointed out that a number of people suggested the same. In my defence I have suggested it to my brother and Ben some weeks ago when it was rumoured that we would be signing Andy Monkhouse from Hartlepool. So your statement is incorrect in that a number of people have suggested it in the recent past and that is not to detract from Gus and his ideas.

I don't think that is exactly true about the Norwich game as we played more of a 4 - 4 -1 -1 in the 2nd half with Dicker pushed forward behind and supporting Murray more so than in central midfield. Plus it was Lua Lua first game and he tired so Carole came on to do the same job but failed to have the same impact.

I think this formation even at home is the way forward with either Lua Lua or Bennett or both supporting the lone striker which means we are moving between 4 -5 - 1 to 4 - 4 -2 or 4- 4- 3 as required.

OK I'd forgotten about Carole being one of the subs and him being so ineffective. Fingers crossed on Saturday it is then.

Do you remember Barry Rees btw - it's 45 years since his death next month.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I didn't attend either but assume the onus was on the home team to take the initiative at both? Do you think Exeter will do that on Saturday (or are even capable of it)?
Actually, I don't care as long as we win.

I wouldn't say that particularly, I actually think both Leeds & Charlton found it very difficult to counteract the space some of our players are now getting, especially the wingers, the thing with the formation we are playing now is that it isn't a defensive one because whenever we attack it changes to a 4-3-3 which is obviously a more attacking formation. I'd be happy if we played the same at home because it is an effective formation and has proved that in our last few games. like someone said earlier, Chelsea won the league with exactly the same formation, I'm not comparing them to us obviously but it shows that it can work at home and away from home.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
4-5-1 worked v well last night yes BUT it's surely not the answer to everything as you have to take into account who you're playing and if you're home or away (althought this season we've been a lot better away!) - It is a formation that will work well against the top teams yes - maybe play it similar at home Sat but with Bennett and Lua Lua further up field making it 4-3-3 when attacking...?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
OK I'd forgotten about Carole being one of the subs and him being so ineffective. Fingers crossed on Saturday it is then.

Do you remember Barry Rees btw - it's 45 years since his death next month.

Yes I do he was a very good old fashioned wing half with great potential, but unfortunately we have heard this about potential at the Albion so many times but he was one I thought would make it very big.

Incidentally took granchildren home to Guildford on Sunday and went via Loxwood and noticed that the Sir Roger Tichbourne has re-opened is it now a free house or owned by Badger who bought out King & Barnes.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The sign of a good side is to be adaptable. I really think despite our terrible home form 2 strikers/forwards at home is the way forward. I see 4-5-1 as a counter attacking formation for away games.
At home i want to see us play with 2 up front and 2 wingers. We should be able to do that....

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The sign of a good side is to be adaptable. I really think despite our terrible home form 2 strikers/forwards at home is the way forward. I see 4-5-1 as a counter attacking formation for away games.
At home i want to see us play with 2 up front and 2 wingers. We should be able to do that....
Disagree, I don't think the formation we are playing is particularly a counter attacking one, granted our first goal last night was a counter attack but we looked capable of scoring when not on the counter also, the 2 wingers 2 strikers thing is a strange one for me, it should work at home, but it doesn't seem to..if 4-5-1 works then why change it? :shrug:

Yes I do he was a very good old fashioned wing half with great potential, but unfortunately we have heard this about potential at the Albion so many times but he was one I thought would make it very big.

Incidentally took granchildren home to Guildford on Sunday and went via Loxwood and noticed that the Sir Roger Tichbourne has re-opened is it now a free house or owned by Badger who bought out King & Barnes.

The Tich re-opened last April and is a free house - the local council wouldn't permit Hall & Woodhouse a change in use so they eventually bit the bullet and sold it. It's OK and the Mrs likes it but there's something not quite right; we've eaten there a few times and the food's been fine, it's particularly nice to sit out on the back terrace during the summer where there's stunning views accross the Sussex Weald to the South Downs. Btw have you found to the Blue Ship in the Haven yet?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by

I'm with you mate, at home we should be able to play with 2 wingers and 2 strikers against most sides. The difference now is Lua Lua is a decent winger to put opposite Bennett, Carole and Coz pretty much aren't

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

Croft is the captain, Dicker just got both assists and Navarro's showing real class right now playing a key-role infront of the back-four. All 3 bossed the charlton match. which one would you drop?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Croft is the captain, Dicker just got both assists and Navarro's showing real class right now playing a key-role infront of the back-four. All 3 bossed the charlton match. which one would you drop?

Im not the manager thats what he's paid to do.
Just because they all had good games dosent mean you cant drop one.

2 up top is essential in my opinion for home matches.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Im not the manager thats what he's paid to do.
Just because they all had good games dosent mean you cant drop one.

2 up top is essential in my opinion for home matches.

Who played upfront with Zamora?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Who played upfront with Zamora?

And the point is ?
I didnt realise Bobby was still smacking them in for us...

We dont have a Zamora anymore, if we did we would be top 2 whatever formation we put out

My point is, i beleive we should be playing 2 up front at home. 4-5-1 away from home or against top sides at home maybe... not at home to Exeter who are there for the taking, is that really that hard for you to get your head around.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
And the point is ?
I didn't realise Bobby was still smacking them in for us...

We don't have a Zamora anymore, if we did we would be top 2 whatever formation we put out

My point is, I believe we should be playing 2 up front at home. 4-5-1 away from home, is that really that hard for you to get your head around.

Glen Murray is easily capable of bagging 20 goals this season in terms of Zamora. Who does Glen need to play off? Don't you think its time to ditch our 2 upfront formation looking at the last 2 seasons at Withdean? Its no coincidence we're better from home. We have 3 available strikers which isn't much considering one of them is 36. you reckon because we're at home we should use 2 of them for the fact we're at home? I bet we go 4-5-1 on Saturday, Poyet did say it was time for change after the orient game and we've definitely seen one..

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Agree with the view that this formation suits our players well.

It is also interesting to note that NONE of the "experts" who post on here about our deficiencies has ever suggested that this was the way we should play...instead Gus had to think of it himself, on his own, alone.

Perhaps he does know what he's doing after all eh?
I suggested it as soon as we signed Lua-Lua. :lol:

I don't think we should play it at home against a side like Exeter though, it's a system much more suited to absorbing pressure and then breaking on the counter than for home games against struggling sides who will likely try and shut up shop.

Even though he has improved beyond all recognition I would still question whether we need to play Navarro at home, especially in this type of game. I would like to see Poyet go for it with Dicker and Crofts in the middle, two wingers, two strikers. This hasn't actually happened in that many games other than Southampton (under Gus).

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The difference now is Lua Lua is a decent winger to put opposite Bennett, Carole and Coz pretty much aren't

I'd agree with that. Playing 4-5-1 with two good, fast wingers means that we can break quickly and get behind defences. With Cox or Carole on the left they were always looking to come inside - and defences will just show them the outside and hold them up. I can also see more goals coming from Crofts and Dicker as they break into the box with more confidence - knowing that Navarro's sitting at the back in the centre.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Why do people assume playing 4 5 1 is negative? Are Chelsea and Barcelona negative teams? The formation allows us to play 451 without the ball, 433 when we attack. This formation works providing you have rapid wingers who can finish and a strong striker with good feet. We now have this, together with 2 midfielders who can play box to box and a deep sitting midfielder to lock the team together and allow the fullbacks to get forward as we saw against Chalton. Providing we can keep LuaLua for the rest of the season I would stick to this formation, if we are chasing the game we can sub a midfielder for a striker and go to an attacking 442...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here