Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4-5-1-The answer to everything.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I'm so glad I finally decided to go at just 5.30pm, so close to not going! Really thought we'd lose. Why? us running out of steam against another top team. Was I wrong? The complete opposite in-fact. Tonight we showed good width and pace, a secure unit in the middle and a very sound back-four (untill the last minute, but hey, it wouldn't be right without one). Really liking just having the one man upfront. Navarro is much more involved and important playing the holding role than the extra striker feeding off less possession.
The 2 infront of Navarro looked potent tonight. I imagine a lot of people thought it was a poor game for Croft. What I noticed was he didn't get alot of the ball, instead he was forcing the opposition into a frustrating game in giving them little space and time to play the football they wanted. Crofts was the one who kept the opposition hurried and enabled us to take control. Dicker had a very good game with the ball, linking up well with everyone whilst keeping it composed, played a key part in both goals too.

Bennett and LuaLua have given the team sting when going forward as we now can stretch teams like we did tonight. Both wingers would be a handle for any team in our league. Murray up-front on his own with wingers and more possession will surely improve his game as he did once describe himself as 'an old-fashioned centre-forward who likes getting on the end of crosses'. He's good with his feet so I'm sure he'll be be able to handle himself on his own like he did against Leeds. The pace of Holroyd showed a danger tonight when he came on, he did well not that he did loads but you could tell the Charlton defenders were well aware of him especially when we hit them on the break. Forster wasn't great tonight, looked slow off the mark and was caught too often offside. Maybe it is Forsters dying days?
The back-four look organised and alot more secure now navarro sits infront of them. El-abd is becoming more and more complete, back from injury and a fine performance.
Much more optimistic with this new looking formation and team. I'm hoping Gus sticks with it and we'll see more performances like this. I could see us finishing top half of the table if we stick with this.

Last edited:

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
One of the most positive and informative reports going. Thanks TT, working away in the W.Midlands, all I can do is watch SSN for any goals. The SSN guy at the Valley didn't know half of the Albion players by name so your report provides a much wider, and welcome, write-up of a great result.
Good work.:thumbsup:

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Good post - I agree with all of this. The big question is whether Gus will play 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 at home. Why change things for Saturday? As long as Bennett and LuaLua push up and support the striker we have more than enough fire power to beat Exeter, and the triumvirate of Crofts, Navarro and Dicker in central midfield gives the team a very strong spine. Of course, with 2 strikers on the bench you've always got scope to change it if need be, but I honestly think this shape is what works best for the group of players at our disposal.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
4-5-1 appears to be working a treat, I don't care if it's percieved as 'negative' at home but if we get results with it then lets stick with it!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
4-5-1 can easily become 4-3-3 with Lualaua and Bennett moving forward moreç certainly think this is the way to go when we've got fit wingers. What happens when Lualua leaves or there is an injury is a worry though and would look to get another similar player on loan perhaps as other than the awful keeper situation , with this tactic I think we are well-covered.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm sure Gus will describe Saturdays team as 4-3-3 and play exactly the same way as in the last three matches.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Considering we took the game to Charlton all evening, 4-5-1 appears negative on paper but proved without doubt that it can be an attacking formation given the right players. It suits the likes of Murray far more than Forster. The way we played imo if Murray had not been ill and played he would have caused no end of problems. This formation could easily be kept for Saturday and with 2 forwards on the bench, be changed to suit.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Agree with the view that this formation suits our players well.

It is also interesting to note that NONE of the "experts" who post on here about our deficiencies has ever suggested that this was the way we should play...instead Gus had to think of it himself, on his own, alone.

Perhaps he does know what he's doing after all eh?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The only thing I'd say is that while we look solid, difficult to break down, and the players seem comfortable in this formation, when we need to go looking for goals I think we might come unstuck, especially with our propensity to give the odd stupid goal away.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if we play 4-5-1 at home to Exeter.

Last edited:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I'm sure Gus will describe Saturdays team as 4-3-3 and play exactly the same way as in the last three matches.

I hope so.
The problem is that 4 across the middle down at Withdean seems so cramped. 5 across the middle would be more like a scrum. From the perspective I had that pitch last night looked tens of yards wider than ours.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
They key to 4-5-1 is that you have good strikers on the bench and you send your first striker out with instructions to run as hard and fast as he can from the start - no pacing himself for 90 minutes.

When he burns out, you bring on fresh legs with the same instructions.

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
Also interesting to note is that I was listening to a Wayne Rooney interview over the week-end about playing with or without a partner up front. He said he didn't mind but preferred to play on his own as he feels he has more freedom and doesn't have to worry about where his other striker is. Going on this and our last couple of performances I think we are heading in the right direction and Gus giving our strikers the freedom as he sees fit, if you have quality strikers theres no reason why you can't play just one up front.

Sure about what?

That playing 4-5-1 at Withdean on Saturday will be interesting. We reverted to this formation in the second half vs Norwich whilst leading 1-0; I remember it being quickly countered by Paul Lambert (brought on an extra forward for a defender), us inviting pressure by defending deeper and deeper as the game progressed until we eventually conceded a couple. Can't get enthusiastic about this tbh.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That playing 4-5-1 at Withdean on Saturday will be interesting. We reverted to this formation in the second half vs Norwich whilst leading 1-0; I remember it being quickly countered by Paul Lambert (brought on an extra forward for a defender), us inviting pressure by defending deeper and deeper as the game progressed until we eventually conceded a couple. Can't get enthusiastic about this tbh.

Even though we have just drawn at Leeds and beaten Charlton with the same formation? ok then.

Even though we have just drawn at Leeds and beaten Charlton with the same formation? ok then.

I didn't attend either but assume the onus was on the home team to take the initiative at both? Do you think Exeter will do that on Saturday (or are even capable of it)?
Actually, I don't care as long as we win.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I don't think that is exactly true about the Norwich game as we played more of a 4 - 4 -1 -1 in the 2nd half with Dicker pushed forward behind and supporting Murray more so than in central midfield. Plus it was Lua Lua first game and he tired so Carole came on to do the same job but failed to have the same impact.

I think this formation even at home is the way forward with either Lua Lua or Bennett or both supporting the lone striker which means we are moving between 4 -5 - 1 to 4 - 4 -2 or 4- 4- 3 as required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here