Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3941 - Crawley v Barrow

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
A fantastic crowd at the Broadfield today.
Highest gate in Blue Square Premier today & I believe Crawley's highest league gate.
The euphoria of the FA Cup trip seems to have continued with two home gates of over 3000 since the trip to Old Trafford.

I wonder where these new fans have come from?
Locals who have never followed a league club?
South Londerners or would be Albion fans who cannot/don't want to visit Withdean.

Either way if Crawley can regularly attract these sort of crowds against teams who bring no away support then I think they will do very well in League 2 & possibly higher?

A team very much on the up & good competition for the Albion to stay at least a notch further up the ladder than our north Sussex cousins.

Rumour has it they gave away around 2000 free tickets for game.

Newport County managed to get a home crowd of 4,221 when they were riding high, last season, in Blue Square South.

Against Havant & Waterlooville on a Monday night.

The night they won the league.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Rumour wrong - No free tickets yesterday. Just local footie fans cheering on there local side

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I went along to watch Crawley yesterday purely because I couldn't get to MK. It was a good day out and for £14 to see 5 goals and end to end football I enjoyed myself minus the rain. I lost count on how many chelski, liverpool and man u scarfs and tops I saw. I'd definitely go along again if I can't get to a Brighton away day, its just a shame all their fans sound like mockneys :D Jokiiiing.

I am the same, I live very close to the ground and go along when Brighton are away and I cant attend, they play very good football and I am sure that if the rabble on here that continually knock their good progress saw them play they would actually be impressed.

I am the same, I live very close to the ground and go along when Brighton are away and I cant attend, they play very good football and I am sure that if the rabble on here that continually knock their good progress saw them play they would actually be impressed.

I also watch Crawley occassionally when the Albion are away.
Am quite happy to travel up the A23 to watch the Town.

Now if the Albion were bottom of League 2 would our crowds be much higher than Crawley's of yesterday? Admittedly a winning team will attract more than a losing one in a higher division, however it gets you thinking, are Crawley potentially as big a club as the Albion?
If they had the ground the potential is certainly there.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I think Crawley will be a good bet for promotion next year, as I don't think there is much of a step up in standard between con and lge 2.

Is the stand opposite the main stand still the same, if so then I would imagine they need to do some redevelopement. There is no reason why a town of Crawleys size couldn't support a lge 2 team. I agree with whoever posted that an increase in crowds at Broadfield will have more of an impact on Chelsea/palace etc... than the Albion.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
, however it gets you thinking, are Crawley potentially as big a club as the Albion?
If they had the ground the potential is certainly there.

I'll field this one. No.

It takes a long time to build up a fan base. Remember the crowds Wimbledon got in the Prem? I work in Crawley. All the Crawley fans I work with have Prem sides they also support. These aren't kids either.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is the stand opposite the main stand still the same, if so then I would imagine they need to do some redevelopement.

It's not a stand at all at the moment, just a few steps of terracing.

The problem might be that the council own the ground, not the club, so I'm not sure how funding for re-development would work.

Oh, and for Edna, it's CTFC.net Fans Forum -> :: Go and have a chat with them. They're mostly a nice bunch. Just take no notice of BICH and Red, Red & Red!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sully, do you have to register to read it?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I was hoping Crawley going out of the cup would end the countless threads about them on here. Evidently not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No tubthumping this week Steve?

Oh, they've lost a quarter of their fans in a week.

900 down on last week.
Before the cup draw, they were averaging 1,800. So even if 3,031 is well down on 3,941, it is still about 65% up on their previous average. And when they ae in the FL next season, their gates will be MILES higher than some of the crap northern teams like Accy Stanley and Morecombe.

Oh, and some of the 3,941 for the Barrow game will have been enticed by the £5 entry they were offering for that particular game.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
It's not a stand at all at the moment, just a few steps of terracing.

The problem might be that the council own the ground, not the club, so I'm not sure how funding for re-development would work.

Oh, and for Edna, it's CTFC.net Fans Forum -> :: Go and have a chat with them. They're mostly a nice bunch. Just take no notice of BICH and Red, Red & Red!

Never been to Broadfield so don't know if this effects them or not, but from next season all FL clubs have to offer min. 200 covered seats to away team. Just as well we're leaving Withdean this year......

May 22, 2008
Just back home after spending 5 hours in
Steve evans office.
Must say that they are a very nice pro club
On the up.

Btw had a player sign there today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here