Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£30m For Squad Players

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The fact you don't rate Casper's distribution says it all really.. You're clearly clueless. It's his passing that makes him stand out!

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I stand to be correcetd, but didn't Tony Bloom finance the stadium as an interest free loan and not want any of it repaid until 2020? Also wasn't there something about converting some of the loan into shares? I don't fully understand the financial stuff, but what I do know is TB is a true fan. His family have been linked to the club and board since I first started going in the 70's. He's not in it to make a quick buck. Keep your fingers crossed your foreign owner/board doesn't get bored and take their cheque books with them.

As for players, I wouldn't swap Dean Hammond or Dan Harding for Marcos Painter or any of our centre midfielders. Murray is easily as good if not better than Lambert. Bennet is top drawer and has the awards to prove it. Ask Norwich how good he is. Ankergren starts most of our moves off and is comfortable with the ball at his feet. He really is part of a back 5. Bridcutt is superb and getting better with every game, Calderon wanted by your club once upon a time and the list could go on, so your argument about outstsanding individuals doesn't really stack up. Thats why we are a class unit because those great individuals play as a great team, the way Gus and Tanno have taught them.

You're bloody dreaming if you think you will ever need a stadium with more than 35,000 capacity, even if you do make it back to the Premier. Don't bank of rugby money, thats pie in the sky and rugby really kanckers football pitches. Your catchment area is limited to a certain area, as is ours. I can't see us ever needing a ground that holds more than 35,000 and to be honest I'm happy with that. One of the biggest drawbacks for us has been Withdean because of the limited capacity, doesn't generate revenue, no atmosphere and a lot of existing albion fans don't go because its an awful place to watch football, despite the amount of success we have had there.

At the end of the day, our clubs are very similar in stature and capabilities. I wouldn't be as arrogant to say we are a bigger club than you. The problem is too many Saints fans on here think otherwise.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
This is what he has said, and it makes sense, it is the only way to give the club a secure long term future. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does not expect Tony Bloom to dip into his pocket for players.

At the Withdean we turnover £4m a season but at the Amex we will be over £15m. There will be a bigger pot of money to play with and spend on transfers but Bloom is not the sort to waste it. Look at who we signed this season, Ankergren, Poke, Calderon, Painter, Greer, Kishichev, Noone, Lualua, Sparrow, Bridcutt, Baz, Battipiedi, Barnes, Wood, Sandaza, Agdestein.
2 of these were on loan, 3 we paid transfer fees for totalling £500,000 and 11 free transfers.

There will be money available to sign some more players but it will be money the club has generated rather than Tony's pocket money. He is here asour chairman to make sure we run effectively and progress but he won't be throwing silly money around only what the club can afford.

Bloom has completely paid for our stadium and put aside more for training facilities, it is down to the club to take control of the playing side and ensure we get premiership football

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I don't know much about Brighton but it has been mentioned to me in the past that they have attracted large crowds in the past.

Sums you up with your "advice" on what numbers we need mate, you let your guard slip and a big fat lump of adkinsesque turd fell out. If you actually knew anything you'd appreciate our catchment area is massive, our players are better than yours, our manager is far better (even played the game) and our chairman is a local boy and lifelong Brighton fan. Times are changing right in front of your eyes. Get used to it and do try to keep up.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If in 2020 TB converts the £95M to shares, if we're in the Prem he'll have made a big profit as number of / % shares agreed previously? Champ about inflation? L1 or L2 a slight loss so would re-evaluate or start to drip the money back? Heard nothing that he'd want to buy us players or spend his own money like that, but just that he won't take profits from his generous interest free gift and instead let it all go back into the club to buy players and increase wages.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
£30m! Wow. I don't expect that this is anywhere near true. But if it was - I would expect promotion to the Premiership. Anything else would be a failure.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
And lets not forget that Brighton's value will increase as and when they become more successful. To buy alone come 2020 if we are regular in the two top leagues, the assets of the club alone will be worth more than TB paid if he ever wished to sell up and move on.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
£30m! Wow. I don't expect that this is anywhere near true. But if it was - I would expect promotion to the Premiership. Anything else would be a failure.

The first post says that £30m is put to one side for transfers over the next 5 years to get us to the Premiership, it won't take £30m to get there but may take that to stay there.

With the Amex, we will be generating an additional £11m a season if we are at 22,500 capacity and if we get to the premiership the extra money that will generate should help get some decent signings for a few years.

£30m doesn't sound much over such a long period of time if it is spent wisely

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If Bloom is aiming for a top six finish next season I'm guessing we'll have a top six budget.
How much will that be?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
A lot of loan signings go on in the championship, where the usual agreement is to spread wages costs between the two clubs.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
And lets not forget that Brighton's value will increase as and when they become more successful. To buy alone come 2020 if we are regular in the two top leagues, the assets of the club alone will be worth more than TB paid if he ever wished to sell up and move on.

I hope that's true but not many people have got rich by investing in football clubs, unless they were crooks (I'll let other people think of the names). People like Dave Whelan and the late Jack Walker have done wonders for Wigan and Blackburn but I don't think it made either of them rich.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I hope that's true but not many people have got rich by investing in football clubs, unless they were crooks (I'll let other people think of the names). People like Dave Whelan and the late Jack Walker have done wonders for Wigan and Blackburn but I don't think it made either of them rich.

JP McManus and John Magnier made a packet.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Sorry, but my mate is a Leeds fan and like me has the same opinion on Ankergren. He is rubbish, if a cross goes into the box he's flapping all over the place and his distribution is awful. The best keeper in the division is Smithies and he will be off in the summer. Calderon I'll give you is a quality player and would be playing for us had he not mouthed off on facebook about his move as Cortese pulled out straight away (not the first time, same thing happened with Elliot Ward, he likes to keep things under wraps and as soon as something becomes public knowledge, he pulls away). I don't know a lot about left backs in this division, only that Dickson is much much better than Harding and could be up there as one of the best, certainly was last season. Jose Fonte is the best CB in the division by a mile, and along with him i'd say Clarke at huddersfield is quality. Better Wingers? Lallana, Ox-Chamberlain has improved drastically, Pilkington, Boyd. Best CM at the moment is Kilbane at Hudders, although had he not got injured, would have been Damien Johnson. Center Forwards, obviously Mackail-Smith but also Lambert. He hasn't scored the goals he did last year but he was injured the first half of the season and didn't get fit until around xmas time. We had to play him as he was such an influence. The amount of assists he picks up is ridiculous. Last season I think he was top of the assist list as well.

However as a unit, you were streaks ahead of everyone else.

What an utter pile of horseshit. Go and read the league table and have a good, long, hard think and come back when you have worked out the answer. No wonder you lot are playing catch up if you still think Brighton do not have the best players in this league.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
What an utter pile of horseshit. Go and read the league table and have a good, long, hard think and come back when you have worked out the answer. No wonder you lot are playing catch up if you still think Brighton do not have the best players in this league.

My thoughts too, amazing that out of the back 5 we have got such a bad keeper with 20 clean sheets and only one defender that's any good :lolol:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
My thoughts too, amazing that out of the back 5 we have got such a bad keeper with 20 clean sheets and only one defender that's any good :lolol:

If you were to pick a best 11 players from league 1 we'd have most of the positions covered.

Calderon, Greer, Painter, Bennett, Bridcutt, Murray and possibly Lualua if he hadn't missed so much of the season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here