Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£30m For Squad Players

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
I think that is a credible figure.
Once top notch players start coming in, salaries will go through the roof. TB will need to keep us competitive to keep interest and season ticket renewals, sponsorship high and get matches televised more regularly.
A couple of million plus players, or big signing on fees plus the wholesale increase in wages over the next couple of seasons would blow 30 million in no time.

This is where i've stated you'll suffer. You'll need to have a bigger stadium that I know can be increased (but at what cost we don't know) but without in excess of 26/27,000 fans at games you're going to rely on your chairman.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
That's the same for us. Our stadium can be expanded to 55,000 i believe, not that we'd fill it. Cortese is looking into an expansion of our stadium as we progress. However the cost for us to increase the stadium is around 80% of that it cost to build it. As a result he has also looked into knocking the stadium down, developing the site and building a 40,000+ seater elsewhere. As we are also holding the Rugby World Cup at SMS in 2015 it is possible that the RFU could pay for this expansion and is something Cortese is actively seeking to happen.

80% of the original cost, strewth! Fortunately for us, the majority of major work has been completed. The increase in capacity should be swift and uncomplicated.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
This is where i've stated you'll suffer. You'll need to have a bigger stadium that I know can be increased (but at what cost we don't know) but without in excess of 26/27,000 fans at games you're going to rely on your chairman.

And you need to get promoted before you start worrying about us or any stadium expansion.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

We'll suffer how exactly? Negative clap trap from stains fan. Best you concentrate on not falling into the playoffs tbh, last thing you'd want is to meet Rochdale again this season! Why on earth would you need 40000 seats when you don't sell out 30000 at st fairies? Must be the Southampton way that cortese keeps spouting, the syndrome that turns a perfectly decent human being into an utter fucknugget :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
£30M over 4 or 5 years isn't all that much when it includes everything. A 3rd tier on the East Stand will be needed to get to 36,000 seats however making it a mirror image of the West Stand.

£30m over 5 years is not a great deal but is a significant commitment if true. If we add a couple of players in the close season and offload a couple and push for promotion we'll have a good year. If the game plan is we get in the top 6 next year and promotion the following then £30m will then be supplemented by the millions from just being in the premiership.

And by the way, the East Stand can never mirrow the West. There is only room to put one more tier on the East stand taking into account the height of the roof. They can't change one side of the roof because it is all linked and balanced as one. Alternative would be to take down the whole roof including the arches.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Good Job financing that with your crowds.... The one thing that isn't great about your stadium is it's size. Heck, even we won't be spending that much, yes we've spent in league 1, but we had to rebuild a squad from nothing. Harding, Fonte, Jaidi, Hammond Puncheon, Lambert and Barnard (off the top of my head) were all brought in otherwise we'd have been playing academy players. I would expect you to spend at most £2-3million in the next window as you have a squad that isn't full of top quality players, but that work hard for each other and are a top quality unit. I think you just need a couple of players tbh, a forward now Murray seems to be off and a bruising CM.

Well we clearly have more 'quality' than you, or anyone else in this league for that matter. We've been top since September and are already promoted in mid April.

Your comments about a 'bruising' CM make me laugh. Hopefully long gone are the days when our style of football needs a bruiser. We play the ball on the deck, we work hard and we build from the back with patience... tell me again about the 'Southampton style' you lot were planning on implementing?

You're not a big club anymore and won't be for a long while yet. Brighton are on the up and quite frankly your half compliments and snide remarks demonstrate nothing but jealously. But then again, that's fair enough isn't it? Who'd want to be a Saints fan right now? Adkins is an embarrassment and so is the mentality of a huge proportion of your fans.

I can't wait for us to beat you and I can't wait for you to sink to 3rd and lose the play offs.

Up the Albion.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
That would be absolutely ridiculous. I can't imagine any thing above £5M and Im expecting something like £2-3M.
You do realise dick knight isn't our chairman anymore?

It wouldn't surprise me if it was 20 million-ish:O
Although potless at the amex is still awsome:clap:

SirElliotBennett

May 5, 2010
West Stand Lower
That's the same for us. Our stadium can be expanded to 55,000 i believe, not that we'd fill it. Cortese is looking into an expansion of our stadium as we progress. However the cost for us to increase the stadium is around 80% of that it cost to build it. As a result he has also looked into knocking the stadium down, developing the site and building a 40,000+ seater elsewhere. As we are also holding the Rugby World Cup at SMS in 2015 it is possible that the RFU could pay for this expansion and is something Cortese is actively seeking to happen.

55,000? Where did you get that from. I heard the max it can be is about 35,000 with another tier on the east and all the corners being filled in.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yes but also the prices of season tickets may be a big thing,we can be very expensive and have the same income as you:)

You may have adult season tickets for 250 yet we are 380 minimum who knows!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A poker player like Bloom would never reveal to anyone outside of the club what the budget is for players. Agents would raise their asking price immediately if they thought the budget was going to be a lot more than expected. We can speculate and spread rumours as much as we like but I doubt any of us know.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I first heard this 'rumour/comment' about three weeks ago, but fearing I would get absolutely slaughtered I did not enter as a thread.

Thank you for those who have not crucified me.

I am very surprised and pleased, to actually see some constructive and sensible replies to the original statement.

The bottom line is that sadly in the scheme of things these days, £30m over 4/5 years is not that much.

Who could imagine these telephone numbers being spoken about now, back in August 97 as we stared down the barrel of a gun?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
We'll suffer how exactly? Negative clap trap from stains fan. Best you concentrate on not falling into the playoffs tbh, last thing you'd want is to meet Rochdale again this season! Why on earth would you need 40000 seats when you don't sell out 30000 at st fairies? Must be the Southampton way that cortese keeps spouting, the syndrome that turns a perfectly decent human being into an utter fucknugget :shrug:

Revenue streams. With a capacity limited to 22,500, how can you expect to be able to fund staff wages? TBF, i never said it was for this season, it's for the future, I also believe we've had over 30,000 about 3 times this season, 2 excluding Utd. I also think we'll hold into second, we'll see Saturday evening, if we win and hudders fail to gain 3 points, it really is ours to lose.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Well we clearly have more 'quality' than you, or anyone else in this league for that matter. We've been top since September and are already promoted in mid April.

Your comments about a 'bruising' CM make me laugh. Hopefully long gone are the days when our style of football needs a bruiser. We play the ball on the deck, we work hard and we build from the back with patience... tell me again about the 'Southampton style' you lot were planning on implementing?

You're not a big club anymore and won't be for a long while yet. Brighton are on the up and quite frankly your half compliments and snide remarks demonstrate nothing but jealously. But then again, that's fair enough isn't it? Who'd want to be a Saints fan right now? Adkins is an embarrassment and so is the mentality of a huge proportion of your fans.

I can't wait for us to beat you and I can't wait for you to sink to 3rd and lose the play offs.

Up the Albion.

Clearly, not fully understood my post. As individuals their are much stronger players in other teams, however as a UNIT you are top class, and are deservedly where you are. tit.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Yes but also the prices of season tickets may be a big thing,we can be very expensive and have the same income as you:)

You may have adult season tickets for 250 yet we are 380 minimum who knows!

I'm not sure how much season tickets will be this year, i'd imagine £400. how much are yours? i'd expect them to be fairly pricey to cover the costs of the Amex?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Clearly, not fully understood my post. As individuals their are much stronger players in other teams, however as a UNIT you are top class, and are deservedly where you are. tit.

Why do you think there are better players in other teams? Big names don't mean good players. A lot of our quality players are having their best season of their careers for us so only making a name for themselves this year - but doesn't mean that they're not as good just because they were relatively unheard of last year.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Why do you think there are better players in other teams? Big names don't mean good players. A lot of our quality players are having their best season of their careers for us so only making a name for themselves this year - but doesn't mean that they're not as good just because they were relatively unheard of last year.

I never said anything about big names. As individuals your players arn't as talented, as some other squads, however as a unit they are superior, which has shown.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I never said anything about big names. As individuals your players arn't as talented, as some other squads, however as a unit they are superior, which has shown.

I have to disagree, we have very talented players, they just happen to work well as a team as well. My point about big names is that they don't stand out so much as, say, Lallana, Pilkington or Mackail-Smith because they don't carry the team so much.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I'm not sure how much season tickets will be this year, i'd imagine £400. how much are yours? i'd expect them to be fairly pricey to cover the costs of the Amex?

Erm no the stadium was paid for independently from any money the club makes through ticket sales etc.
Given the fact the stadium was paid for with a zero interest loan that doesn't have to be paid back for years i'd persume all money generated by the stadium will be put back into the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here