Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£30m For Squad Players

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Am I the only who has heard the strong rumour, that on the back of his already £95m (or £19m according to Sky reporter..idiot), that to ensure his intention/ambition of being in the Premiership within five years, Mr Bloom had put to one side £30m for future players?

When I first heard this, I thought what a lot of....rubbish, and dismissed it out of hand like most of you will. But then I stopped to work out the financial numbers that come with a promotion to the Championship, never mind the Premiership, and there is a good business case for this to at least have some kind of truth behind it.

We know that on top of this, Mr Bloom has a certain 'gamblers' streak, and then it makes more sense.

Thoughts and comments please, but don't shoot the messenger. :albion2:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I've not heard that but would love it to be the case. However that seems simply way way way too much money for even TB to throw at us.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I heard some pretty heffty figures being mentioned a while ago, that were set aside as a warchest for Gus to go into battle with. Not £30m, but still a pretty impressive amount. Just as you, I posted nothing because a lot on here think mid table and staying up is the aim next season,lol....

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
That would be absolutely ridiculous. I can't imagine any thing above £5M and Im expecting something like £2-3M.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Good Job financing that with your crowds.... The one thing that isn't great about your stadium is it's size. Heck, even we won't be spending that much, yes we've spent in league 1, but we had to rebuild a squad from nothing. Harding, Fonte, Jaidi, Hammond Puncheon, Lambert and Barnard (off the top of my head) were all brought in otherwise we'd have been playing academy players. I would expect you to spend at most £2-3million in the next window as you have a squad that isn't full of top quality players, but that work hard for each other and are a top quality unit. I think you just need a couple of players tbh, a forward now Murray seems to be off and a bruising CM.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Begs the question of where you heard this rumour? I doubt it would be particularly prudent for Bloom to tell anyone his spending plans :shrug:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
That would be absolutely ridiculous. I can't imagine any thing above £5M and Im expecting something like £2-3M.

It'll be more than that over 5 years. Given TB has already said he wants top 6 next year I wouldn't be surprised to see us spend 5m in the summer. We need to if we're looking that high.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'll add a couple of quid to that £30m and if we all threw in a similar amount there's no reason why we can't have a sizeable transfer kitty for next seaon.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It'll be more than that over 5 years. Given TB has already said he wants top 6 next year I wouldn't be surprised to see us spend 5m in the summer. We need to if we're looking that high.

Yeah that makes more sense. And factor in wages perhaps. I take it back, "all in", and over 5 years, that is not ridiculous at all, and is actually rather pleasing :albion1:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Good Job financing that with your crowds.... The one thing that isn't great about your stadium is it's size. Heck, even we won't be spending that much, yes we've spent in league 1, but we had to rebuild a squad from nothing. Harding, Fonte, Jaidi, Hammond Puncheon, Lambert and Barnard (off the top of my head) were all brought in otherwise we'd have been playing academy players. I would expect you to spend at most £2-3million in the next window as you have a squad that isn't full of top quality players, but that work hard for each other and are a top quality unit. I think you just need a couple of players tbh, a forward now Murray seems to be off and a bruising CM.

Where does it keep coming from that we don't have top quality players? We have just as many top quality players as any other team in this league, but with the added bonus that they work fantastically in a team too. The only difference is that our top players are up and coming, or playing their best season yet for us, instead of them being big names that we've spent big on.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Depends what the £30m is for. £30m in fees? Massive, massive sum. £30m including fees and wages over the term of the new signings contracts is not. Still a very useful sum mind.

To clarify before I get chased off NSC like a witch hunt, the amount of £30m is the total amount for transfers, wages, agents and the like, to be spent over what ever term is required to achieve his ambition of getting to the promised land of the Premiership.

Again, before you all start laying into this thread, who amongst you thought the rumour that some guy was going to come along and throw £95m interest free at us to build a new stadium was true?

Quite rightly we were sceptical. That was true, and when you stop to think about it, £30m is probably about right over possibly 4/5 years to get into the Premiership. So why would this not also be true?

Lets hope so!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

You are aware that our stadium can/will be increased to 30,000 seats, hopefully within a couple of seasons? I don't consider that to be too small???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
£30M over 4 or 5 years isn't all that much when it includes everything. A 3rd tier on the East Stand will be needed to get to 36,000 seats however making it a mirror image of the West Stand.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Don't forget TB is forking out £15M for our brand new academy training ground and associated accommodation facilities :yahoo:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Over a period 30 million is very feasible. When you factor in tv right money, increased merchandise sales, increased stadium sales, increased season ticket sales, plus TB's donation... 30 mill over 4/5 years? It ain't that much in modern day terms... around 7 mill a season? It's a pretty average championship budget I would have thought.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
You are aware that our stadium can/will be increased to 30,000 seats, hopefully within a couple of seasons? I don't consider that to be too small???

That's the same for us. Our stadium can be expanded to 55,000 i believe, not that we'd fill it. Cortese is looking into an expansion of our stadium as we progress. However the cost for us to increase the stadium is around 80% of that it cost to build it. As a result he has also looked into knocking the stadium down, developing the site and building a 40,000+ seater elsewhere. As we are also holding the Rugby World Cup at SMS in 2015 it is possible that the RFU could pay for this expansion and is something Cortese is actively seeking to happen.

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
I think that is a credible figure.
Once top notch players start coming in, salaries will go through the roof. TB will need to keep us competitive to keep interest and season ticket renewals, sponsorship high and get matches televised more regularly.
A couple of million plus players, or big signing on fees plus the wholesale increase in wages over the next couple of seasons would blow 30 million in no time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here