Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 year banning order

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
My first reaction is that you shouldn't scream the c word at someone. Naughty. However, if you got warned by a steward and a few people told you to watch your language, that's probably as far as it should go.

Even a fine as a slap on the wrists.

But to be banned for 3 years is a joke. Couldn't you just come anyway? How would they know?
i have to take my pictures to à police station

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But to be banned for 3 years is a joke. Couldn't you just come anyway? How would they know?

Kind of depends on if the OP is known to the police for "other things" and if he has to report to a police station at the time of a match. If not then I'd risk it. When the club ban people they issue photos to the response stewards to try and prevent banned people entering the ground. Even if the police do this I'd suggest it's easy to hide within 22k people - he just needs to make sure he uses somebody else's name to buy the ticket.

That said you'd expect a fully grown adult to be over the "calling names" thing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i have to take my pictures to à police station
They're hardly going to check 20,000 people to find you.

Kind of depends on if the OP is known to the police for "other things" and if he has to report to a police station at the time of a match.
He won't have to report in every time we play, just for swearing once.

Even if the police do this I'd suggest it's easy to hide within 22k people - he just needs to make sure he uses somebody else's name to buy the ticket.
On a totally unrelated note, I often sell spare tickets on NSC.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have huge sympathy for anyone getting banned this year, the club has been extremely over the top with their banning orders. I'm extremely glad I got off with a two match ban for wazzing on a fence in hindsight, as there have been plenty of stories of long term bans since then. I'd like to think there is a route of appeal via petition to the club, but as it seems the ban has been handed out in a magistrates court, then I don't think there is that much the club can (or will want to) do about it.

Not just our club though is it? This was SCC wasn't it?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I know someone who was removed from the ground for shouting f.....g c..t at Withdean. Seems the penalty has gone up a tad. Was this at St Marys BTW ?

and anyway if the term was applied to Darren Sheldrake or Prosser or Chalice (for you oldies) then I think it is acceptable terminology.

Last edited:

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Im afraid that anybody stepping out of line in or around football is going to get the full force of the law especially in Brighton a Barrister told me that Judges have been instructed to make examples of any bad behavior that is football related . Its because there is not that much trouble down here and they want to keep it that way. last week all the spurs lads who were charged after the Aberdeen game pleaded not guilty ,come court day no witnesses turned up and they were free to go .However all the brighton lads were told to plead guilty so many of them will go to jail on first offences because its footgall related Im not condoneing there action for one minute iits the sentencing that is out of proportion compared with nonces and muggers . Im sure Rupert Murdoch has had a hand in this as a caviate to all the money he has put in to english football and putting preasure on who ever the gov of the day to crack down on those spoling his product in return for favourable press in his rags

Spot on.
And yeah,your right,and i hear one of the lads from Brighton only changed his plea the week before,to guilty,(JL),if it were me,i would sack my brief,for misrepresentation,change my plea to not guilty,as its odds on the witness wont turn up again.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Kind of depends on if the OP is known to the police for "other things" and if he has to report to a police station at the time of a match. If not then I'd risk it. When the club ban people they issue photos to the response stewards to try and prevent banned people entering the ground. Even if the police do this I'd suggest it's easy to hide within 22k people - he just needs to make sure he uses somebody else's name to buy the ticket.

That said you'd expect a fully grown adult to be over the "calling names" thing.

He would have to get on the database etc etc though.

If he uses a real person or is a STH friend or family that could put that STH at risk.

There are two spare seats a couple of rows in front of me, apparantly the STH's were banned due to a bottle throwing incident at St Marys - they obviously gave their ST's to friends for the Coventry game but the stewards still sent them home.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If the op flouts the banning order, then there's a possibility of a custodial sentence and any "advice" to do so is, to be frank, very stupid.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
There are two spare seats a couple of rows in front of me, apparantly the STH's were banned due to a bottle throwing incident at St Marys - they obviously gave their ST's to friends for the Coventry game but the stewards still sent them home.

I'm not sure how that works - surely it's the person that's banned not the ticket ? Therefore how did the stewards manage to get rid of the other people ?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I'm not sure how that works - surely it's the person that's banned not the ticket ? Therefore how did the stewards manage to get rid of the other people ?

The club only have to cancel the ST card.

They are technically "non-transferable" anyway.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
4 Legal Eagles

For intellectuals:

http://webjcli.ncl.ac.uk/2001/issue2/stone2.html

In a pub, if someone causes a disturbance, they usually get thrown out using reasonable force.

I heard from an ex-Police officer they wait for the assault and then charge him. However, if you are in America, so not expect this at all. They will arrest you before you have the chance.

Do I detect a change in tolerance?

I don't know what to think. After being bothered by scammers, the only way to get rid of them is tell them to "f*** Off".

But there is a going realisation that simple assault can be very damaging, say on a railway station when you could fall in front of a train. I think this is the trend.

FreeB.E.A.G.L.E.S.: Legal Advice for Activists (v4)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have huge sympathy for anyone getting banned this year, the club has been extremely over the top with their banning orders. I'm extremely glad I got off with a two match ban for wazzing on a fence in hindsight, as there have been plenty of stories of long term bans since then. I'd like to think there is a route of appeal via petition to the club, but as it seems the ban has been handed out in a magistrates court, then I don't think there is that much the club can (or will want to) do about it.

This incident isn't to do with the club though. The club have the power to ban individuals for whatever reason they see fit, as behaving on their terms is deemed a condition of entry to the stadium, a privately owned premises, and by buying a ticket, you are agreeing to comply with that.

This particular case is a ban imposed by a magistrates' court upon a criminal conviction. I think it's mandatory (I confess I haven't read the legislation for a while) for courts to impose a FBO for anyone convicted of a football related offence. If you'd been convicted of whatever you did in a court, you'd presumably be facing the same penalty, if it were deemed a football related offence.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
For intellectuals:

http://webjcli.ncl.ac.uk/2001/issue2/stone2.html

In a pub, if someone causes a disturbance, they usually get thrown out using reasonable force.

I heard from an ex-Police officer they wait for the assault and then charge him. However, if you are in America, so not expect this at all. They will arrest you before you have the chance.

Do I detect a change in tolerance?

I don't know what to think. After being bothered by scammers, the only way to get rid of them is tell them to "f*** Off".

But there is a going realisation that simple assault can be very damaging, say on a railway station when you could fall in front of a train. I think this is the trend.

FreeB.E.A.G.L.E.S.: Legal Advice for Activists (v4)

You really are incredibly strange.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Im afraid that anybody stepping out of line in or around football is going to get the full force of the law especially in Brighton a Barrister told me that Judges have been instructed to make examples of any bad behavior that is football related . Its because there is not that much trouble down here and they want to keep it that way. last week all the spurs lads who were charged after the Aberdeen game pleaded not guilty ,come court day no witnesses turned up and they were free to go .However all the brighton lads were told to plead guilty so many of them will go to jail on first offences because its footgall related Im not condoneing there action for one minute iits the sentencing that is out of proportion compared with nonces and muggers . Im sure Rupert Murdoch has had a hand in this as a caviate to all the money he has put in to english football and putting preasure on who ever the gov of the day to crack down on those spoling his product in return for favourable press in his rags

Scottish law is different on "Breach of the Peace". They are likely to charge you with "Threatening behaviour, affray" or whatever. Greater penalties and greater standard of proof. This alters the whole culture. You might find the enforcers are not bound by the code of law.

Jan 30, 2008
I went to football games in the late 60s and 70s, I know about language and violence at football games, been "there and done that" but the face of football has changed, it has and is becoming a far more family affair (Kids females etc etc) I am not supporting the sentance the OP got, but maybe "food for thought" for some :shrug:
yep ,stop taking young kids and women to football matches ???

Jan 30, 2008
Spot on.
And yeah,your right,and i hear one of the lads from Brighton only changed his plea the week before,to guilty,(JL),if it were me,i would sack my brief,for misrepresentation,change my plea to not guilty,as its odds on the witness wont turn up again.
what about the happy snapper who took the photos ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here